CAI installed

I just got my CAI installed and I just can't get this grin off my face. :D . It is just awesome! It feels like the car is much lighter and it pulls effortlessly. Once it hits lift it just screams. Loving it!

The only slight problem is that when it's not warmed up properly it hesitates under acceleration, like it doesn't wanna go. I know it happens even when it is stock but the hesitation is much more noticable. Is this because of the airflow sensor not reading properly? Any one who has a CAI installed experience this?

Glad to hear you like it ;) Come to think of it I dont think anyone who has purchsed the TRD CAi for a 1zz/2zz has had a bad reaction to it after the install *bows to the TRD gods*

As per camerons post "check all hoses" and also reset the ECU properly.

Silvabullit had similar issues with his CAI install untill we reset it again and got it working properly.

Then after reseting dont forget to give it some spirited driving (on the track)

Edited by Danthuyer

1 - unplug battery for atleast 30 - 45 minutes (you need to do this when installing CAI anyway ;) )

2 - reattach terminsals and start car. (making sure a/c etc. are all turned off)

3 - Let car idle (DO NOT TOUCH ACCELERATOR) for 15 - 30 minutes

4 - turn engine off

5 - remove terminals again for 30 - 60 seconds

6 - connect terminals up again and fasten properly

7 - Drive it HARD!!!!

3 - Let car idle (DO NOT TOUCH ACCELERATOR) for 15 - 30 minutes

5-10mins is fine you just need to make sure that it gets to operating temp ie half way on the guage

we did 5-10 minutes with silvabullets remember !?!?!? and we had to reset it aagain that night at the BP remember? and the longer idling time proved to make the benefit ;)

Craigson,

Wehhahah we get to do this again tomorrow.. fun times to be had by all... :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :ph34r:

yes...yes we do ...yet another CAI install to add to my tally ;) if we have alot of time on our hands we should do a step by step install guide finally with new pictures for everyone?....how does that sound?

BlackRolla... Did u get the CAI from Lansvale????

Yeah that's right. Shift Performance Shop 4/175 Hume Highway Lansvale. ph: (02)97289654. Talk to either Anthony or Sam. They treat u well.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try that and see how it goes. We did disconnect the battery when installing the CAI and it took about 30 mins. But when we connected it back up again I did not let it idle for 15 - 30 mins. Just took off and drove it hard. I will try that when I get time. disconnect battery for 30 mins and reconnect. Then Let it idle for 15 - 30 mins. All up it would take 1 hour. I don't think I have the patience. :blink::lol:

Thanks again for the feedback. Appreciate it!

BlackRolla... Did u get the CAI from Lansvale????

Yeah that's right. Shift Performance Shop 4/175 Hume Highway Lansvale. ph: (02)97289654. Talk to either Anthony or Sam. They treat u well.

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try that and see how it goes. We did disconnect the battery when installing the CAI and it took about 30 mins. But when we connected it back up again I did not let it idle for 15 - 30 mins. Just took off and drove it hard. I will try that when I get time. disconnect battery for 30 mins and reconnect. Then Let it idle for 15 - 30 mins. All up it would take 1 hour. I don't think I have the patience. :blink::lol:

Thanks again for the feedback. Appreciate it!

blackrolla how much the CAI set you back? B)

As Craig and other will tell you, the TRD CAI with the TRD pod does not fit well. To solve this - cut about four inches off the end (pod end) of the CAI pipe. The result will be a pod that sits perfectly with its base just above the fog light. If you don't do this - the pod will rub on the fog light and in no time the gause will get damaged. Alternatively you have to buy a K&N pod for $80+ which takes the cost of this mod from stupid to rediculous.

I will try to take a photo of mine soon.

blackrolla how much the CAI set you back? 

They are actually $210 for the CAI itself.

I tried Danthuyer's method of resetting the ECU. I think it worked. Just have to wait till tomorrow to see if the car is still running OK. :D

Thanks for the tips.

OK...I think there is still a problem with surging or hesitation. I have reset the ECU per Danthuyer's advice. I don;t know what's wrong with it.

did u guys get unichip or Emanage to tune the air:fuel ratios? I got a feeling it's to do with the sensor not reading the correct air flow. I did install it correctly with only the air flow sensor attatched to the pipe. Did u also have to attatch the connector that opens up the flap from the air box as well?

I don;t know what to do now and I need help please!!! :o :o

Gravityfreak,

Does this cutting of the pipe have any effect operationally that you know of?

Mike

Hey Mike,

No - makes absolutely no difference. Just makes it fit much much better. Someone could argue that sitting a tad higher it would draw air that is 10000th of a degree warmer but that would just anal.

So break out that hack saw.

GF

Gravityfreak,

Does this cutting of the pipe have any effect operationally that you know of?

Mike

Hey Mike,

No - makes absolutely no difference. Just makes it fit much much better. Someone could argue that sitting a tad higher it would draw air that is 10000th of a degree warmer but that would just anal.

So break out that hack saw.

GF

I did a fresh install of the TRD CAI on friday night for one of the brisbane guys here. We installed it with the TRD filter and also installed the fog light. after taking it for a run we switched over to the K+N extreme and the owner of the car noticed a vast improvment.

This is due to the pipe sitting too far down into the pod. hence why GF here has cut his ;) taking off the bottom 3-4 inches creates better airflow for the TRD POD if you dont want to have part of it hitting above the light and damagig the pod or have it hanging out the foglight hole ;)

That was the case craig, after the intiall installation and taking the car for a strap after the necessary procedures i was almost disgusted by the TRD filter.. saying that it more than likely only had about 2-3 inches of breathing room. the K & N is on now and i have reset the ECU again and now i can honestly feel a significant difference. managed to take the car for a nice long drive to the coast on the weekend and needless to say LIFT was used and ABUSSED ,, lovely sound and power created by the new toy..

Thank you for everyone who was involved,, or made them self a nussiance "kyle"

Cheers

Greg

PS.. THE BAR FRIDGE IS FULL AGAIN.... bastards.. :P

That was the case craig, after the intiall installation and taking the car for a strap after the necessary procedures i was almost disgusted by the TRD filter.. saying that it more than likely only had about 2-3 inches of breathing room. the K & N is on now and i have reset the ECU again and now i can honestly feel a significant difference.  managed to take the car for a nice long drive to the coast on the weekend and needless to say LIFT was used and ABUSSED ,, lovely sound and power created by the new toy..

Cheers

Greg

the k&n did make a difference, the top end breathes better. the TRD one feels asthmatic, but having said that the TRD had slightly better mids and sounds better.

That was the case craig, after the intiall installation and taking the car for a strap after the necessary procedures i was almost disgusted by the TRD filter.. saying that it more than likely only had about 2-3 inches of breathing room. the K & N is on now and i have reset the ECU again and now i can honestly feel a significant difference.  managed to take the car for a nice long drive to the coast on the weekend and needless to say LIFT was used and ABUSSED ,, lovely sound and power created by the new toy..

Cheers

Greg

I must stress that this install was with the TRD pod filter and the foglight installed functioning in the front bar. not with the pod sitting in the foglight hole

Edited by Danthuyer

My car felt perfect right after installation by Dave, had battery disconnected for about 2 hours, warmed the car up and ran great. But a few weeks later i had the hesitation at start up in stinking heat (30degrees plus). That was when i tried to drive off without warming the car up but the car didn't want to go. I also had idle problems (Once Only!). That was wierd and it never happened again. I use the TRD pod filter and Dave and i pushed the sucker so hard it must be all the up the pipe!! It clears the fog light.

I have an aftermarket one sitting at home, does the space where the pod is supposed to fit (behind the light) have enough airflow, or would it be more beneficial/even possible to help 'direct' extra air to the filter?