need help on changing gearbox oil

sinan

hey people

just bought some motul gearbox oil (75W-90) and need some help changing it. now i know there is a filler plug at the front of the box but not sure exactly were the drain plug is. and also if you guys recommend any other oil can change the oil. just using motul in the engine and think its top quality stuff so stuck to motul. anyways and when exactly do i know the box is full. have bought 3L so im positive it will be enough. does the car need to be flat when im doing this and can i fill in a lil extra to be safe. just very paranoid about damaging my gearbox. lol sort of looking in ur direction superdave for answers. hehe

anyways people thanx for all ur help and yes i have searched around the forum but couldnt exactly find a diy.

cheers

simon

Edited by sinan

You'll need 2.3L of oil in a c64 gearbox (2zz). It is hard to put more than that in as it will pour out the filler hole, so no need to worry about over filling. Also, it doesn't matter too much if you have the front end jacked up for ease of access, providing you have chassis stands underneath. It is also a help if you use an oil gun, makes it quick and easy.

The first picture is of the drain plug, and the second of the filler hole.

post-386-1220743467_thumb.jpg

post-386-1220743492_thumb.jpg

i'm using motul in my car at the moment,,, i couldn't get any redline at the time and i was told castrol was not so good in the cold..

the 2zz looks diffrent to the 1zz, we use a 24mm bolt for both fill up and drain holes.. but in the same location.. i used only 2lts of oil for my gear box... beware, make sure you have your oil catch tray in the right spot, other wise it's going to get messy..

the 2zz looks diffrent to the 1zz, we use a 24mm bolt for both fill up and drain holes.. but in the same location.. i used only 2lts of oil for my gear box... beware, make sure you have your oil catch tray in the right spot, other wise it's going to get messy..

The 1zz gearbox is slightly smaller and only needs 1.9-2L