Any issues in ultima/levin ZR? vs mazda 3 which one better?

I am helping my female friend to buy a car.

We are comparing Toyota Ultima vs mazda 3 sp3 since similar in price.

Which one do you think better? or have you compare it before with mazda 3 when you buy toyota corolla?

Any issues with Toyota ultima or levin zr since they have all the latest gadget and technology such as smart key, bluetooth etc?

can the smart key link to the driver seat/side mirror window?

Do you think it is worth it to get the ultima instead of conquest?

if you don't mind, could you please let me know how much did you pay for ultima or conquest driveaway and which state/dealer?

preferably in melbourne but don't mind from other states.

please let me know.

Thanks.

IMO i'd recommend the mazda 3 (not to be a traitor)

i just found out corolla doesnt have ESP stability control....this one let me down...

but toyota has latest gadget, more cargo space, 7 airbags (but hm..only 4 stars ncap and mazda 5 stars)

headache....need to inform her about this....

any other comments?

i'll go for ZR all the wway caz of the cool gadgets

mazda has got pretty bad road noise

as for ESP, you can wait til later this year and see if they would bring it out around aug/sept

but ZR doesnt have leather seats...thats a down

Other then that...i'll choose a ZR any day

IMO i'd recommend the mazda 3 (not to be a traitor)

i just found out corolla doesnt have ESP stability control....this one let me down...

but toyota has latest gadget, more cargo space, 7 airbags (but hm..only 4 stars ncap and mazda 5 stars)

headache....need to inform her about this....

any other comments?

Since when does the corolla only have 4star crash safety? But anyway, go for the mazda 3, it handles better than the corolla due to a low centre of gravity, and ESP. But if you're after sheer practicality and traditional engineering, go the corolla...

Ah bugger what a shame you're not in SE QLD, my dealership sells Toyota and Mazda. Go the SP23 if you want better handling, performance and stability, go the Levin/Ultima if you want smart start/entry, xenons, rain sensing wipers etc.

Actually, tell your friend to hold off 'til next year - brand spanking new Mazda3 due. Should be a fantastic piece of gear and more than likely there'll be a SP25 considering the new 6 has dropped the old 2.3. Hmmmm... new 3MPS with blown 2.5! C'mon Toyota, hurry up with the TuRD Corolla before it's too late!!!

I don't think she can wait till next year but another few months but I need to double check with Toyota how soon ESP will apply to corolla.

Opss..sorry, toyota corolla 2007 has 5 stars rating ANCAP.

Yeah...I already explained to her in terms of handing get mazda 3 and in term of comfort/features get toyota and will let her about mazda 3 replacement next yr.

Thanks people.

If you own corolla auto (any model, since they have all the same engine).

Have you notice that the engine sound loud when you press the pedal?

We compared corolla ultima to mazda sp23 and the engine noise from corolla very noisy or was it because the way she drive it?

I noticed when she drove it steady like 80km, it is ok though, only when start from idle and changing gear the rpm going up high and drop fast when she release the pedal and when she pressed it again it is up fast and roar engine noise coming up, I think because she didn't press the pedal steadily/consistent instead up and down.

I understand mazda sp23 and corolla ultima has different engine but corolla so noisy and the fittings inside not as neat as mazda.

Can you share your corolla engine noise? especially if you compare to mazda 3 before.

Review said mazda bad road noise but I feel corolla more noisier compare to mazda.

Also, if you own corolla ultima, can you adjust the bluetooth settings, it seems that when we tested, the other end cannot hear us clearly.

The good point for corolla is less fuel consumption and more functions but she doesn't care for bigger engine of sp23 but we just concern the engine noise in corolla.

Finally, if you don't mind sharing, how much did you purchase for Corolla conquest or Ultima?

Thanks.

If you own corolla auto (any model, since they have all the same engine).

Have you notice that the engine sound loud when you press the pedal?

We compared corolla ultima to mazda sp23 and the engine noise from corolla very noisy or was it because the way she drive it?

I noticed when she drove it steady like 80km, it is ok though, only when start from idle and changing gear the rpm going up high and drop fast when she release the pedal and when she pressed it again it is up fast and roar engine noise coming up, I think because she didn't press the pedal steadily/consistent instead up and down.

I understand mazda sp23 and corolla ultima has different engine but corolla so noisy and the fittings inside not as neat as mazda.

Can you share your corolla engine noise? especially if you compare to mazda 3 before.

Review said mazda bad road noise but I feel corolla more noisier compare to mazda.

Also, if you own corolla ultima, can you adjust the bluetooth settings, it seems that when we tested, the other end cannot hear us clearly.

The good point for corolla is less fuel consumption and more functions but she doesn't care for bigger engine of sp23 but we just concern the engine noise in corolla.

Finally, if you don't mind sharing, how much did you purchase for Corolla conquest or Ultima?

Thanks.

The higher the RPM, the louder the engine sounds.. This is for all engines.

Well, mines is pretty low on noise (auto). And it will grunge up if i get the rpm to over 3000

But compare to mazda3 going at teh same rpm range. It has less noise.

I haven't noticed any engine noise out of the norm thus far, though I haven't really been paying attention to the engine noise a great deal lol

The end product with the Mazda SP23 is more refined.

However, they're kidding themselves if they think they're quicker than a 2zz powered Celicia or Corolla (which is the belief of some SP23 owners).

This, of course, doesn't matter to you. I for one nearly bought an SP23 due to how classy it was. Classic small luxurious car. Very well built.

Sportivo had the 'vroom' though, so I bought it.

Mazda 3 SP23

pros: looks more sporty, probably quicker, more behaved road handling

Cons: Too many cars on the road, horrible road noise, I tad more expensive, New Mazda 3 due in 2009

Levin ZR

pros: interior is bloody awesome (most of my friends say it feels and looks like a space ship..hehehe), better fuel economy, relatively minimal road noise, Optitron Dashboard, better gearbox, HID headlamps, automatic wiper and headlight switch, bluetooth headunit, 7 or 8 airbags standard or something, Service plus advantage, Resale Value, not many people buy the Levin ZRs and Ultimas

Cons: not that sporty

Ultima

pros: All the pros of levin zr plus full leather seats

cons: not that sporty

There ya go....hope that helps in some way :whistling:

It was my belief that the SP23 had little to no road noise? Oops lol.

My friend owns Mazda 3 and it has more road noise relative to the new Rollas by far. This is subjective though:P

Test drive both...... B)

I have a mazda sp23 and I hear no road noise, had more roadnoise in my xr6 turbo. And back to topic, I chose mazda because it was faster then new corolla, had leather seats and premium sound. Also has heaps of space inside as I m giant and looks more sporty!

Russ

Edited by LTS60

Purchase price......hmmmmmm.... B)

LEVIN ZR Manual rrp is $29500 + dealer charges. I would suggest you to go to about 3 to 4 toyota dealers and get a written quote; after that get each dealer to match or perhaps provide a better price......make sure you do not tell them though... :P

Go do your shopping around 12 days before the month ends because these sales people are more motivated to sell since they set goals on a monthly basis usually.

Now is more of a question of picking a sedan or hatch. For me, a hatch probably looks sportier. The ultima has all ZR features PLUS full leather seats. Is it really worth that extra $1000 for the leather........????

Or - if ya really want discounts....then go for the hail damaged ones or something. I bought my Manual ZR for $24,000 drive away :lol: , had 60ks on the odo and was slightly hail damaged. Got the damage fixed for $1500.00 at Australasia Hail repairers castle hill sydney (btw they did an awesome job on my CAR...KUDOS TO THEM!). So technically I am still better off.

One other thing, if you do end up getting the ZR or Ultima, make sure you get excess free windscreen coverage because it costs about $700 to get your w/screen replaced because of the rain sensor.

Hope this helps in someway.

Edited by Emmanuel

One other thing, if you do end up getting the ZR or Ultima, make sure you get excess free windscreen coverage because it costs about $700 to get your w/screen replaced because of the rain sensor.

What do you mean by excess free windscreen coverage? is this part of the warranty or roadside assist or car insurance?

You get cheap price for manual levin zr, will hunting mid next month or 3rd week.

Thanks.

Edit: oh yeah...if your smart entry battery died, how do you open (I guess use the key), how about start the engine?

Do we know if the battery almost flat? or toyota will replace the battery every service?

Also how many smart key do we get? two? and how many manual key?

Edited by insi

You get 2 smart key units and each one has a small key inside it. To start the engine when the smart key couldn't open the door, you place the smart key against the Start Engine push button for 3 seconds until the light changes to green or something. There's a card with the instructions when you buy the car.

What do you mean by excess free windscreen coverage? is this part of the warranty or roadside assist or car insurance?

You get cheap price for manual levin zr, will hunting mid next month or 3rd week.

Thanks.

Edit: oh yeah...if your smart entry battery died, how do you open (I guess use the key), how about start the engine?

Do we know if the battery almost flat? or toyota will replace the battery every service?

Also how many smart key do we get? two? and how many manual key?

Vehicle Insurance Companies offer 'nil excess' windscreen coverage for a fixed payment per year let's say $45 for the whole year on top of your premium. For example, suppose that a rock chipped your w/screen and the next morning you have a massive crack. You cannot just use a normal conventional w/screen as a replacement. You will need a genuine Toyota W/screen specifically for your Model i.e. Levin ZR or Ultima due to your rain sensor which will set you back at about $600 for the w/screen and $150 for installation. If you pick the w/screen excess free coverage (1 w/screen excess free claim per year) on your insurance policy, you won't have to pay a cent because they will waiver off your standard excess! So it is well worth it because the cost of replacing the damn w/screen cost so much :blink:

Normal windscreen replacement costs about $250 max..........without rain sensors....

I think the smart entry batterys last for about two years. It is pretty easy to replace. There is a actually a key (believe or not) that is within the smart entry remote that can be used to open the driver door just in case the battery goes flat.

To start the car with a flat remote battery, as mentioned in the car manual; I think you put the remote right against the start button and press it or something.

You get 2 identical smart keys. No conventional keys unfortunately.

I don't think she can wait till next year but another few months but I need to double check with Toyota how soon ESP will apply to corolla.

Opss..sorry, toyota corolla 2007 has 5 stars rating ANCAP.

Yeah...I already explained to her in terms of handing get mazda 3 and in term of comfort/features get toyota and will let her about mazda 3 replacement next yr.

Thanks people.

Under ANCAP, it is a 4 star because NCAP requires ESC to be standard to achieve 5 stars. As it stands, it is 4 however Euro NCAP is 5 as ESC is fitted there. This is why Mazda 3 is 5 stars however, they will revert to 4 next year as the ratings will change unless ESP is fitted standard across the range.

VSC on Corolla is coming but nowhere near the timing that this forum is floating around.

Edited by SmellyTofu

• 3 weeks later...