Oil filter on '07 Toyota Camry Altise

dyoung

I know this seems like a stupid question, but I purchased an '07 Altise recently and although I'm going to have it regularly serviced I'd still like to be able to change the oil myself. The thing is that when looking under the hood I can't locate the oil filter. I'm thinking it's like the Territory where it's tucked away underneath and at the back of the engine but I haven't tried jacking it up and looking under the body yet. I was just wondering if someone could give me a head start and tell me exactly where the filter is located. There's not a single mention of it in the vehicle's manual.

Thanks.

• 8 months later...

A belated thanks, Rollaboy. I actually did exactly what you said after making my post and found it that way, but thank you for responding.

Now, I'm just about to change the oil on my Altise for the first time and I cannot get the bolt off to drain the oil. Should I be turning the bolt towards the right tyre or the left tyre? In my other cars I've always turned it towards the right tyre.

While I'm at it, what size spanner do I need to take off the bolt? I'm using an adjustable one right now but it looks like it's either a 14 or a 15 that is required.

Thanks for any advice.

Hey if you want to make it easier for yourself get a nice length of pipe(not to big obviously coz no where to swing it) then that will get you more leverage and making it easier to undo it, had to do this to mine and makes it a whole lot easier if it's too hard already.

Hey if you want to make it easier for yourself get a nice length of pipe(not to big obviously coz no where to swing it) then that will get you more leverage and making it easier to undo it, had to do this to mine and makes it a whole lot easier if it's too hard already.

Ahh, the good 'ol pipe and spanner. I always need to go that way every time I get my car back for a tire shop. Just make sure you don't do it when tightening. That may not end nicely.

Simple question...

When I loosen the bolt on the oil pan, do I turn it towards the FRONT of the car, or the BACK of the car?

Please don't say clockwise or anti-clockwise because that changes depending on where you are standing.

Thanks.

Simple question...

When I loosen the bolt on the oil pan, do I turn it towards the FRONT of the car, or the BACK of the car?

Please don't say clockwise or anti-clockwise because that changes depending on where you are standing.

Thanks.

Well that would depend what side you had the spanner!

If you have the handle of the spanner pointing to the drivers side (right) of the car, you should be going to the rear of the vehicle, if handle is on the left (Passanger side), you need to go toward the front.

Edited by mbruce

Simple question...

Thanks.

Just get a ratchet and set it to the "loosen" setting. Just about every bolt, nut and screw in a car will be standard right-hand thread, meaning clockwise (looking at the head of the bolt) to tighten and anti-clockwise to loosen. Whenever possible, try not to undo things blind, it can just confuse things.

14mm bolt and turn it anti-clockwise to undo...

Thanks, but are you sure it's anti-clockwise? I'm trying like hell to get this bolt off and it won't budge. I even put some oil on it to try to loosen it.

I'm positive...

Try using a longer spanner or bar...

The longer it is, the easier it is to undo...

Thanks, but are you sure it's anti-clockwise? I'm trying like hell to get this bolt off and it won't budge. I even put some oil on it to try to loosen it.

I'm positive...

Ain't got a pipe and even if I did my non-mechanical mind can't figure out how it would help to loosen the bolt. I have realised one reason why I'm having such a ridiculous amount of trouble with this. On my old '94 Camry the bolt was at the front of the oil pan and at the bottom. On the '07 model it's at the back of it and is on a diagonal towards the back of the car, not at the bottom of it. So when I am lying on my back under the car with my head pretty much under the bolt I have absolutely NO idea which way anti-clockwise is.

Would it be too much to ask these car manufacturers to put a simple arrow on there to tell you which way to turn the frickin' thing to loosen it?

Just tell me this. When I loosen the bolt is it first movement towards the RIGHT tyre or the LEFT tyre?

:help::help::help::help::help:

Edited by dyoung

I'm positive...

Ain't got a pipe and even if I did my non-mechanical mind can't figure out how it would help to loosen the bolt. I have realised one reason why I'm having such a ridiculous amount of trouble with this. On my old '94 Camry the bolt was at the front of the oil pan and at the bottom. On the '07 model it's at the back of it and is on a diagonal towards the back of the car, not at the bottom of it. So when I am lying on my back under the car with my head pretty much under the bolt I have absolutely NO idea which way anti-clockwise is.

Would it be too much to ask these car manufacturers to put a simple arrow on there to tell you which way to turn the frickin' thing to loosen it?

Just tell me this. When I loosen the bolt is it first movement towards the RIGHT tyre or the LEFT tyre?

:help::help::help::help::help:

Just do as I said. Get a ratchet+socket and set it to "loosen" (try it on a more visible, less critical bolt if you have to, anticlockwise will ALWAYS be loosen), then you can do it blind.

If the bolt is on the back of the oil sump, pointing slightly down, then the top will turn towards the passenger-side tyre to loosen. If you're having trouble visualising it, get a bolt and nut and hold it in front of your face in the same alignment as the oil-pan bolt. Then hold the nut and turn the bolt - whichever way loosens the bolt will be the way you have to turn it on the sump.