PERFORMANCE ON VVT-I COROLLA 2004

Hi, everyone i own a 2004 corolla hatch vvt-i. Im a mechanic by trade and i want alot more horse power from this little car.Its got 2 1/4 inch catback hurrican sports exaust and k& N air filter.Has any1 played with these engines? im thinking turbocharging and boreing out and bigger pistons and cams.or should i engine swap in to the vvtl-i.need help thanx

turbo it on the stock internals, keep boost to 12psi, that will give you best bang for buck.

If you bore it you will need to sleeve it too.

i see, what turbo do u suggest? im looking to spend 6,000

bang for buck it's hard to go past a secondhand WRX TD04L, the wrx guys upgrade fairly often and the TD04L spools very quickly and has good top end with a short runner manifold on a 1.6-1.8L 4cyl.

Steam-pipe manifold should set you back $300-500 depending on the design and a 2.5" dump can be made to bolt up to the stock exhaust if you want, the you could replace the cat-back section with 2.5" mandrel belt piping too.

XR6 turbo factory garret cooler is a good fit in the front of a ZZE corolla and there's a ton of ECU's that will run the show. SARD injectors are the easiest to source too.

bang for buck it's hard to go past a secondhand WRX TD04L, the wrx guys upgrade fairly often and the TD04L spools very quickly and has good top end with a short runner manifold on a 1.6-1.8L 4cyl.

Steam-pipe manifold should set you back $300-500 depending on the design and a 2.5" dump can be made to bolt up to the stock exhaust if you want, the you could replace the cat-back section with 2.5" mandrel belt piping too.

XR6 turbo factory garret cooler is a good fit in the front of a ZZE corolla and there's a ton of ECU's that will run the show. SARD injectors are the easiest to source too.

love ur work buddy!!!....do u know how much horses i should be getting? and where could i go to get these parts in sydney?

turbo it on the stock internals, keep boost to 12psi, that will give you best bang for buck.

If you bore it you will need to sleeve it too.

rollamods is on the right track, and the wrx turbo is bang for buck.

how ever i think, 12psi on stock internals is abit much. you wouldn't want to run that all day every day, because the standered 1zz has a compression ratio of 10:1. not sure on how strong the stock rods and pistons are but 12-14psi is alot of pressure, and with out good tuning you might encounter some problems.

but having said that, i'm not surprised to see a 1zz running on 14psi and making 170+kw,

if you wanted to keep stock internals i'd say keep the boost under 10psi (to be safe) and get a metal head gasket to drop the compression ratio down abit. + all the things rollamods added..

have you thought about a supercharger kit??

how ever i think, 12psi on stock internals is abit much. you wouldn't want to run that all day every day, because the standered 1zz has a compression ratio of 10:1. not sure on how strong the stock rods and pistons are but 12-14psi is alot of pressure, and with out good tuning you might encounter some problems.

but having said that, i'm not surprised to see a 1zz running on 14psi and making 170+kw,

if you wanted to keep stock internals i'd say keep the boost under 10psi (to be safe) and get a metal head gasket to drop the compression ratio down abit. + all the things rollamods added..

have you thought about a supercharger kit??

The only supercharger that will bolt on is the TRD one from the States and those are out of production. Otherwise you could try a custom Rotrex setup, but then your entering similar money to a turbo setup, but the rotrex is mounted away from the steering rack.

The main issue with the 1zz isn't so much the compression ratio, but the stock rods being on the small side of things.

exhibit A below shows some extreme thinage in the rod arena for the 1zz :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

stock 2zz ..... crower 2zz ..... stock 1zz

rods_compared2.jpg

an entire 1ZZ long motor is ~$700 from most wreckers, can be cheaper if you shop around. It costs a LOT more than this to change rods in the engine alone...

exhibit A below shows some extreme thinage in the rod arena for the 1zz :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

stock 2zz ..... crower 2zz ..... stock 1zz

rods_compared2.jpg

Damn, they look even smaller than a 7AFE rod, and thats saying something

an entire 1ZZ long motor is ~$700 from most wreckers, can be cheaper if you shop around. It costs a LOT more than this to change rods in the engine alone...

thanx guys, il keep you guys posted how i go.

il change the rods and pistons, and do some head work done. il purchace the tdo4l, front mount.....most of this work i can do myslef.the tuning and the turbo tuning setup il take to performance.thanx for all ur work il keep u posted on how everthing goes cheers!!

thanx guys, il keep you guys posted how i go.

il change the rods and pistons, and do some head work done. il purchace the tdo4l, front mount.....most of this work i can do myslef.the tuning and the turbo tuning setup il take to performance.thanx for all ur work il keep u posted on how everthing goes cheers!!

well bring it out wen ur done so we can spin ppl out with 2 boosted corolla's ;) ;) ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: