QR Track Day

Round 3 Lap 1 1.06.2417

Round 3 Lap 2 1.05.8633

Round 3 Lap 3 1.06.2728

Round 3 Lap 4 1.06.3710

Round 3 Lap 5 1.06.9586

That is a beatiful set of numbers.

SuperDave, I can't open the link to your pictures.

I also attach a more detailed analysis of my times. Session 1 was damp. Session two, I missed second twice in turn 3, resulting in poor exit and overall lap times. I can also spot a consistent slower 5th lap, which may have something to do with tires. Any other insights and suggestions for improvement.

whitestivo

Edited by whitestivo

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After doing a thorough analysis, these are the things I could have done better:

1) Turning traction control off

No brainer here. I lost valuable time when the TCS detected wheelspin and applied brakes, slowing me down.

2) Not following the driving line

Next time, I'll plot the exact route and stick to it. Didn't follow the outside line to maximise turning radius.

3) Braking too early

I feel I could have braked later and took advantage of the TRD brakes better. Didn't listen to the advice of the TRD salesman "brake hard, brake late, clear the apex and power on".

4) Over-compensating for understeer

I tended to overcompensate when understeering by locking the wheels in the opposite direction instead of gently releasing power and allowing grip to return. Lost valuable time trying to re-align the steering.

If Neal Bates can tackle the Philip Island track in a TRD Aurion in 1min 59s, then it must be the driver and not the car that is the problem! I had a look at some video footage of yesterday and in the last corner I was doing a 4 wheel drift sometimes! Looks awesome....hehe. I love the challenge of driving a FWD, it makes you have balls of steel (especially when you are understeering at 120km/h!)

Itching to go again on April 4/May 23.

Edited by Supercharged TRD

Bren is hitting the track?! some komi action? :D

Damn those Komi bastards :P

Yeah, I'm surprised at how few people attended that round, usually it is very busy. For example last year points only went down to a 65s lap time at the first round. I'm pretty certain that the CRX with the 62s lap time was on full slicks <_<

• 2 weeks later...
Bren is hitting the track?! some komi action? :D

Damn those Komi bastards :P

Yeah, I'm surprised at how few people attended that round, usually it is very busy. For example last year points only went down to a 65s lap time at the first round. I'm pretty certain that the CRX with the 62s lap time was on full slicks <_<

62 seconds isnt too bad.

I ran my simple little Toyota around the sprint track a few times in 2007 and managed to get a 54.36s lap time as the best effort.

I didnt think that was too bad for an old rwd jap car

62 seconds isnt too bad.

I ran my simple little Toyota around the sprint track a few times in 2007 and managed to get a 54.36s lap time as the best effort.

Geez, a 54s lap is flying! That is almost the lap record. Or do you mean 64?

Do they run the full track, I know when we are out there with the superkarts they vary the track layout each round.

Not for the sprints. Need to attend a private track day or turn up to a test session to use the full track; and even then it is up to QR's discretion.

Now Kombi on the track yet. need my big brakes first!! Will be there crewing for North and happy to lend a hand to others if need be.

I don't like removing gravel oout of the front of corolla's either SD. not in my job description.....

62 seconds isnt too bad.

Geez, a 54s lap is flying! That is almost the lap record. Or do you mean 64?

Fifty four, Dave