Need New Tyres

Danos

oh damn, I thought Michelin Energy was good

our Camry Touring came with Michelin Vivacy

it lasted 40,000km with rotation

we were quoted $230 for Michelin something but ended up getting Kumho Solus for $150

my mum finds it a bit more noisy and my sister finds it a bit less grippy

it lasted 15,000km (threads on front tyres went quickly, before we got around to rotate)

so I went back with Michelin, got Michelin Energy at $230

I felt it gave softer ride and had better grip

the Kumho Solus on the rear wheels will require replacement soon

and I was planning to replace them with Michelin Energy as well...

I was also planning to put them on the Aurion when the Dunlop Sport 300E goes

I did have infrequent experiences of squeel on the road with the Dunlop though

Edited by tekkyy

I did have infrequent experiences of squeel on the road with the Dunlop though

Excellent.....

That means they are working (gripping)

Excellent.....

working but was pushed over their limits?

is Michelin Energy a rip off? is there an alternative that is similar or better in noise and grip?

Excellent.....

working but was pushed over their limits?

is Michelin Energy a rip off? is there an alternative that is similar or better in noise and grip?

That's the thing. If they are squeeling and you are not really pushing them, it meas they are working hard when it shouldn't be and it is not particularly good cause it means less grip when you take it harder.

I'm a little biased so mind my answer, but when it was time to change my tires, the Michelin Energy MXV8 was $199 per corner and I could get the Potenza Adrenalin's for $235 per corner, so I spent just that little bit extra and the difference is night and day. Actually seemed quieter than the Michelins as well which was quite surprising.

• 1 month later...
Actually seemed quieter than the Michelins as well which was quite surprising.

whats the treadwear, traction, temperature rating for the Potenza Adrenlin?

any other changes like tyre dimensions or wheel?

I am confused by the ratings though

the $145 Kumho Solus KH15 that I was unhappy with (mileage, noise, grip, comfort)...turns out to have better numbers written on the rubber

Kumho Solus KH15 205/60R16 92H ($145 2007)

Treadwear 340 Traction AA Temperature A

Michelin Energy MXV8 205/60R16 92V ($215 2008)

Treadwear 280 Traction A Temperature A

and the Aurion

Dunlop SP Sport 300E 215/60R16 95V (stock)

Treadwear 240 Traction A Temperature A

The RE001s are a very good tyre. I was hoping to try the Kumho KU36, but that would entail me changing rims...no $$ so settled for the 225/50R17.

The 225 suits the car quite well and there's no noticeable increase in fuel consumption (biut a noticeable increase in grip). I took the car up to Port Macquarie on fresh RE001 and even managed to achieve <8 on fuel consumption (based on the trip computer). I run the tyres on 38psi all round.

I did back to back testing once and the RE001 were only about 2 seconds a lap slower than the RE55s @ Wakefield.

ok so the UTQG traction rating written on our tyres is about wet traction

for dry traction, it'll be more useful for me to just listen to what people say

Actually seemed quieter than the Michelins as well which was quite surprising.

whats the treadwear, traction, temperature rating for the Potenza Adrenlin?

any other changes like tyre dimensions or wheel?

Sorry, I got your PM before I saw this thread. Some of us were at the National Meet so cut me a little slack on the reply timeframe :P

I'll post it again here for others to see anyways. For the Potenza Adreanalin:

Treadwear 220 Traction A Temperature A

It's important to note that when comparing treadwear numbers, it only really makes sense to compare with other tires under the same brand as each manufacturer can run by their own separate standards for their numbering. In other words, one brand of tire may have a treadwear of 300, but wear faster than another brand of tire with a treadwear of 200.

When I changed to the Adrenalin, I could swear the tire looked much larger than the Michelin Energy MXV8 that I had on before hand. Either way, these tires served me well. I've nearly worn them out (1mm from treadwear indicator) and I've only travelled 20,000km on them (bearing in mind that the last 3,800km was spent on a drive to and from Melbourne). If you get these tires, you just have to restrain yourself from pushing the limits of your car all the time otherwise you'll wear them out like I did. I expect under normal everyday driving conditions that these tires will last more than 35,000km. I miss the day when they were new and looked like this:

dsc03334gi7.th.jpg dsc03336ur6.th.jpg dsc03338ou6.th.jpg

The RE001s are a very good tyre. I was hoping to try the Kumho KU36, but that would entail me changing rims...no $$ so settled for the 225/50R17.

The 225 suits the car quite well and there's no noticeable increase in fuel consumption (biut a noticeable increase in grip). I took the car up to Port Macquarie on fresh RE001 and even managed to achieve <8 on fuel consumption (based on the trip computer). I run the tyres on 38psi all round.

I was considering going up in width to that size but I was more concerned about the tires looking overly fat on the rims. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of what they look like on your car would you?

When I changed to the Adrenalin, I could swear the tire looked much larger than the Michelin Energy MXV8 that I had on before hand. Either way, these tires served me well. I've nearly worn them out (1mm from treadwear indicator) and I've only travelled 20,000km on them (bearing in mind that the last 3,800km was spent on a drive to and from Melbourne). If you get these tires, you just have to restrain yourself from pushing the limits of your car all the time otherwise you'll wear them out like I did. I miss the day when they were new and looked like this:

What does that tell you Daryl?? ITS TIME to change your RIMS and TYRES... 20" .....LOWERED... hahaha

Adrenalins are great tyres.

Or you can have a go at GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymetrical. I'm using them and have never been happier!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was considering going up in width to that size but I was more concerned about the tires looking overly fat on the rims. You wouldn't happen to have a picture of what they look like on your car would you?

Nah, they actually look really good. Infact Bridgestone recommends the 225 sit on a 7 inch Rim..

Here's an example on my other car of a 225 on a 7" rim (albeit an R888 *CRAP TYRE*!! - but should be about right)

I think it looks good

3554016620_5f10b2514e_o.jpg

3553205455_54eece21cb_o.jpg

Nah, they actually look really good. Infact Bridgestone recommends the 225 sit on a 7 inch Rim..

Here's an example on my other car of a 225 on a 7" rim (albeit an R888 *CRAP TYRE*!! - but should be about right)

I think it looks good

Thanks mate. They do look kind of nice (not quite like Hoosier's on old school muscle, but still nice), so I think next time I get a set (in like the next few weeks or so) I'll speak to the guys at Bridgestone and see what they say.

I recommend Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001s. Insane levels of grip, and low levels of tyre noise.

I keep hearing lots of good things about these and have never tried them. Is the wear rate any good on them? What sort of mileage were you getting before they needed replacing?

I keep hearing lots of good things about these and have never tried them. Is the wear rate any good on them? What sort of mileage were you getting before they needed replacing?

Elgin didn't have his TRD long enough. The Adrenalin's were his second set of tires and prior to that he had the Dunlops.

As I said above:

When I changed to the Adrenalin, I could swear the tire looked much larger than the Michelin Energy MXV8 that I had on before hand. Either way, these tires served me well. I've nearly worn them out (1mm from treadwear indicator) and I've only travelled 20,000km on them (bearing in mind that the last 3,800km was spent on a drive to and from Melbourne). If you get these tires, you just have to restrain yourself from pushing the limits of your car all the time otherwise you'll wear them out like I did. I expect under normal everyday driving conditions that these tires will last more than 35,000km.

Let's just say my style of driving is something way out of the ordinary. Roundabouts became my good friend once I got the Adrenalin's.

Stumble upon this on ebay after i got my rims and tyres.. DAMN.. those interested in Bridgestone Potenza Tyres and have 18" or 19" wheels might want to check this out.. the prices are rather attractive ($1,159 for 18", $$1,219 for 19" and they do sell single and pair as well) and they are from Melbourne..

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRIDGESTONE-POTENZA...93%3A1|294%3A50

Stumble upon this on ebay after i got my rims and tyres.. DAMN.. those interested in Bridgestone Potenza Tyres and have 18" or 19" wheels might want to check this out.. the prices are rather attractive ($1,159 for 18", $$1,219 for 19" and they do sell single and pair as well) and they are from Melbourne..

On a side note, those are not the Potenza Adrenalin RE001's that we are discussing here. Those ones you linked to are the RE050A.

On a side note, those are not the Potenza Adrenalin RE001's that we are discussing here. Those ones you linked to are the RE050A.

ooo.. so will these RE050A be any good??

Everyone has different opinions. I personally haven't seen what they can do so I can't comment. The tread pattern on the Adrenalin's look a little more promising, but like I said, I can't really judge that.

I did come across one review though, being in mind it is a personal opinion:

Foolish as it may be, I have fitted 4 RE001 Adrenalines to the Liberty. This is my third complete set of new tyres, the last replacement set being RE050A's.

Reasons for the decision were

1. To try something different

2. To improve ride without losing large amounts of grip/handling

3. Cost - better wear and $243/corner vs $348/corner for RE050A's

First impressions after 200km

NVH - major improvement, the tyres cause much less buzz/hum/vibration over co**** chip, they don't howl on smoooth hotmix high speed corners, and they cushion cement joins and broken pavement better too. As regards noise and vibration, they are more refined *with* LCA bushes and Konis than the car was stock on RE050A's.

Ride - Konis on full soft; verging on plush. Konis on +1R/+0.625F; terrific match - the tyres are no longer fighting with the chassis, in this regard a significantly better match. Secondary ride is clearly superior.

Dry handling - at first, as always with new tyres, a worry, but a spirited drive through RNP keeping corner entry speeds up to usual levels gave no nasty surprises. Drive smoothly on smooth surfaces and they hang on ostensibly as well. Provoke them and you can feel some squirming lateral compliance that is absent on RE050A's - softer sidewalls, deeper tread blocks, or just less grip from the rubber? Not sure. However, they maintain a nice broad spread of progression at the limit, very much like their sisters. They don't communicate as perfectly as the RE050A's either. You can still feel what they are up to, but they almost feel like a 50 series by comparison (as is the ride). As for balance, I find turn-in is just as good - and it is the rear that gives up a little sooner than on the RE050A's. Maybe I can add couple more psi, or more front damping.

The big surprise is the quality of rough road grip. They don't patter and skip like the RE050A's did, so they are if anything better over poor surfaces. Certainly more relaxing, communicating what is needed.

Wet handling - plenty of opportunity to test this. I generally don't push in the wet anyway, so outright wet grip is less of a priority than overall feel and balance. I'm impressed - I would say there was little or no difference, aside from slightly less communication - between them.

Everyone has different opinions. I personally haven't seen what they can do so I can't comment. The tread pattern on the Adrenalin's look a little more promising, but like I said, I can't really judge that.

I did come across one review though, being in mind it is a personal opinion:

Foolish as it may be, I have fitted 4 RE001 Adrenalines to the Liberty. This is my third complete set of new tyres, the last replacement set being RE050A's.

Reasons for the decision were

1. To try something different

2. To improve ride without losing large amounts of grip/handling

3. Cost - better wear and $243/corner vs $348/corner for RE050A's

First impressions after 200km

NVH - major improvement, the tyres cause much less buzz/hum/vibration over co**** chip, they don't howl on smoooth hotmix high speed corners, and they cushion cement joins and broken pavement better too. As regards noise and vibration, they are more refined *with* LCA bushes and Konis than the car was stock on RE050A's.

Ride - Konis on full soft; verging on plush. Konis on +1R/+0.625F; terrific match - the tyres are no longer fighting with the chassis, in this regard a significantly better match. Secondary ride is clearly superior.

Dry handling - at first, as always with new tyres, a worry, but a spirited drive through RNP keeping corner entry speeds up to usual levels gave no nasty surprises. Drive smoothly on smooth surfaces and they hang on ostensibly as well. Provoke them and you can feel some squirming lateral compliance that is absent on RE050A's - softer sidewalls, deeper tread blocks, or just less grip from the rubber? Not sure. However, they maintain a nice broad spread of progression at the limit, very much like their sisters. They don't communicate as perfectly as the RE050A's either. You can still feel what they are up to, but they almost feel like a 50 series by comparison (as is the ride). As for balance, I find turn-in is just as good - and it is the rear that gives up a little sooner than on the RE050A's. Maybe I can add couple more psi, or more front damping.

The big surprise is the quality of rough road grip. They don't patter and skip like the RE050A's did, so they are if anything better over poor surfaces. Certainly more relaxing, communicating what is needed.

Wet handling - plenty of opportunity to test this. I generally don't push in the wet anyway, so outright wet grip is less of a priority than overall feel and balance. I'm impressed - I would say there was little or no difference, aside from slightly less communication - between them.

Hmm seems like the RE001 is cheaper and better than RE050A, good value for money then...