help installing pod filter...

black turkey

I bought pod filter for my 5sfe celica, but before i start the install i was looking at the old airbox. there is a sensor of some sort sticking out of the air filter cover. i think it may be the AFM? anyway, all i got with the pod filter is the filter itself. if i put this on there would be no where to put the sensor. could anyone help me out here by telling me what i can do to get around this or do i even need it in?

I bought pod filter for my 5sfe celica, but before i start the install i was looking at the old airbox. there is a sensor of some sort sticking out of the air filter cover. i think it may be the AFM? anyway, all i got with the pod filter is the filter itself. if i put this on there would be no where to put the sensor. could anyone help me out here by telling me what i can do to get around this or do i even need it in?

I am pretty sure 5SFE's dont have an AFM, but you could put that sensor in the piping between your pod and plenum

If it's a MAP car then the sensor in the airbox will most likely be the intake air temperature sensor. Not essential to have it plugged into the intake, but if you don't it'll read hot engine bay air as opposed to cool intake air (because you're going to do it properly and run a CAI setup with the pod isolated from the engine bay, aren't you). Just drill a hole the right size in the new intake piping and plug the sensor + bung in there.

so its not an option to leave it out. ill just put a whole in the piping to put the sensor in. anything i need to know before pulling the plug out?

you dont need to unplug it.

Just pull it out of the airbox, its held in with a little rubber gromet

take the gromet out of the airbox, drill a hole in the cai piping the same as the one in the airbox

insert the rubber gromet in to the pipe, and then put the sensor back in.

If it's not connected it's not the end of the world, but for the long-term performance of the engine and the consumption of petrol, it should be connected properly.

My 4AGE AE82 doesn't actually HAVE an air temp sensor (got a red/blacktop engine but bluetop airbox, so both factory locations are gone), and it still runs fine.

i put it in today. what i did was get a PVC pipe that is 50mm on each side with a 25mm Tee. put the pod on one side with the air sensor in the 25mm Tee (it didnt fit so i wrapped 100MPH tape around it a few times and it fits good) then got a 3" to 3" rubber gripper (dont know the name, it was in the plumbing section, it is similar to teh adapters for a CAI) and put that on the other side of the piping and over the top of the stock intake piping.

then since i had those 2 adapter things teh pod filter was too long, so i took off the bottom of the old air box and i also removed the piping which tunnelled air from outside to the stock filter. it fit ok but was too heavy so the piping sagged and rested on the exposed metal. so i got an old sign and cut a long (about 6") piece off (2" thick) and bent one end a screwed it to the body parrallel to the battery stand thing. and then curved the other end to fit under the metal strap off the pod filter.

all fits well, nothing touching.

made it sound a lot better actually. throatier deeper sound.

next i plan to get some CAI piping and have some outside air guided through to the filter.

post-6498-1220168170_thumb.jpg

post-6498-1220168184_thumb.jpg

post-6498-1220168194_thumb.jpg

Edited by black turkey

• 4 weeks later...

I finally added a pod filter to my beast. It is a K&N for a GT4 but it fits on mine OK

I have it set up on a short right angle piece of pipe (mostly cause that is what i had lying around at the time)

Makes the awesome intake noise gives it a deeper engine note.

• 4 weeks later...

I’m looking at doing this too - but i want the hose to be a little shorter so it is'nt against the engine bay. Are you worried about the cops catching you with it? i assume you know its illegal to have this on your car unless its in the box (and thats not possible)

cops up here in darwin wont check the engine bay, and if they do, i doubt they will be too worried. i did a stand still burnout at a set of light s the other night and a cop pulled me over and only told me to pull my head in and treat my car with respect, this was a 3am and the cop seemed drunk LOL