automatice gated shift

does it damage the auto transmission if you change the gear manually eg from L>2>3>D on the 07/08 corollas gated shift?

If it did, do you think they'd still put it in the car? Or not put a warning about it in the manual?

When you use the L>2 etc shift points you aren't actually changing gears, just limiting which gears the gearbox can select. L means the box stays in first, 2 allows first and second gear etc etc. It's the same as overdrive, which just locks out/allows top gear to be selected.

does it damage the auto transmission if you change the gear manually eg from L>2>3>D on the 07/08 corollas gated shift?

If it did, do you think they'd still put it in the car? Or not put a warning about it in the manual?

When you use the L>2 etc shift points you aren't actually changing gears, just limiting which gears the gearbox can select. L means the box stays in first, 2 allows first and second gear etc etc. It's the same as overdrive, which just locks out/allows top gear to be selected.

yay this is awsome news i can now have more fun while driving. auto gets boring lol...

yay this is awsome news i can now have more fun while driving. auto gets boring lol...

true.. auto can get boring... :D so yeh... now u can start using manual auto method LOL

true.. auto can get boring... :D so yeh... now u can start using manual auto method LOL

haha yeh so coool. i get my green p's on friday

On the gated style automatic shifter, I would think that shifting up through the gears isn't as wearing on the box as shifting down through the gears. That said though, on my old auto Camry SV21, I would constantly down shift all the way to '2' (turning overdrive off to get into 3rd, then putting the shifter into '2' for second) to help slow my car down while using the brake less. That gearbox was bullet-proof though. No matter what I did to it, it would never die. I once left it in '2' and was entering the highway as quick as I can. I got up to 115km/h before realising that I left it there in 2nd. For some reason, after that my car felt like it was running better.

But yeah, try and minimise down shifting manual style in an auto. Not quite the best. The Toyota box can take a bit of abuse, but I only really gave it to my Camry since it was getting old and I felt like giving it all I could.

On the gated style automatic shifter, I would think that shifting up through the gears isn't as wearing on the box as shifting down through the gears. That said though, on my old auto Camry SV21, I would constantly down shift all the way to '2' (turning overdrive off to get into 3rd, then putting the shifter into '2' for second) to help slow my car down while using the brake less. That gearbox was bullet-proof though. No matter what I did to it, it would never die. I once left it in '2' and was entering the highway as quick as I can. I got up to 115km/h before realising that I left it there in 2nd. For some reason, after that my car felt like it was running better.

But yeah, try and minimise down shifting manual style in an auto. Not quite the best. The Toyota box can take a bit of abuse, but I only really gave it to my Camry since it was getting old and I felt like giving it all I could.

cool. i only down shift when my rolla is sluggishly stuck in 4th gear

This is why people buy manuals :P

i only shift my auto :ph34r: because of the embarassing exhaust which I haven't found the time to get down to another workshop to get fixed up. :unsure:

This is why people buy manuals :P

lol my mum originally bought it for herself but she cant drive manual thus auto then like a week after buyin she was liek its too big im taking your yaris><!!!!!! so we basicly just swapped cars. lol its also easier to get P's on auto. that being said i have to pay off the rolla now>:(

wait she thought the rolla was too big? I do admit I quite like the new shape, I reckon TRD should make a hot version.

yeah she did(myabe an excuse so she wouldnt have to pay it of) and yeh i love the new shape interior is sweet as!