Toyota MCV20R Sludge

Bones56k

Hey All

Bought a 2001 V6 recently and at 80,000kms was astonished to see the start of sludge buildup in the front rocker cover.

Removed the Oil cap from the rocker cover and wiped my finger in the hole to feel (a crunchy sand feel)

I thought well even though Toyota states on the windscreen the next service is 90,000kms i in know way are going to pour oil through that.

Maybe Toyota has the theory do not disturb what has been created as a Toyota engine can do very very long kms as proven!

This is my car now! and it will at least get to 300,000kms as The Toyota series has proved with only minor servicing!

Removing the front rocker cover was a breeze except for the square conduit holding the wiring for the front coils.

I had to break the mounts for the square conduit as can be seen in the pics (nothing major just something extra!)

As for the sludge buildup it was only in the oil filler hole (good old Toyota trusty engines)

Took me an hour to remove the rocker cover and scrub the start of sludge out of the oil filler hole with a little petrol and a toothbrush (Did i tell you how much fuel costs these days!)

A little RTV gasket goo applied to the rocker cover rubber gasket and peace of mind ..... as next time i pour some fresh oil in i know its my car!

post-9075-1215577958_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1215578527_thumb.jpg

post-9075-1215579803_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bones56k

Took me an hour to remove the rocker cover and scrub the start of sludge out of the oil filler hole with a little petrol and a toothbrush (Did i tell you how much fuel costs these days!)

yeah i stopped using petrol for tht reason :P....have u tried WD40!!! its the best thing ever made...it sprays on...and is like magic...dont even need to scrub as hard! nice pics btw

Would that be sludge or carbon build up? I thought sludge was gooey moreso than scratchy.

Well put it this way i wiped my finger down the oil filler hole and a toothpaste 2 to 3 mm thick was left on my finger and when i rubbed my two fingers together it was full of grit.

Luckily as stated it was only just under the oil cap of the rocker cover and as can be seen in the pics under the rocker cover itself was in pretty good shape.

wishbone

Will have to try the wd40 next time once the toothpaste buildup is removed...sounds like a good idea.

Edited by Bones56k

Thats one of the cleanest 1MZ-FE's that I've seen...

We've had a few cars that havn't been serviced in 40 - 60,000kms and they come in blowing so much smoke it's not even funny... Really don't know how some owners can be so stupid...

The two wiring harness clips you broke aren't meant to be attached forever, you just need the correct torx socket to remove the studs that hold them in :) :) :) ...