Rattling noise from AC Compressor.

Just_Another_Dj

Hey,

I have been getting a rather loud rattling noise coming from where the AC Compressor pulley is located.

I thought it might have been a bearing, if it is what kind of work do you think would be involved. I dont really

wanna go buy a new ac compressor. Could even be the clutch in there.. I know if its that then prob will have to get

a new compressor and get a mechanic to put it in. Anyone had experience with this issue?

Cheers

Hey,

I have been getting a rather loud rattling noise coming from where the AC Compressor pulley is located.

I thought it might have been a bearing, if it is what kind of work do you think would be involved. I dont really

wanna go buy a new ac compressor. Could even be the clutch in there.. I know if its that then prob will have to get

a new compressor and get a mechanic to put it in. Anyone had experience with this issue?

Cheers

YES!! Stop using it immediately and have some refrigerant oil added at once! This happened to me and it would come and go. After a few days the compressor seized up and it was a very costly repair. Apparently this happens when there is a slow leak and just refrigerant is added. You have to replace the oil that leaks out as well.

Hey,

Cheers

YES!! Stop using it immediately and have some refrigerant oil added at once! This happened to me and it would come and go. After a few days the compressor seized up and it was a very costly repair. Apparently this happens when there is a slow leak and just refrigerant is added. You have to replace the oil that leaks out as well.

Thanks for the reply Junebug I'm going to drop it into the shop tomorrow i really hope its just oil and a bearing coz I'm not

looking forward to a new AC compressor!

Cheers. p.s. anyone else have a similar problem that turned out differently post it.

• 3 weeks later...

Was the noise on constantly or only when the air-con was turned on? If it's constant then you know it's the pulley itself, if it comes and goes with the operation of the compressor, then it's either the clutch or something internal.