QR Track Day

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Phil, that's probably because my racing gear will be noticeably absent on the day. :P But I'm happy to come watch, support, and take piccies.

I reckon I will watch the first one and take notice of where you guys brake and what racing lines you take.

I'm not crazy about doing that in the Sportivo without having put nice pads in the front or the springs being done.

Besides I am building a car to start doing this sort of thing, and I would rather save it for this, and not risk anything happening to the Sportivo.

Hopefully the TX3 will be finished being fixed before the next track day.

Cheers, Gav.

I'm going to have to cancel. My manifold or cat is screwed up and got no powah :( So will have to see whats wrong with it and get new (improved) bits.

Got it all sussed out I think, will have to turn up to make sure its all honky dory.

I'm so excited...... :D

BTW, I will be bringing a video camera and tripod and my wife's uncle who is a bit of a revhead himself. Hopefully he will take some good footage for us!

I would have liked to get a in-car camera mount but no time to get it this time. Maybe next time.

Are we meeting at the Goodna BP?

Hey guys,

I suggest we meet up at Goodna BP servo from 10:30am, and we can then depart at 10:45am to arrive at QR at around 11am. This way we should get parking together, and that will be handy for those of us just spectating or holding parts in our cars for those racing.

Just remember that your car will not be roadworthy with the back seats, spare tyres and jacks removed. But atleast if you have the spare tyre and jack you might get by without a fine (as they are safety items).

Cheers, Gav.

Just remember that your car will not be roadworthy with the back seats, spare tyres and jacks removed. But atleast if you have the spare tyre and jack you might get by without a fine (as they are safety items).

Cheers, Gav.

The seats are at the trimmers being retrimmed :P

I'll be driving striaght to QR, I don't like stopping around the Goodna traffic chaos area. All my hard work to get ahead can be undone by stopping :P

:o really? I always drive a shell to the track :P and yes... bring the spare and the appropriate lug nuts :whistling: you never know what might happen...

Guys I had a fantastic first day at the track!! Incredible fun....

I'll let Gav post his photos up. I ended up with best timing of 1min 8s which I am happy with as the first session. Unfortunately the last lap was untimed or I have a strong feeling I would have cracked 1min 7s.

Still have lots to learn about following the driving lines and which parts of the curve to hug. Thanks for all the invaluable advice, Phil and Gav!

My speeds at the turns currently are:

1) 120

2) 120

3) 60

4) 60 - 70

5) 80

6) Not sure...this is the trickiest bend and trying to negotiate it without losing traction while maintaining a proper speed is the hard part.

Next round I will try to bump up my cornering speeds by 10km/h. Especially in the first 2 turns, car felt like it could really take more than I was giving it. Also, I will turn off traction control next time. I did it for the last round and it really helped to keep the car cornering under power.

Kudos to TRD to making a large FWD with long wheelbase handle so well. Even when the limit was achieved, I could still control the car and never did I feel the car going out of control, except for one spot where I had lift-off oversteer, and that was due to my fault when I over-corrected when the car understeered

I have really learnt a lot from this track day. I would say I've learnt more in one day than the last 9 months combined. It can only get better! One thing I would really like to improve in is to use more of the TRD's braking power. I think I braked too early in some spots which lost me some time. The car has phenomenal brakes and I need to make use of that to my advantage by braking later and harder.

I will post up some video soon.

Edited by Supercharged TRD

Well it was a busy day for me too :P juggling two cameras all arvo

Here are the ones from my camera.

There are LOADS more taken on North's

LINK

btw: i accidentally left the SOFT setting on... so the action shot were a bit crappy :(

Edited by DHC09

Sorry I was unable to give out advice to the Aurion owner (don't know you name :P). I can only say from experience in my car; but on road tyres it's hard to try and go much over 120kph on turn 2, turn 1 at 130+ is also a challenge. From watching your first session exiting turn 6 did look a little messy. Try and use up the whole track. Also depending on the day and who has been laying the rubber the grippy line changes, so you need to go looking for it. It can be in tight out out a couple of meters from the apex. Turn off the traction control! Cheapest mod ever, QR has special compounds put down to give more grip ;)

Sorry I was unable to give out advice to the Aurion owner (don't know you name :P). I can only say from experience in my car; but on road tyres it's hard to try and go much over 120kph on turn 2, turn 1 at 130+ is also a challenge. From watching your first session exiting turn 6 did look a little messy. Try and use up the whole track. Also depending on the day and who has been laying the rubber the grippy line changes, so you need to go looking for it. It can be in tight out out a couple of meters from the apex. Turn off the traction control! Cheapest mod ever, QR has special compounds put down to give more grip ;)

Hi Dave

My name is Elgin (pronounced El-Jin). Thanks for the advice, yes turn 6 seems to be my archilles' heel but I intend to beat that the next time round! :D

I have added the results here. Sorry Northy, I don't have the numbers for round 2 and round 3 for group 1. I only added the results for those whose names I know. If your results are not in there please PM me your real name and I can add your results if you wish.

Edited by Supercharged TRD

Elgin: Making up speed in the corners is useful. However don't take speed away from your exit. If you can get onto the front straight say 5-10kph faster there is a good 350m of going 5-10kph quicker. There is an easy way to take a few tenths of a second off ;). But track time is still very important, you will improve the more you try different things.

more pics

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

Superdave I hear a few granny changes in there LOL. By looking at the video I cansee a few places where you could possibly make better use of track and maybe improve times. Thinking I might have to come out to next one if it doesn't clash with the co-cirricular activities and help you guys out with some info and set up.