Traction Control

I went for a spirited drive today and discovered how violent the traction control can be on my zre152 Rolla, not fun. Does anyone know if there is a way to (briefly) turn it off? There is no off button.

I have heard a story about someone whose car also did not have a TC off switch so he found the fuse and connected a kill switch to it.

Surly there would be more than one thing running of one fuse, wouldn’t there? I doubt the computer would even start the motor without it on.

Any other way it can be done?

I went for a spirited drive today and discovered how violent the traction control can be on my zre152 Rolla, not fun. Does anyone know if there is a way to (briefly) turn it off? There is no off button.

I have heard a story about someone whose car also did not have a TC off switch so he found the fuse and connected a kill switch to it.

Surly there would be more than one thing running of one fuse, wouldn’t there? I doubt the computer would even start the motor without it on.

Sometimes the manufacturer is nice and does little things like that. If you can find a pinout diagram and someone who knows how to read it you could possibly add your own switch. But the old fuse trick might disable something else, like ABS or the interior light.

Poor *****....

There shouldnt be any conflict once the VSC is turned off, as that system is pretty much standalone. And anyway, if it does stop you, i'm sure that someone somewhere on these forums will find a way...

errr,

zre's dont' have TC/VSC..... Toyota is slowly making it standard on their cars.....but not for this model of corolla.

Extract from www.toyota.com.au

AB-i – Active Braking with intelligence - for all conditions

True to its heritage, Corolla makes safety a priority. All models are equipped with Toyota’s advanced AB-i braking system, which combines Anti-skid Braking System (ABS), Brake Assist (BA) and Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD). AB-i is standard on all Corolla models, and delivers uncompromising stopping power in virtually any conditions.

• Anti-skid Braking System (ABS) – ABS allows you to continue steering under heavy braking. It prevents the wheels from locking up by rapidly ‘pulsing’ the brake on each wheel independently. This helps you retain control of steering and helps prevent the vehicle from skidding.

• Brake Assist (BA) - Designed to assist you in emergency braking situations, where you can’t apply the high pedal force required to obtain the shortest possible braking distance. BA interprets a quick, hard push of the brake pedal as emergency braking and supplements the braking power so that the car slows rapidly.

• Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD) – EBD minimises your stopping distance by maximising braking power to the wheels that have the most grip. It also adjusts automatically to increased load, moving brake force from the front to the rear to ensure maximum brake-force is delivered.

not sure what you think traction control is but this is certainly not traction control.

traction control (or ESP electronic stability program) is all about applying the brakes on each wheel independently as needed to get the car moving in the direction the driver is trying to put it.

for instance, a truck is driving in front of you and some of its load falls off the back, you swerve right into the right hand lane, and the wheels start to slide, which would take you off the road, so you turn left to counter it, a normal car would just keep skidding off road, a car with traction control would apply the brake of the rear left wheel which would then turn your car in the direction you want.

it takes input from the steering wheel, from each wheel, and each brake, and there is a series of sensors in the car which work out which direction the vehicle is traveling in compared to the direction of the steering wheel.

Dave

Then what is it that making the car jolt around when the wheels begin to lose grip? Its like its stabbing the brakes repeatedly. My last car didnt even have ABS so I dont know much about this stuff.

Edited by -ALFI-

how come sportivos have this same problem some times or is it just mine lol

or is this somethign diffrent with sportivos

What, axle tramping?

Try and take off without spinning the wheels and the problem is solved, or your engine mounts are stuffed.

how come sportivos have this same problem some times or is it just mine lol

or is this somethign diffrent with sportivos

What, axle tramping?

Try and take off without spinning the wheels and the problem is solved, or your engine mounts are stuffed.

yeh it only wen i release teh clucth fast and the wheels start spining . i know not to do that now lol

:whistling: :whistling: WTF :whistling: :whistling:

My ZRE152 doesnt have any stability control, only braking assist and anti-lock brakes. I was under the impression that perhaps the 08 models had an upgraded loadout with some sort of vehicle stability control - judging by Alfi's post. I know that the ABS is quite severe and really kills all brake feel, but it could be your inside wheel spinning and making the car shudder.

So I guess theres no way to stop it then, other then to drive "gently", its just not that sorta car hey. Oh well, my CBR F4i does 0-100kmh in under 3 seconds, that totally makes up for it, hahaha.

Does anyone know if the 152 series will be coming out with VSC/TC..? and when?

Apparently middle of 2008, as Toyota admitted it was a mistake not to have it standard across their entire corolla range.

Also, without VSC & TRAC from now (or next year, cannot remember) onwards all cars cannot get into the 5 star crash rating category.

Apparently middle of 2008, as Toyota admitted it was a mistake not to have it standard across their entire corolla range.

Also, without VSC & TRAC from now (or next year, cannot remember) onwards all cars cannot get into the 5 star crash rating category.

i guess it shouldnt be too far away then.....

Anyone know if its possible to add VSC/TC when it comes out on the zre without them now?

Edited by sugizo_esp

apparently it can be added. All you need is to add those sensors and to put some new computer hardware and firmware into the car and your done...

so technically it could be done. Wether Toyota plant to update the previous line up, remains to be seen.

It could also hurt the resale value of the current corolla line up. So they need to be careful.

So I guess theres no way to stop it then, other then to drive "gently", its just not that sorta car hey. Oh well, my CBR F4i does 0-100kmh in under 3 seconds, that totally makes up for it, hahaha.

:toast: I hear yah. ever since i started riding, I stopped driving like a maniac. haha

also, i don't really see the point of having Traction Control on these cars. Judging by how "intrusive" the ABS on the sportvio is (try threshold braking on a skid-pan without the ABS having an epileptic fit), i wouldn't be surprised if Toyota turns the new range into granny-cars with their conservative/annoying/intrusive TC settings.

Edited by qkslvr