HELP!

JJCRU23R

I got a new widescreen monitor today... COMPAQ WF 1907.

My pc didnt have the option of reaching the resolution that this screen requires.

Right now my screen is set at the old screen's resolution 1280x768 @60Hz.

My new screen's optimum resolution is 1440x900@60Hz.

the drivers that i downloaded online for this screen dont even have the optimum setting! after installing the latest driver from the hp website, now the resolution options jump from 1280x768 to 1600x900..(roughly- i performed a system restore because i played around with the settings a bit too much). there is no way (as far as i can see) to manually set the screen resolution to exactly what i need!

is there any other way besides via the display settings in the control panel to change the monitor settings????

HELP! im sick of looking at my screen being stretched out n not so in focus.

I got a new widescreen monitor today... COMPAQ WF 1907.

My pc didnt have the option of reaching the resolution that this screen requires.

Right now my screen is set at the old screen's resolution 1280x768 @60Hz.

My new screen's optimum resolution is 1440x900@60Hz.

the drivers that i downloaded online for this screen dont even have the optimum setting! after installing the latest driver from the hp website, now the resolution options jump from 1280x768 to 1600x900..(roughly- i performed a system restore because i played around with the settings a bit too much). there is no way (as far as i can see) to manually set the screen resolution to exactly what i need!

You need the VIDEO card drivers not the monitor card drivers.

The monitor "drivers" are really just a profile to tell windows what refresh settings it likes at certain resolutions.

is there any other way besides via the display settings in the control panel to change the monitor settings????

HELP! im sick of looking at my screen being stretched out n not so in focus.

Thats the right place to change the monitor.

What you need to do is look up the type of video card you have (look under the advance tab in the monitor settings).

Download the latest driver and you should have the required resolution.

www.nvidia.com or www.ati.com or www.intel.com

depending on what graphics card you got.

Edited by neK

according to the PC it says i have an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X... dated 2003.08.17 lol!

OK... looks like i may have found the problem. thanks neK!

btw hows that HD tuner you bought from me? still working?

EDIT-

the very reason why i bought a new LCD screen in the first place is because my HP F1703 monitor started acting up. ive had this screen since like 2003, when i bought this computer. the thing is, about 4 weeks after buying the HP, the screen would switch on for 2-4 seconds, turn off, then instantly turn on again, and so on. The green LED on the brick was flickering simultaneously with the screen going on and off. I was under warranty at the time so i just had the monitor replaced... did not know exactly what the problem was and no explanation was given.

fast forward to 2nights ago... my HP f1703 started doing the exact same thing. thats y i bought thi new 19" wide screen. now does anyone know what is causing the problem and is is repairable????

Edited by J_J

thanks for the help guys.

i went to the NVIDIA website and downloaded the latest driver. its all clear and im REALLY happy with how its looking!

my main concern now is how much a possible repair job on my old 17" monitor would cost.

does anyone know where i can get one done? how much?

Mate,

Its not worth repairing monitors these days, especially 17"

You can pick up a 19" WS Samsung for Sub $280 now - Retail.

If you do want to repair it, depending what the problem is your looking at least $100, thats say 1 lamp + labour

Well didnt you say that the 17" monitor had the same problem that the 19" widescreener just developed? Try the 17" again with the new drivers, may not be broken. And if it is, bin it. Cheaper to buy a new monitor really

If its an CRT monitor, i'll say just bin it.

If its a LCD monitor, I'll say just bin it too. If its under warranty, then its a different story. Its cheaper to spend 100-200 bucks and get a new one.

Hope that helps. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

im guessing the lamp is broken in the 17" monitor. its like i can see lines and tiny bits of detail in the screen when its not lit.. so pixels seem to work... but the lamp is busted?

my 19" doesnt have the same problem. it was a driver issue.. but thats fixed.

Monitors are extremely cheap now, if your just using it to surf the net or so, its only $163 (or ex government one for $70, if your gaming, or xbox or such, i suggest the ASUS Asus VW222S 22inch Wide 2ms VGA Tilt Speaker 1ysZBD Pixel or any other 2ms monitors, in my house, my 2 brothers have 1 each, it doesnt ghost (produce double images) and black out and refresh whilst playing intense games,

thanks for the help guys.

i went to the NVIDIA website and downloaded the latest driver. its all clear and im REALLY happy with how its looking!

First thing you should ALWAYS do when you have visual issues is to update your video card drivers. I'm actually surprised that the MX440 is capable of widescreen resolutions etc, it's a very basic card from over 5 years ago, and is several generations behind current video card technology.

First thing you should ALWAYS do when you have visual issues is to update your video card drivers. I'm actually surprised that the MX440 is capable of widescreen resolutions etc, it's a very basic card from over 5 years ago, and is several generations behind current video card technology.

I agree. I was like WTF would that card work on the monitor in the first place??? Oh by the way, LCD monitors don't have "lamps". Its just whether there are dead pixels or not.

I agree. I was like WTF would that card work on the monitor in the first place??? Oh by the way, LCD monitors don't have "lamps". Its just whether there are dead pixels or not.

They do have lamps...it's called a backlight. The pixels aren't giving off light, they're just filtering it. And dead pixels are either one of the following - Hot (always on, white), Dead (always off, black), and stuck (always on, a particular colour - note that most stuck pixels are actually sub-pixels, if a stuck pixel is any colour other than red blue or green then more than one sub-pixel is stuck)

damn.. anyone got a link on where to find exgovt. monitors? wouldnt mind one for my 360.

EDIT - nice of you to mention that hiro.. i had 1 pixel on my NEW screen turn blue whenever the screen is black. this was straight out of the box too. i have the recipt and all that, i just wanted the monitor to be running at its proper resolution before im bothered to bring it back.

Edited by J_J

damn.. anyone got a link on where to find exgovt. monitors? wouldnt mind one for my 360.

EDIT - nice of you to mention that hiro.. i had 1 pixel on my NEW screen turn blue whenever the screen is black. this was straight out of the box too. i have the recipt and all that, i just wanted the monitor to be running at its proper resolution before im bothered to bring it back.

It'll probably be blue all the time, but you can only see it on a blank screen because of the contrast. Most manufacturers will only replace a monitor if it has multiple stuck or dead pixels, some upwards of 8 and only if they're tightly clustered. It's a rort considering the quality of some panels out there. My dad's laptop has got no less than 8 vertical lines across his screen, each a different colour, and they're spaced all across the screen, and the laptop is only a year or two old. My 5-year old Dell, which has seen a pretty hard life, has got a bunch of dead columns on the very right hand edge, so they don't affect things, and there are a couple on the left hand side of the screen but they're just outside where a 4:3 picture sits (the screen is 16:10), so a lot of the time that doesn't bother me either (I only use the laptop screen for internet and when I'm on the road, all the other time it's plugged into a 22" widescreen Acer LCD