Reversing Camera Setup

Aborchy

Has anyone put a reversing camera into thier grande? I have read lots of stuff about it from the states but little here in OZ. If someone has I would be interested in knowing which camera and what connectings need to be made. I would also like to know the tricks to getting to the back of the head unit. Any instructions would be great.

cheers

hey,

my mate hasa genuwine toyota camera for sale, the only bad thing is its a lot of work. youd need to have a screen for obviously reasons, connect the wires from headunit to device, hide the cables under the car floor, and drill a hole in your boot (where the light bulb is located for the number plate). thats all i know :P

hey,

my mate hasa genuwine toyota camera for sale, the only bad thing is its a lot of work. youd need to have a screen for obviously reasons, connect the wires from headunit to device, hide the cables under the car floor, and drill a hole in your boot (where the light bulb is located for the number plate). thats all i know :P

Cheers mate. I will give it a go anyway......the Grande has the cool nav sys screen which has the video input so should just be a matter of finding a good camera and plugging it in....I hope :) :rolleyes:

hey,

Cheers mate. I will give it a go anyway......the Grande has the cool nav sys screen which has the video input so should just be a matter of finding a good camera and plugging it in....I hope :) :rolleyes:

I tried on my grande but without much luck due to my camera isn't NTSC i guess. Taking off the headunit and dismental the floor skirting aren't difficult. However, depending on which camera type you buy, if you going to buy those with RCA connector, you need to strip the cable and solder it before you put into socket F12 pin 21, 22 & 23. Then after that you should see the image displayed clearly on your screen. Let me know if you have difficulties. Good Luck!

Hey mate,

Yeah just received my camera and connected it all up using an NTSC camera but no picture just lines. I have another camera arriving tomorrow because I thought something like this would happen. This one is PAL/NTSC switch over. Did you get yours to work in the end?? I have connected to pin 22 & 23 for the video as will use the reverse lights for the 12V power. At the moment I am using a spare 12V power supply for testing first. Are you using 21 instead of connecting to ground or does it have some other purpose??

I am running out of ideas so the weekend will be pulling things apart again to check my connections. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Hey mate,

Yeah just received my camera and connected it all up using an NTSC camera but no picture just lines. I have another camera arriving tomorrow because I thought something like this would happen. This one is PAL/NTSC switch over. Did you get yours to work in the end?? I have connected to pin 22 & 23 for the video as will use the reverse lights for the 12V power. At the moment I am using a spare 12V power supply for testing first. Are you using 21 instead of connecting to ground or does it have some other purpose??

I am running out of ideas so the weekend will be pulling things apart again to check my connections. Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

No, at the end i just gave up. I think it is the incompatibility issue between the screen and the camera. When i strip my shielding of the RCA cable, i separated it into 2 wires, 1 go straight to pin 21, & the other to pin 23. When i do that i notice the screen can display everything perfectly when i connect the screen to a DVD player with NTSC output. However, when i change it to the camera that i bought, i get the same blur, constant shaking, black & white display. Hence i suspect is the camera that is not working with the screen.

So in your case, if you are striping a RCA cable like i do, i suggest you to connect 1 of the shield to Pin 21 and see if that will help. Also, i heard from one of the website says that the screen needs to be reset it before recognising the camera, but until now, i still can't find the reset function and hence gave up at the end.

Please let me know how you go and wish you all the best in this!

ive got a genuwine reverse camera for sale if any of yous are intrested. was going to install it when i had my screen but due to financial problems i decided to sell the screen but still have the camera. it costed me $500 for the unit, will let it go for $350!

• 1 month later...

I wanted to install a reversing / reverse camera into my Camry Grande 2007, so I sent an email to Brant.com.au. They quoted me $1,200 incl installation at home. I thought that's quite expensive and told myself why not ringing my dealer Brighton Toyota itself. Their price turned out to be only $695 and the warranty is a surprising 6 (yes, six) years B) (the price is the same for both wired and wireless model and it hooks directly to the built-in GPS / satnav unit).

I think I'll go for the wired model as a mechanic friend told me the wireless is known for frequent interference. :rolleyes:

check out this Aussie, Melbourne Based seller...

he's very good!

BRASH IMPORTS

I rang this guy and he appeared to be more of a spare-part dealer. That means he would not give me a confirmation like "OK I'll have a system that fit your camry 2007 and hooks to the built-in GPS". He can only tell me to find out if my GPS is RGB or RCA then if RCA then what he has may work.

But from the previous post by campower it looks like there's some tricks involved. If you spend time to remove the GPS to find out what type of connection is there then buy a system from him, chances are it may not work.

I think it's not worthwhile. I'll go with what I found. At least it's from a Toyota dealer, they should know very well what to do to make it work, not counting the warranty (the girl called back and tell me that it's 12 (YES T W E L V E years warranty) oh my ***, have you ever bought any electronics in this world with 12 years warranty before? :o

• 9 months later...