Car alarm and Security system

JIN

Hey ya all.

I am just wondering, has anyone installed aftermarket alarm system on your aurion?

Since I changed my rims, it seems like someone keeps touching my car in the night time and I heard there are robbery going in near my place. :ph34r:

So I am worried of either the whole car is being stolen or the rims.

Maybe I am worrying too much but it'd be better to be careful before something goes badly.

Therefore, I am looking for a alarm system but I don't have any clue which one is good one to have.

Any recommendations and price range?

Also, what happens on immobilizer system if I install after market alarm system?

Any advice and comment would be appriciated.

I was planning on doing a few things to my car (I'll let you use your imagination because I don't want to go into some specifics), but these mods will require me to change my alarm system. I am thinking of ways around it, but here are the main things that will happen if you install an aftermarket alarm.

1) You will lose the nice clean 'beep' that you hear when you lock and unlock. In my opinion, that is one thing I love about the stock system and why I am looking for alternatives.

2) Your stock immobiliser system will be lost, but a good aftermarket alarm will be able to restore this.

3) You lose functionality of ECU programmable features (eg. the feature that you can enable that holds your headlights on for a predetermined time).

4) You will need to integrate the door sensors into all doors. Most systems use a ground sensing wire. For normal cars, you just need to tap one door as they are all linked. On the Aurion however, all doors are sensed individually so you would need to connect to the grounding wire on each door. As well, a diodes needs to be used to separate each line. If the alarm can sense the positive door signal though, you could easily overcome this by connecting into the dome light, or even use a relay to overcome the 4-door issue. If you need more info on this, I can answer; just might be more information that one needs in the meantime.

If you do get an aftermarket alarm, I would highly recommend a Viper. They are pretty good and shouldn't let you down.

But if your mainly worried about the rims, just get a set of locking nuts for them. Should keep you safe in nearly all cases. As for having the whole car stolen, the stock immobiliser in the car is quite good. Unless they have your keys (or a tow truck), your car ain't going anywhere.

what about Toyota's alarm system. dont know too much about them. just that when i bought my car they offered it to me; didnt end up getting it though. but is it just an overpriced peice of crap or is it something worth looking into???

Thanks for comments guys.

But if your mainly worried about the rims, just get a set of locking nuts for them. Should keep you safe in nearly all cases.

Yeah I do have a set of lock nuts. However, did you know the locknuts can be easily broken with some special tools without making noticeable sounds?

I have seen this when I was in New Zealand with my previous car.

I parked my car in dangerous area (Manukau Shopping mall, one of the most dangerous crime points) due to my working place and that car was running on Racing Hart M5 17".

When I came back to my car about 3 hours later, 2 of the locknuts were broken. The security guy came and told me that 3 guys were hanging around near my car and broke them about in 5mins.

It was lucky coz the security guy knew them trying steal something so he kept his eyes on them.

I was shocked that the locknuts could be gone that easily and quick eventho they were average quality one.

So yeah...I don't fully put my trust only in locknuts and that is why I am getting alternative option..

what about Toyota's alarm system. dont know too much about them. just that when i bought my car they offered it to me; didnt end up getting it though. but is it just an overpriced peice of crap or is it something worth looking into???

Well...I bought mine from auction so I have no idea Toyota offers the alarm system.

However, I bet the alarm system from toyota would rip me off hard although it has same functions as cheap aftermarket ones do.

I found some good alarm systems after serching on the internet which have multi point immobilizer function and some more handy features.

I will let you know guys when I get one.

What other alarm system does Toyota offer. All I know is that standard on the Aurion is an intrusion alarm with immobiliser. The intrusion alarm is active once you lock the car and will trip if any door (including bonnet and boot) is opened. The immobiliser is a single point immobiliser that disables the fuel pump or ignition (not 100% sure on which) and only deactivates when a registered key is in the ignition (non smart key) or within the operating vicinity of the car (smart key). As far as I was aware, I thought this is the best that Toyota has to offer. I thought that if you want motion sensors and whatnot, you need to go aftermarket.

im not sure bout that...but im certain that Toyota was trying to offer me a car alarm, what that car alarm offers i have no idea about coz was not interested. but was just thinking about the fact that it we have to reprogram stuff to suit the car and rewiring etc etc... wouldnt toyota alarms fix all of this??? might save the headache, but thats just my thinking :P

"But if your mainly worried about the rims, just get a set of locking nuts for them. Should keep you safe in nearly all cases."

I dont even bother with locknuts these days my ex missus's car had just a set of cheap wheels on it (they were on a kia rio) with locknuts we went to the movies one night when we came out same thing had happened with the security guy he had told us that a dude was gettin into her wheels looked around all the locknuts were missing (1 on each wheel) and one frontwheel was miss 2 others lucky we didnt drive it cause it only had one left holding it on.

but as far as ya alarm system goes me personally would be very cautious of using an aftermarket one on the aurion no. 1 cause the standard on eis quite good and no.2 cause of the what if factor like what if it does somethin to the car or what if it fails at all.

are u able to mount a sensored flood light on ya house near ya car and possibly ya bedroom window at least when that comes on u will wake up haha