Installing A CAI

I just installed the Simota CAI the other week. Just follow the same steps as the TRD one. It's exactly the same. Just remeber to reset the ECU. I found that resetting the ECU should be done when the engine is cold. So when u let the car idle it starts from cold to warm and therefore will adjust accordingly. I had a few problems with hestitation when accelerating but when I resetted the ECU when engine was cold it was all good.

Good luck mate

I just installed the Simota CAI the other week. Just follow the same steps as the TRD one. It's exactly the same. Just remeber to reset the ECU. I found that resetting the ECU should be done when the engine is cold. So when u let the car idle it starts from cold to warm and therefore will adjust accordingly. I had a few problems with hestitation when accelerating but when I resetted the ECU when engine was cold it was all good.

Good luck mate

Sorry if this question is silly, but i really dont know how to reset ECU?? could any buddy help me?

1) disconnet the battery for 30mins+

2) reconnect the battery and let the car idle for 5-10mins (make sure all the acessories are OFF)

3) turn the car off and disconnect the battery for ~30sec

4) reconnect the battery, start the car and drive the rings off it.

2) reconnect the battery and let the car idle for 5-10mins (make sure all the acessories are OFF)

Thanks a lot Northy!!!!! It really helped!!!!

BTW, apart from installing CAI, what other situations i should reset ECU??

Thanks a lot Northy!!!!! It really helped!!!!

BTW, apart from installing CAI, what other situations i should reset ECU??

the last part of step 4 is the MOST important, um if you change the pod filter you should reset the ECU appart from nothing comes to mind

Can anyone explain the suggested and seemingly arcane ECU resetting procedure?

I have changed several times from the stock airbox to my CAI - WITHOUT disconnecting the battery and thus the ECU has not been reset. The ECU is always learning, so all resetting will do is maybe speed up the process of adapting to increased airflow (and therefore increase fuel delivery) with a CAI installed. But leaving it alone will eventually do the same thing...

As for disconnecting for 30 mins, then idling until warm, then disconnecting again for 30-60 seconds, then driving the tits off your car - that just sounds silly. The second disconnection will just reset the ECU again so why bother?

Why not just use Voodoo - it seems to have just as much validity and basis in reality as the above crazy procedure.

i've heard of others a step 1.5 should be included (press the brakes for a few seconds) apparently leaks out any energy stored the the cars electricals... where did you get the simotoa CAI how much was it???

Edited by mx83toy

I just took the rolla for a spin after installing the cai and resetiing the ecu and could not believe the difference :D its like driving a different car. One question though did any one else get a knocking sound when starting the car with the cai? on mine seems to do it every time, i think it could be the cai drawing in air on ignition? anyone else have any other theories as what it could be?

Can anyone explain the suggested and seemingly arcane ECU resetting procedure?

I have changed several times from the stock airbox to my CAI - WITHOUT disconnecting the battery and thus the ECU has not been reset.  The ECU is always learning, so all resetting will do is maybe speed up the process of adapting to increased airflow (and therefore increase fuel delivery) with a CAI installed.  But leaving it alone will eventually do the same thing...

As for disconnecting for 30 mins, then idling until warm, then disconnecting again for 30-60 seconds, then driving the tits off your car - that just sounds silly.  The second disconnection will just reset the ECU again so why bother?

Why not just use Voodoo - it seems to have just as much validity and basis in reality as the above crazy procedure.

yes it does speed up the recalibration process, the 30mins is to clear the ECU so that it rememebers nothing, the 30sec is to let it reboot so to speak, its like updating system files on a PC it needs to reboot to use them the ECU works in the same way, and as for driving the "tit's" of your car, your ECU will learn how you drive and the first 2-300km is its steepest learning curve so you have to shape it so to speak so that you get the end result that you are looking for.

They dont have any more stock until week after next.

They said its an copy of the TRD one. so I cant imagine a huge difference in performance.

Ive put my name down for 1.

Any one in sydney (hills) able to help out with an install ? Beer and lunch down at the local pub ? :D :D

They dont have any more stock until week after next.

They said its an copy of the TRD one. so I cant imagine a huge difference in performance.

Ive put my name down for 1.

Any one in sydney (hills)  able to help out with an install ? Beer and lunch down at the local pub ? :D  :D

Check you PM's - I'll give you a hand

• 2 weeks later...