Toyota Aurion Reversing Camera Installation

Aurion ZR6

Last week I purchase a camera and cable to install in my Toyota Aurion ZR6 with navigation unit.

(This will not work without this unit for those who might want to do this mod.)

Anyway here some photo's of the installation.

Very cheap mod, taken me 2 hours to install, if you have basic mechanic and soldering skill you can do this.

Camera View at Navigation Unit

Closeup of Camera 1

Closeup of Camera 2

Closeup of Camera 3

Closeup of Camera 4

Closeup of Camera Rear

Edited: Can get this type of camera from here as well for $89.00: http://www.strike.com.au/products/Reversing-Cameras-and-Monitors/Strike-Butterfly-Reversing-Camera-CMOS-Version

Edited by Aurion ZR6

Nice work.. Looks good..

What type of input does the camera have to the screen? just thinking would it be possible to plug other things in there as well as a camera :)

The kit comes from here:Reversing Camera look under Product then Interfacing kit.

Apparently you can order it for $395.00 .

The Camera input I do not know what is can take, but ( weather proof (130 degree view) miniature camera), I think you would be able to put other input devices in it too, but the warning message would still appear at the bottom as is from the build-in software from the unit.

I can ask the rep for spec on the camera if you need then? I do remember one thing it is a PAL/NTSC camera switchable, and NOT a RGB camera.

Edited by Aurion ZR6

Sorry for not following up on this as I had to draw up the drawing and here it is.

How to conect the camera to the Navigation Unit.

post-3160-1202001392_thumb.jpg

Download this camera from Polaris Rear Vision System look under Accessories

post-3160-1202001637_thumb.jpg

And this cable below

post-3160-1202001673_thumb.jpg

Any questions post here.

Edited by Aurion ZR6

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
afaik all toyota screens take a NTSC input.

Hi,

Can you send me your instructions on what you did. i have a new 2008 Camry Grande soi think this should work as well as the Aurion uses the same head unit I think. Shoot me an email if you like.

Cheers

Last week I purchase a camera and cable to install in my Toyota Aurion ZR6 with navigation unit.

(This will not work without this unit for those who might want to do this mod.)

Anyway here some photo's of the installation.

Very cheap mod, taken me 2 hours to install, if you have basic mechanic and soldering skill you can do this.

Camera View at Navigation Unit

Closeup of Camera 1

Closeup of Camera 2

Closeup of Camera 3

Closeup of Camera 4

Closeup of Camera Rear

Ok found the pinouts instructions in previous posts.

Do you have any instructions/suggestions on how to get to the back of the head unit? Cheers

Ok found the pinouts instructions in previous posts.

Do you have any instructions/suggestions on how to get to the back of the head unit? Cheers

Do you mean removing the head unit? If so, I have a rough guide over at:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=16676

Excuse the lack of link naming or linking to the exact post. Our work computer restricts forum access so I'm posting this on my phone.

Quick question prior to buying a camera since I'm Noob...

Does Aurion with Factory GPS has a Video Input?

A Mechanic asked me about this and I was clueless :unsure:

Quick question prior to buying a camera since I'm Noob...

Does Aurion with Factory GPS has a Video Input?

A Mechanic asked me about this and I was clueless :unsure:

That was the entire point of this thread. Aurion ZR6 gave the instructions at the beginnning on how to install a reverse camera on the stock navigation unit.

• 11 months later...

Hey people..Need more help here.. Bare with me, first DIY in my life..

I don't get the step here..

28012008072.jpg

with this

post-3160-1202001392_thumb.jpg

Aurion ZR6 has 4 types of cable that he supplied, where I only have 1.

The question is, do i just sliced all the 4 cables behind the navigation unit and soldered the one i supplied to all of them at once?

Thanks

Edited by VF-X

The question is, do i just sliced all the 4 cables behind the navigation unit and soldered the one i supplied to all of them at once?

DO NOT do what I have put in bold. That will not end happily.

What do you mean you only have one cable. Are you referring to the cable coming out of the camera? If so, you would have to have at least two cables. Maybe you should take a photo to dry and explain it further.

DO NOT do what I have put in bold. That will not end happily.

What do you mean you only have one cable. Are you referring to the cable coming out of the camera? If so, you would have to have at least two cables. Maybe you should take a photo to dry and explain it further.

Sorry for the confusion.. I got 3 cables that come from my Camera..

1. Cable to go behind the navigation unit

2. Cable to go to reverse light.

3. A ground cable

Anw, I did the last two after extensive search around the forum.. What I'm asking is the cable that is to go behind the Navigation unit. The end of the cable is just below and there's no input for that kind of end. [Mine's factory unit]

How do i continue from here..?

Thanks DJ..

post-7404-1249181069_thumb.jpg

Well you have a different camera wiring loom to my installation, if you had read, you need to purchase the camara and camera wiring loom from this web site and it will match any Aurion with navigation unit installed.

Sorry cannot help you at all with the one you have.

Sorry for the confusion.. I got 3 cables that come from my Camera..

1. Cable to go behind the navigation unit

2. Cable to go to reverse light.

3. A ground cable

Anw, I did the last two after extensive search around the forum.. What I'm asking is the cable that is to go behind the Navigation unit. The end of the cable is just below and there's no input for that kind of end. [Mine's factory unit]

How do i continue from here..?

That's okay, I'll pick up fro where Aurion ZR6 can't.

With the wire that goes to your reverse light, that is the +12v line, and the ground is obviously just that. Connect them as such.

With the other one you have there (the RCA), the conductor (the centre pin) connects to the red wire on the head unit end, and the shield (outer ring) connects to the grey wire. You can either cut the connector off and do it that way, or buy a female RCA and connect from that. Something like this will do the trick (Jaycar link).

With the other one you have there (the RCA), the conductor (the centre pin) connects to the red wire on the head unit end, and the shield (outer ring) connects to the grey wire. You can either cut the connector off and do it that way, or buy a female RCA and connect from that. Something like this will do the trick (Jaycar link).

So... I tried it with just like you said.. I chose to cut the connectoc off. After cuttin the head off, i tied the middle parts to the red wire and the outer parts to the grey wire.

When I tried the camera to see if it works or not, my navigation swap to another screen, with 'check surroundings for safety' at the bottom. However, there screen doesn't show any surroundings, only grey blur like tv with no signals..

Any idea where I went wrong?

So you did use the red and grey wires that are between the black and white wires right?

If so, you can try reversing the conductor and shield around.

Before going there though, quick question. When you cut off the RCA connector, are there two conductors and a shield inside the wire (similar to the one shown below on a smaller scale)? Or is it just one conductor and the shield. Some cables that are out there consist of a twin core with shield. If this is the case, you disregard the shield and you use the inner two wires only. If you connect it and it doesn't work, reverse the wires.

productLarge_3551.jpg

Yea, I used the grey and red cables between the black and white.

The structure after cutting the male rca off is,

Conductor - outer

Insulator

Conductor - center / inner

So, i figured the 1st conductor connects to the outer ring of the rca, so i tie this to the grey wire while the other one leads to the centre pin, and i tie this to the red ones..

I ll take a pic and try to re-do and swap the whole thing..

I tried swappin em...No swap on the monitor with the warnings I mentioned.. So I guess that's the right combination.

Still figurin out why the camera's not working.. :(