Washer lights (LEDs) trouble fitting

I own a 2003 Corolla Seca Ascent and would really like to put some coloured washer lights (LEDs) on the bonnet.

I bought some but gave up trying to fit them due to the geometry under the hood. My original Toyota ones (a) clip into place, and (B) have an elbow joint for the water hose. And the pannelling under the hood makes access really tight and would crimp the hose anyway.

Is it possible to buy coloured washer lights that (a) clip into place and (B) have the elbow joint?

Has anyone modified under the hood for this purpose? What did you do?

Thanks for any help.... an eager Corolla owner.

Luke (lukeprentice@yahoo.com)

Welcome to the forum mate...

No offence dude but why would you want lights on the washer jet anyway...

They look crap in my opinion.

Also you get harassed by the police. There non-essential lights so they attract a fine.

Anyway, hopefully someone else on this forum can help you out.

pEcker

yeah thanks for that great input pecker as he was surely askin gfor your opinion

any way man i have found that i had to swap to different washers due to my new bonnet

i have had the same problem with my black after market one but they also do not have the elbow the only thing i thought of today as i have not been too concern with having the hooked up was if hardie pope the sprikler co had little rubber elbows??

haven't looked into it yet.

illegal or not illegal if you are not goin gto help him don't nearly 90% or aestheitc parts that are imported and installed on cars are not ADR approved

BUT HE IS ASKING HOW TO FIT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is the only question i was able to see

lukeprentice i will drop into bunnings today and check if they have ssome of those elbows

and if you realised why say it?........this is why this forum is not very helpful, people feel pushed away

Bunnings should have those sort of Elbows or something similar that will do the job.

I recently set up a sprinkler system in the garden and couldn't believe the amount of various hoses, joins, bends and elbows that were available in all sorts of different sizes and shapes :blink:

Let us know how you go Influx

illegal or not illegal if you are not goin gto help him don't nearly 90% or aestheitc parts that are imported and installed on cars are not ADR approved

BUT HE IS ASKING HOW TO FIT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is the only question i was able to see

lukeprentice i will drop into bunnings today and check if they have ssome of those elbows

and if you realised why say it?........this is why this forum is not very helpful, people feel pushed away

Not many of us have installed that since it's ILLEGAL....so we couldn't really help on the installation of it....what we can help was to remind him it's ILLEGAL ....

I dun agree this forum is not helpful :blink: , many fellow members are willing and able to help......like the gear shifting problem, tyre and rim....they all have lots of suggestion and ideas.... :D

I think as a fellow member of ours, we should remind him instead of "helping" Lukeprentice to break the law ..........

(Personal Point of View) :lol:

I'm with you cooley....I believe that we are here to help, and in a situation where and aesthetic part is illegal, then by reminding someone of this IS helping.

Influx, I see what you are saying about helping, and as Cooley says, a lot of us don't fit the illegal aethetic stuff so the practicalities of fitting them are not our expertice.

This is my opinion, yours is to pop into Bunnings and see what you can do to help...

It's all about opinions. And if you are wanting me to answer the question that lukeprentice asked, then here goes...

Q: Has anyone modified under the hood for this purpose? What did you do?

A: Nothing, I discovered that this type of enhancement is an illegal mod so I didn't do it.

Cheers

Azz

hey guys,

influx  Posted Yesterday, 08:06 AM

yeah thanks for that great input pecker as he was surely askin gfor your opinion

chill out dude, sorry if i offended you i just hate wiper lights i think they look tacky.

But whatever makes you happy.

Anyhow is that bonnet carbon fibre, it looks great. Where did you source it from?

yeah guys typhoon got it from c-one in japan for me.  - very good quality weighs in at approx 4.5kg

4.5kg :blink: Nucken Futs that's very light !

Because its Carbon Fiber if im not mistaking?

I went to try and purchase one.. found out it was made of carbon and got my bonnet modified to a similar shape instead. Both are illegal as well. :lol:

I have many illegal things on my car, original bonnet is cut into, POD filter doesnt have a permit, Car is too low with the exhaust, no spare wheel due to boot install.

I cant say im too fussed, as long as I dont drive like a ******* then no cop will have a problem with me on the road. However if I wanted to drive around trying to drag people and go around roundabouts fast.. (WHICH IS ALSO ILLEGAL) then I doubt id have risked the mods.

Point is, some people arnt fussed by the minor illegal modifications. They wont do any harm and will only be picked up if you either get a copper on a bad day or drive like a fool. If I get a yellow sticker it will be easy enough to adjust the car to legal again.

Also.. on topic, the washer lights arnt illegal if you set them to time in with your immobiliser, IE. the washers come on after you have parked the car and set the alarm, it is illegal to have them on whilst driving though. Good luck with fitting them.

LED washer lights are judged and deemed by the RTA as being an illegal item if install on a registered vehicle that is driven on public roads.

On that note, I have no clue how to fit them.  Most members of this forum are overseas and will help you when they return.

Welcome to the forum.

thanks for the feedback on legality, lads, but i've got a couple more questions. and this time, please answer them! (by the way, i'm in victoria)

1) where can i find _in writing_ where the RTA's opinion?

2) what about vicroads in victoria.

3) i rang the traffic management unit in melbourne (03 9380 7260) after asking the legality question to victoria police (03 9247 6666) and they said that modifying any existing lights was illegal, but that washer lights of any colour were fine. i explicitly asked (a) any colour and (b) washer lights and he said they were legal. so how can you explain that?

i certainly understand that there's quite a lot of confusion about this out there. ask any autobarn sales dude and you'll get a different opinion. "blue's illegal" "nope, red's illegal" "nope, they're all illegal" blah blah blah.

why doesn't someone ask the law-keepers themselves rather than speculating about it.

i suppose even the average policeman or woman on the street may be confused about this -- perhaps so, seeing as i had to call the special traffic unit to get an answer.

now on this point i'm not 100% certain, but i seem to recall from the conversation i had with the traffic management unit guy that the law (in victoria?) was specifically altered to allow for these other lights. perhaps someone can help me out on this one?

i don't really care if you think they look stupid or not. as one kind reader pointed out, i'm not after an opinion, i'm after technical know-how and an accurate understanding of the law in victoria.

thanks,

luke.

Hi Luke, its pecker here mate, the bloke that gave my opinion on the lights.

Now, My best friend is in the TMU, and i know for a fact that he has booked people for having window washer lights. As i said in my previous post, he says on the tickets he writes down something to the effect of "having non essential lights" .

Now he explains to me that your not allowed any other lights on a car other than the basic lights which are essential to the cars safe opertation.

I'll ask him exatcly which part of law or legislation or whatever this comes from.

And dont forget also, that like car dealers most cops are dumb and a lot of them have no clue.

I hope this post is of more to your liking lukeprentice.

Cheers,

Pecker

Hi Luke, its pecker here mate, the bloke that gave my opinion on the lights.

Now, My best friend is in the TMU, and i know for a fact that he has booked people for having window washer lights.  As i said in my previous post, he says on the tickets he writes down something to the effect of "having non essential lights" .

Now he explains to me that your not allowed any other lights on a car other than the basic lights which are essential to the cars safe opertation.

I'll ask him exatcly which part of law or legislation or whatever this comes from.

And dont forget also, that like car dealers most cops are dumb and a lot of them have no clue.

I hope this post is of more to your liking lukeprentice.

Cheers,

Pecker

But this contradicts the legality on having undercar neon lights which are completely legal (if the globe isnt exposed to anyones eye).

Dont get me wrong, im not trying to argue or anything but its even more confusing hearing that after neon lights got the all clear from everyone. (at least in Perth they did)

I hate how each of the states has different laws regarding modifications. Surely it would be so much easier and practical to have a set base of standards throughout Australia. Im sure some people may be able to get some idea of what the actual law is then.