front bar modifications

many of you may be aware about the fibreglass carmate frontbar that i have had in my posession for quite some time.

the original c-one and the actual bar i have (being installed by the frontbars previous owner - never really completed the install)

frontbarrs.jpg

and this is the frontbar as i attempted to see how far off the fitment was on my corolla.

DSCF1850.jpg

as you can see its far from a perfect fit. it schit.s.. bothers me that the top half of the frontbar is such an awful fit and id like to see it one day installed as smooth as stock.

ive been toying with the idea of somehow chopping off the bottom section of the stock frontbar and somehow attaching the the lower half of the fibreglass bar in its place.

sounds like a big job but just wondering, since were dealing with 2 entirely different materials (plastic and fibreglass), and that we are talking about the entire front end of the car...

just wondering -

1 -would this kinda job be at all possible?

2 -has this been done before?

i know you can install fibreglass hoodscoops to the stock metal hood but im assuming this is an entirely different ballgame..

any advice from others you know or from personal experience would be much appreciated.

jase

hi jj, i have a bit of experience with fibreglass, i see your problem by the looks of it your bar hasnt been laid out correctly dureing the drying process and there for has been twisted and warped out of shape.

if u want me to be honest with you your best bet would be to scrap it and source a new bar and start again because it would take some one with quite a bit of experience in fibreglass parts to correct and fit that bar.

your idea of useing your top end is possible also, but again id recomend that some one with experience do this for you this is a very complex job it would require alot of measureing and theres a chance it still wouldnt work if done by yourself.

id only advise this as a last ditch effort it would be touch and go. if u want to do this i could instruct u on what u have to do

good luck

Subscribed.

Im keen to do the same with my car. Was thinking about cutting a straight line accross & then using fibreglass on the back to stitch together, small amount of bog on front to smooth it over.

But its the strength of the fibreglass holding it together Im worried about. at the same time if its bolted on at the bottom too then it 'shouldnt' move tooooo much???

Subscribed.

Im keen to do the same with my car. Was thinking about cutting a straight line accross & then using fibreglass on the back to stitch together, small amount of bog on front to smooth it over.

But its the strength of the fibreglass holding it together Im worried about. at the same time if its bolted on at the bottom too then it 'shouldnt' move tooooo much???

i wouldnt use fibreglass on the inside, your best bet would be to use a silicone adhesive. use fibreglass as your 1st coat for the outside and finish with putty