Toyota Avalon question

Avalon_2008

I'm not really 100% sure what the Climate unit looks like but from memory of the wrecks Iv'e looked at I've a bit of an idea.

Are these the lights behind the display or lights that are behind buttons.

If it's the lights behind the display it'll probably be expensive, however if it's lights behind buttons it's probably a simple fix.

I changed all the lights in my gen4 Camry A/C unit (including the buttons) to red without any real problems (the bulbs cost me about $1.36 each from Toyota) and are bulbs that arn't easily found as they have a weird base.

It was as simple as carefully prying open the unit and twisting out the bulbs and popping in the new ones.

If you could post some pictures of the unit or explain in more detail I might have a cleare idea of what's going on as my Camry only has standard A/C not Climate.

I'm not really 100% sure what the Climate unit looks like but from memory of the wrecks Iv'e looked at I've a bit of an idea.

Are these the lights behind the display or lights that are behind buttons.

If it's the lights behind the display it'll probably be expensive, however if it's lights behind buttons it's probably a simple fix.

I changed all the lights in my gen4 Camry A/C unit (including the buttons) to red without any real problems (the bulbs cost me about $1.36 each from Toyota) and are bulbs that arn't easily found as they have a weird base.

It was as simple as carefully prying open the unit and twisting out the bulbs and popping in the new ones.

If you could post some pictures of the unit or explain in more detail I might have a cleare idea of what's going on as my Camry only has standard A/C not Climate.

Thanks RelishGTP for the reply, I took couple of shots with my mobile, so please excuse the image quality.

post-9555-1217409890_thumb.jpg

As you can see there is the two Auto and Off on the right hand side,

post-9555-1217409842_thumb.jpg

They are not coming on, as well, the buttons next to them are also about to go, so maybe I would consider doing them at the same time.

Thanks.

Ok by the looks of the pics you're in luck.

Once again I don't have Climate so I can only speculate, but by the looks of the pics the lights behind those buttons are going to be the same or similar to the ones fitted to a standard A/C unit.

I pulled apart my whole A/C unit to frig around with the bulb color and such and for your sake I hope the Climate unit is a very similar build (which it should be knowing Toyota).

So what you need to do is firstly take of the Facia panel (the trim around your stereo,ashtray,A/C etc).

Then you should see about 4 screws which hold the Climate unit in place, undo them and pull it out as far as the wiring will allow.

If it's similar to mine you should then be able to find a lot of annoying small lift clips on the top,sides and bottom of the unit which will need to be carefully pryed up with a tiny flathead screwdriver.

The face of the unit should then be able to be removed from the body.

At this point you should be able to see the wiring connectors that plug into the back of the buttons, remove them (a bit fiddly).

Now I'm not really sure on the rest of this cause Iv'e never opened a climate unit, but you'll either need to undo the wiring connectors from the button units and pull them out, or if the bulbs are already accessible as is on a Climate unit you should see a grey circle thingy with a cross indent (the base of the light bulb)sunk into the button units.

Twist these grey bases with a tiny flathead screwdriver and you'll see the bulbs attached.

Once again this info was just how I pulled apart a standard A/C unit so I'm not really sure if it will be the same for you but hopefully it is of some help :)

Yeah they take 2 T5's (Don't use LED's they only light 1/4 of the dials).

But the A/C and demist buttons use a really weird base bulb that you prolly wont be able to find at an auto store (I don't even know what they're called).

They are smaller than T5's and have 2 long pins that are threaded through a little grey plastic base that twist lock into the button housing (cheap from Toyota).

That would be these? I think they are called a Neo Wedge bulb in the states

This is the only link i have for them so far... http://autolumination.com/74.htm

EDIT: Just found this seller on ebay with them

http://stores.ebay.com.au/warden-jp2002_W0...3QQftidZ2QQtZkm

post-8749-1217481898_thumb.jpg

Edited by trentmeyer23