QR Track Day

QR track day - great fun. I did my first one last year and loved it and am eager to slice my time down now.

Just remember to drive at 8/10ths and you'll be fine.

Saturday week, the 31st

I was planning on the 21st February, but that just went out the window.

Gav, you should be aiming under 1.10. TRD Aurion, ohhh, I reckon 1.07's.

Whó's in and don't all go soft on me. There were 5 sportivo's last time I was there, so you are in your element.

whitestivo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do we need? I've got an elcheapo open face helmet. And if drags are anything to go by, we need long sleave cotton clothes I think?

It all depends on if I can get the Eibachs fitted before then. I wouldn't feel very confident going around without the car all high and rollypolly atm.

Has anyone ever tried Lakeside? I think it was resurfaced recently. I would like to start on the safer track, which I guess is QR?

Cheers, Gav.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...ic=7358&hl=

That should give some info on whats required for the days.

Gav, I would recommend not going to Lakeside unless you have some experience or are willing/able to write a car off. On average 2 cars are written off each event. It hasn't been resuraced entirly, but I think most of it has been.

there is no minimum requirement for mods to do a track day other than a car that is capable of taking to conditions. I say turn up regardless of it you have springs or not as you will just keep delaying it until the next mod turns up. Thats how I convinved whitestivo to come :P

Gav

There's a million reasons not to go, I know as I ran through them, theré always another mod to do.

Go out and do the day, then do it again with the eibachs on. Then you will know if your cash actually meant anything to the performance of the car.

QR for a novice is scary, but really the chance of scratching your doors are minimal, there's heaps of run off and the circuit they run, you don't go much over 160kmh anyway.

313-GNT, would be good to see that Aurion out on the track

SD, I take it you are already going, with the corolla?

whitestivo

QR is a fun and exciting (if you push it) track.

Its also wide & safe, there aren't any places that will catch you out and send you to the wall.

The only time i can see you getting in trouble is over confidence :P so if you haven't tracked much its the place to go.

My first track day was on a WET QR, was pouring down in the first 2 or 3 sessions, talk about a steep learning curve, but I managed okay :P

Remember track days are for a having fun. Learning the characteristics of your car and improving your driving skills comes naturally ;)

Hope this has convinced more ppl to head out :)

mmmm....id love to see wat the springs are like under that sort of conditions...but i think im goin to take a miss 1. autos with non 100% lock to gears and track racing dont mix to well and without haveing a cooler like the trd's i dont want to wreck my transmission and 2. ive had 2 mates that have done track days and w@nkers in pieces of sh|t have run into both of them and then there insurace hadnt payed, im also a bit worried about that, so guys sorry im out....when we do a drag day ill be in tho :D

im keen to see wat daryl and elgin are goin to do tho....

calling red aurionnnsss.............

how much is it btw?

Edited by eSEXSIX

I am very keen, but I will be taking it easy as I have just put on new tyres. But it will be good to finally see what my car is made of! It's my first time and I just want to use this as a learning experience.

Do I fill in the form and send it in now?

Also, the form states it's $5 for helmet hire. Should I go for that or get my own helmet?

Edited by TRD Aurion Owner

My first track day was on a WET QR, was pouring down in the first 2 or 3 sessions, talk about a steep learning curve, but I managed okay :P

Real men race in the rain B)

DHC09, you coming with the new 4AGE?

Thats Nate :P

mmmm....id love to see wat the springs are like under that sort of conditions...but i think im goin to take a miss 1. autos with non 100% lock to gears and track racing dont mix to well and without haveing a cooler like the trd's i dont want to wreck my transmission and 2. ive had 2 mates that have done track days and w@nkers in pieces of sh|t have run into both of them and then there insurace hadnt payed, im also a bit worried about that, so guys sorry im out....when we do a drag day ill be in tho :D

im keen to see wat daryl and elgin are goin to do tho....

calling red aurionnnsss.............

how much is it btw?

Entry, last year haven't looked this year, is $99 + licence fee + helmet if needed

Don't quote me on this as it's been a while since I have looked. But a day licence is something like $20, and the annual is like $60. Annual works from purchase date, not calendar year, so is pretty good.

Must have been unlucky as I have only ever seen car to car contact twice, was it your mates both times? :lol: DHC09 is an auto and happily goes 'round.

I am very keen, but I will be taking it easy as I have just put on new tyres. But it will be good to finally see what my car is made of! It's my first time and I just want to use this as a learning experience.

Do I fill in the form and send it in now?

Also, the form states it's $5 for helmet hire. Should I go for that or get my own helmet?

Hair nets cost $5, helmet hire is a $50 returnable deposit. I'd get my own helmet if possible as they are open face ;)

With new tyres I would try and put 1000km on them before thrashing them so that they don't wear too quickly since the rubber needs to 'bed in'.

Do you recommend doing a service before and after the track day?

Rowan: Come on....you know you want to.... :-)

Daryl: Come on....you know you want to.... :-)

We need more Aurions to balance out the Falcadore bogans there....

Edited by TRD Aurion Owner

Do you recommend doing a service before and after the track day?

How long ago was your last service? If more than 5,000km then I'd swap oil before. If less than swap it after, but if you changed it before don't change it again after as it gets too expensive.

Actually there isn't all that many falcons and commodores that turn up. It's a big mix of everything.

having been out, the marshalls keep a very close eye on all track activites, with racing actively discouraged, and if you wish to set a good time, your best off with clear lap anyway. The only person to leave the track did exactly what the officials told him not to do, powerslide onto the main straight!

313 - your call, just watch your temp gauge no issues. it's only 5 laps, and then a cool down, and quite frankly, your tyres and brakes will give out well before hand.

you treat your car with respect, and it will give you years.

SD is right, check it all over, then turn up. They give you a debrief on the day, tell you what to do. QR has heaps run off.

Cost is 119 now with 20 for license for day and 5 hair net. I only ever get day licence to stop me going more than three times a year.

the helmets, they have, just easier that way. turn up with car prepared, you prepared, take notes after each session to learn something and you will be amazed at the improvement.

I'm entering tomorrow, SD, I'll email you when I've done it.

Don't need to tell you how often i look at the video's and pictures of my track day. 1/4 mile is for cubes the track is for driving. just ask an s2000 driver.

whitestivo

Added to this, I can't tell you the number of times when i was at the drags in my 200sx, i saw someone get the start wrong, hit the wall, lose it mid track, hit the wall, have another car push another into the wall. The drags, the wall is right beside you, QR, it's miles away.

Now I'm just deciding on an annual of day license... hmmm

whitestivo

whitestivo: I'm run'in 1ZZ POWAHHHH :P

eSEXSIX: Mate, nothing wrong with an auto on track :P Mine is easily on par *if not faster* with a stock WRX (except on the straight) and have surprised a lot of people both on track and nebo :P

Just don't don't leave it in Drive. You can still down shift and control the gear your in. A lot more fun than ppl assume ;)

On the sprint track I only use 2nd and 3rd, only go into 4th down the main straight, so in a way its not too much of a disadvantage, less gear changes FTW :P

PS: Won't be out on the 31st, need to go to the airport.

Edited by DHC09