[I'm New] AE92 vs AE93 Seca

Hello I am new to the forums and also just turned 18 and looking to buy my first car.

I am a fan of the old style Corolla Secas such as the AE82 - AE93 as well as the popular AE86 Sprinter. But for my first car I am looking to buy something along the lines of the AE92 or AE93 Seca Liftback. I have been doing a little bit of research and want to get one with either a 4AFE or 4AGE 16 Valve engine. I want to know what the differences are between the AE92 CS, CSX, SX and the AE93 SX are?

I have noticed the dash is different on the AE93 and the body looks a bit bigger but other than that they seem to be the same. So for a first car what would be ideal?

AE92 CS and CSX are both carby engines, better off staying away from these...

AE92 SX and AE93 SX are the same things really... Series one and Series two... The series one were released in the Seca and Hatchback... Series two Seca's were released but the SX Hatch changed it's name to the GTi...

Differences between the models included facelift, lighter colour interior trim, bigger brakes, colour coded spoiler and a bit more on the series two... They all come with power steering and most will have air conditioning too... The GTi was based on a rally spec so it lost the power windows, power mirrors and alloys...

Here are some pics for you...

Series One Hatch:

1umhatfd.jpg

Series One Seca:

dsc00371aw4.jpg

(minus the bonnet scoop ofcourse)

Series Two Seca:

0x9secfp.jpg

Series Two GTi Hatch:

0yegtifd.jpg

In my opinion... If you are going to modify the car when you buy it... you might as well get a SX or GTi. That way you are saving yourself from modifying like crazy as you may be satisfied with what they come with.

Edited by 11TWO

Ok thanks i'll keep that in mind. I won't be doing any major modifications straight away but maybe later on next year I might.

I've also come across a few AE94's what are they like compared to the AE92 and AE93?

They seem to be hard to get workshop manuals for as well as none of the suppliers we deal with at work has any for that model.

Edited by InitialD_Fan

I prefer the Seca now that I've got one...

I can have a stereo in it and still have a boot as big as a hatch left over for all the junk in my trunk lol...

Also have no trouble folding down the back seats and fitting half a house in there compared to the hatches...

How is a Seca a girls car?

The AE86 Sprinter is a Seca and it's a very popular male car.

AHHH BLASPHEMY!!!!

AE86 Sprinter... is NOT... repeat NOT a Seca!!!!

Sprinter = RWD

Seca/SX = FWD

totally different beasts you are trying to compare here.

ok.. well Seca's are heavier... not by much.. but when you dont have a tonne of torque... every bit counts. its about 100kgs from memory.

Andy.

How is a Seca a girls car?

The AE86 Sprinter is a Seca and it's a very popular male car.

AHHH BLASPHEMY!!!!

AE86 Sprinter... is NOT... repeat NOT a Seca!!!!

Sprinter = RWD

Seca/SX = FWD

totally different beasts you are trying to compare here.

ok.. well Seca's are heavier... not by much.. but when you dont have a tonne of torque... every bit counts. its about 100kgs from memory.

Andy.

Ok well my mistake for thinking the sprinter was a Seca but I thought Seca just means it's a Liftback according to the wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Corolla_E90

So what I was trying to say was basically the body is similar to a Sprinter because the sprinter is a liftback aswell but I don't really care either way as I have seen alot of girls drive hatchbacks too, so you might aswell call a hatch a girls car aswell.

according to rolla boy then yes.

i was under the impression that ALL sx's are ae93's

the csi, csi ltd, csx ect were ae92's

and the rv seca's were ae94's.

i have had a csi ltd seca (4afe) and a sx hatch (4age) (later with a 20v)

i defiantly recommend buying the sx straight out.

the price is roughly the same these days.

u will be kicking yourself if u buy a csi man trust me.

i am sure u know that the ae86's are RWD, more expensive, older and dont have as many features as an ae92 sx.

when i had the csi all i wanted was an sx,

i then got an sx and all i wanted was a 20v engine

i got a 20v blacktop then all i wanted was lift :P.

Edited by Madrox

according to rolla boy then yes.

i was under the impression that ALL sx's are ae93's

the csi, csi ltd, csx ect were ae92's

and the rv seca's were ae94's.

i have had a csi ltd seca (4afe) and a sx hatch (4age) (later with a 20v)

i defiantly recommend buying the sx straight out.

the price is roughly the same these days.

u will be kicking yourself if u buy a csi man trust me.

i am sure u know that the ae86's are RWD, more expensive, older and dont have as many features as an ae92 sx.

when i had the csi all i wanted was an sx,

i then got an sx and all i wanted was a 20v engine

i got a 20v blacktop then all i wanted was lift :P.

yep know what that feelins like :P

there were series 1 AE92 and 93 SX's.... it was all dependant of the build date. Mine was an AE93

From what i've heard the 20V engine is supercharged so that would mean I can't get a 20V until I get my open license which is a few years :( .

Ok well I found a AE93 SX that was built in 1990 so would that be a series 2?

Edited by InitialD_Fan

From what i've heard the 20V engine is supercharged so that would mean I can't get a 20V until I get my open license which is a few years :( .

ok let me set you straight here a 20v is NOT supercharged so it is p plater friendly

20valves come in two variets silver top and black top the silver top gives you around 120kws the black top gives you around 130-140 kws the black top is lighter but the trade off is its also a bit weaker both come with quad throttle bodys the black comes with vvti.

the supercharged motor is the 4agze the block for this is good for a performance 4a motor as it commonly has oil squirters in the block for extra upper cylinder lubrication/cooling.

if the sx your lookin at is a 90 model i wouldnt say itd be a series 2

im pretty sure the sx seca was the only one that came out with a second series that was produced roughly 92-93 and they were the only model to come out with power windows the trim options were also alot better as well.

im fairly sure thats correct feel free to jump in and correct me anyone

ok let me set you straight here a 20v is NOT supercharged so it is p plater friendly

20valves come in two variets silver top and black top the silver top gives you around 120kws the black top gives you around 130-140 kws the black top is lighter but the trade off is its also a bit weaker both come with quad throttle bodys the black comes with vvti.

the supercharged motor is the 4agze the block for this is good for a performance 4a motor as it commonly has oil squirters in the block for extra upper cylinder lubrication/cooling.

im pretty sure the sx seca was the only one that came out with a second series that was produced roughly 92-93 and they were the only model to come out with power windows the trim options were also alot better as well.

Silver top had 121Kw's and Black top was 127 from memory Both have VVT... but not VVTi

NO ADM corollas had the Silvertop/Blacktop engine.

The series 2 SX hatch was renamed the GTi but had lex equpment... no Electric Windows/ or Mirros and didnt come with alloys, just steel rims with Grey Hubcaps (rare as rocking horse *****)

Series 2 had bigger front brakes, different front bar. Series 2 hatches had a reflective Garnish on the rear.

Series 1 SX Seca and Hatch was definable but the Added "lip" on the front bar.

Edited by Blind Kid Seeks

Silver top had 121Kw's and Black top was 127 from memory Both have VVT... but not VVTi

NO ADM corollas had the Silvertop/Blacktop engine.

The series 2 SX hatch was renamed the GTi but had lex equpment... no Electric Windows/ or Mirros and didnt come with alloys, just steel rims with Grey Hubcaps (rare as rocking horse *****)

Series 2 had bigger front brakes, different front bar. Series 2 hatches had a reflective Garnish on the rear.

Series 1 SX Seca and Hatch was definable but the Added "lip" on the front bar.

the blacktop has vvti, silvertop has vvt and not all sx hatches came with power windows either.

i had a ae93 that was a 1989 model. one of the first produced.

mine had no power windows but also had the garnish.

initial d dude. i suggest joining up to sydneyrollaclub.com and searching on their.

the forums have alot of members who drive ae9x and can provide a mountain of information.

and by the sounds of it, your not ever going to be able to make a AWD ae9x.

this was covered on SRC and after a lengthy discussion, the relization that it is not possible hit.

it will require alot of time money and knowledge.

Edited by Madrox

the blacktop has vvti, silvertop has vvt

No, the Blacktop does NOT have VVTi, it has VVT. It is different to the VVT on the Silvertop, but it is still VVT. It is not intelligent, therefore it doesn't get the i afterwards. Get your facts straight.