Engine options?

Sunny77

Hey guys, haven't been on here in ages as the Celica's been gathering dust in the father-in-laws yard while i fiddle around with my other ride. I got to thinking about doing an engine swap in that car and it reminded me about my plans for the Celica so i started looking around for engines again. I've got an RA28 and am wanting to eventually replace everything. As for powertrains i was originally wanting to go down the tried and true 1JZGTE route and its still a very healthy option but i'm also considering others. I've been looking into either the 1GGZE or 1GGTE. Both are fairly affordable. There's also a 4AGE which i'm still unconvinced about. Do they have enough grunt to haul around the heavier Celica? Also... still waiting to hear back from the guy what it came out of. If its an MR2 its possibly too much a pain in the rear to re-engineer from a mid set up. And don't flame me here... but i also considered a Nissan engine, either the RB20 or 26 DET.

So i was wondering... anyone have any thoughts on any of these ideas in terms of expense/hassle to do the actual swap, potential problems and expected power outcomes?

Hey guys, haven't been on here in ages as the Celica's been gathering dust in the father-in-laws yard while i fiddle around with my other ride. I got to thinking about doing an engine swap in that car and it reminded me about my plans for the Celica so i started looking around for engines again. I've got an RA28 and am wanting to eventually replace everything. As for powertrains i was originally wanting to go down the tried and true 1JZGTE route and its still a very healthy option but i'm also considering others. I've been looking into either the 1GGZE or 1GGTE. Both are fairly affordable. There's also a 4AGE which i'm still unconvinced about. Do they have enough grunt to haul around the heavier Celica? Also... still waiting to hear back from the guy what it came out of. If its an MR2 its possibly too much a pain in the rear to re-engineer from a mid set up. And don't flame me here... but i also considered a Nissan engine, either the RB20 or 26 DET.

So i was wondering... anyone have any thoughts on any of these ideas in terms of expense/hassle to do the actual swap, potential problems and expected power outcomes?

The 1G's are a popular swap, don't think the 4A-GE would have the torque (and it's most likely going to be a FWD engine, requiring more work and money to first convert it to RWD) and the RB20's are quite overrated.

Personally, I'd either find a RWD 3SGE cut w/ BEAMS (you can turbo it later down the track), 1JZ-GTE or a SR20DET (apparently they go quite alright in early model Celica's). It all comes down to how deep your pockets are.

im a big 4ag fan n u can get awsome power out of them n there small enough to put in nearly nething n get it engineerd mine makes 251 fwhp with a relitively small turbo so you can only go up from there

i reply to what random said about dificulty to convert from front to rear drive every things there to do it when my engine was put on the engine dyno they used gm 308 mounts bolted straight up

i reply to what random said about dificulty to convert from front to rear drive every things there to do it when my engine was put on the engine dyno they used gm 308 mounts bolted straight up

That's on an engine dyno though, not into an engine bay - a complete different kettle of fish.

theres a ta 28 getin around here with a mental 4ag in it i hate the guy but he does have some big figures so i know it can be done nething can be done if u have the paitence n sometimes but not always the money

ill must add thought wat u said bout a 1or 2JZ that would be very nice no other mods required n you've got n atleast 12 sec car

ill must add thought wat u said bout a 1or 2JZ that would be very nice no other mods required n you've got n atleast 12 sec car

You really don't know a lot, do you? What about a new rear diff (I'd like to see the stock one hold up to a couple of hundred kW, especially for a forced induction engine coming onto boost)? What about a new gearbox? What about upgrading the brakes so you don't have a rolling death trap?

I suggest you do a bit more research before you make statements like that in the future.

dude relax i know all about brakes trans diff i meant mods to the engine with a stock 2jzgte in a ra celica will do 12's i know u'd need atleast a supra box n aleast a hilux diff custom tail shaft n wat ever else but like u said it all depends how deep the pockets r but if ur gona mod a car at all u need atleast kinda deep pockets

i mean i did most of to mods to my car less the fab work i have an ae102 with 4agte trd lsd 4agze box celica st184 front calipers n corolla sportivo front disc slotted n vented the brakes n gear box cost me just shy of 2g the car has good traction n awsome stoping power out broke a porche 944turbo down estern creak circuit

how about running a 1UZ-FE or a Commo supercharged 6? Little do I know though :unsure:

1U-FZE has been done, quite successfully from what I've heard. Both the engines you're talking about are quite heavy, so will upset the balance of the car a bit.

1UZ is lighter than you think....all-alloy does have it's advantages

So unless something really rad comes along, i think i'll be going for either the supercharged or turbocharged version of the 1G, or the 1JZGTE. The SR20 is an interesting option too but not sure how it would go with all the extra mods - gearbox, diff etc.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience on how these engines compare as far as bang for buck and in terms of extent of other mods required?