Camry drivetrain/gearbox (3sgte)

89Camry

Hey all,

I've put this in the camry section as my car is a camry but i'm open to any information people may have. My 89 camry has 3sgte in it and today the front tranaxle busted/broke and left me on the side of the road with gearbox oil pouring out and needing a tow home. On closer inspection the transaxle is pretty much split in two and one side is hanging out of the gearbox.

Can anyone suggest a stronger gearbox/axle combination that will better be able to handle the power transfer from the engine to the wheels? I've heard a few different stories but any tried and tested combinations would be much help. Any estimated costs would be great as well.

Thanks

What gearbox are you using???????

The E153 that comes with the 3SGTE should be able to withstand 400whp+ without any modifications.

i think his camry is fwd, though. the e153 box would fit perfectly, but its set up for awd.

not familiar with awd systems, but can you just leave the connections for the rear wheels free-spinning and bias the power towards the front?

meh...

i thought the 5 sp. gearbox that came with the 5s-fe could withstand a fair bit of torque, considering they're popular with commodore auto-manual conversions.

Edited by lateralus

What gearbox are you using???????

The E153 that comes with the 3SGTE should be able to withstand 400whp+ without any modifications.

i think his camry is fwd, though. the e153 box would fit perfectly, but its set up for awd.

not familiar with awd systems, but can you just leave the connections for the rear wheels free-spinning and bias the power towards the front?

meh...

i thought the 5 sp. gearbox that came with the 5s-fe could withstand a fair bit of torque, considering they're popular with commodore auto-manual conversions.

The E153 is actually the V6 Camry / MR2 Gearbox (which is good for 400hp) :P

There is an E153 1MZ-FE Supercharged '94 Camry in my driveway right now, lol. The E153 Came on the Camry (FWD), MR2 (RWD, almost the same tranny), and other Toyota's in both FWD and AWD platforms.

Does anyone know if the E153 V6 gearbox, diff & front transaxle will fit into an 89 model camry? Thats the main concern i'm having at the moment. It certainly does seem the most straight forward answer to my problem

Thanks for all the input guys. I really appreciate it!

• 3 weeks later...

hey i am doing a similar conversion to my Camry and i have got my hands on a 5 speed out of a 91 sw20 mr2, i have been told it will bolt into all the mounts alright, will need to purchase the clutch to suit as this gear box has a bigger input shaft & cv shafts compared to the Camry box. for the cv shafts i believe the are the same as the vv21 camry (v6 version of the sv21) the only issue with this gear box is the linkages are on the wrong side but if you have a sv21 box you can move the linkages to the right side of the box, there was a website showing how to do it somewhere but i didn't bookmark that page. message me if you want the website and i will hunt it down.

He and I were talking about it last night and the only issue I couldn't find the answer on was the linkage issue. I know it could be changed, but wasn't sure how. If you find that website, it would be great!

• 3 months later...
He and I were talking about it last night and the only issue I couldn't find the answer on was the linkage issue. I know it could be changed, but wasn't sure how. If you find that website, it would be great!

did you end up getting the car up and running again?

Yeah mate, it was a bit of a trial, but i've got a 99 Camry E153 V6 box in it plus new transaxles. Speedo isn't working at the moment as the new box is electronic and the old speedo was mechanical. its annoying, but the gear changes are pretty much a short shift now as the mechanic had to manually adjust all the linkages to make sure the gears selected properly.

It is great having her back on the road now and hopefully I replaced pretty much all the weak parts now.

• 1 month later...
Yeah mate, it was a bit of a trial, but i've got a 99 Camry E153 V6 box in it plus new transaxles. Speedo isn't working at the moment as the new box is electronic and the old speedo was mechanical. its annoying, but the gear changes are pretty much a short shift now as the mechanic had to manually adjust all the linkages to make sure the gears selected properly.

It is great having her back on the road now and hopefully I replaced pretty much all the weak parts now.

did you manage to get the speedo working with the new gear box? i would love to see the car one day...

velzor

Still haven't got the speedo working as the old speedo doesn't match up to the new electronic gearbox.

My mechanic sourced the gearbox for me. I couldn't give you and exact price as it was all quoted with new transaxles and a few other things. Sourcing the box wasn't hard, just finding an inner transaxle was a bit of a mission.

Happy to meet up on day velzor and show you the car.

how much and where did you get the E153 from? I may be chasing one in the near future.

E153 gearbox off a camry will cost between $600-800 depending on km and year. And the axles off the manual camry will be extremely hard to find but they are about $175 each side. And you have to specify the abs or the non abs ones as the abs ones have a clip for the sensor. Dont ask me how I know :P

how much and where did you get the E153 from? I may be chasing one in the near future.

E153 gearbox off a camry will cost between $600-800 depending on km and year. And the axles off the manual camry will be extremely hard to find but they are about $175 each side. And you have to specify the abs or the non abs ones as the abs ones have a clip for the sensor. Dont ask me how I know :P

Don't spose you know this info Anthony coz the car's in surgery at the moment doing the exact same thing? Hehehehehe... damn need LSD mate!!

Don't spose you know this info Anthony coz the car's in surgery at the moment doing the exact same thing? Hehehehehe... damn need LSD mate!!

I dont know what you are talking about :ph34r: haha and I wouldnt really call it the "exact" same thing :P

wow **** that... i think i will just keep the S53... concidering they can be had for $60....

HAHA! Oh man.......

i'm lead to believe that they can handle up to 300hp.

If that all goes to hell, it might be worth looking into a ST185 box... they arent expensive.