Camry Altise 2004 (september) DVD install

czaja74

I was wondered if someone could help me with installation of the new unit in my car. I'm quite handy with tools but never done anything like that before. I have Camry Altise 2004 and I would like to install THIS unit in my car.

I need instructions how to:

- remove an exisiting unit

- prepare and install a new unit (do I need any adapters or kits)

- the best place to put gps receiver (out of sight without losing signal strenght) and how to do it

I hope someone will be able to help me. I'm on the budged so I would like to do it myself. However if it proves difficult I would welcome reccomendations for the good honest installer or pay someone to do it. I'm in Mill Park but I can drive if not too far.

This is what it looks like at the moment

4874682.jpg

another mill park toacu member! :P

i'm no guru with audio systems, but removing the trim is easy

get a small wide-headed screwdriver and wrap the tip of it in electrical tape. between the fan controls and the main fascia, carefully wedge the tip of the screwdriver on the far left and right-hand sides, as this is where the clips are located. once that is off, unplug the electrical connectors for the clock/trip computer and the trip computer buttons. you can then freely remove the fascia, and access the bolts holding the stereo in (10mm bolts)

i know you may need special aftermarket connectors in order to use the existing toyota wiring harness with the new headunit without having to strip wires, make new connectors, etc. that's all i can help with from here

good luck!

Edited by lateralus

So... you're on a budget... but you bought this thing? Good luck!

Looks like the connectors are going to be interesting... you might need some thin flat blade connectors to be inserted into the original harness to connect the speakers to it... aerial I guess, constant power & acc power... could be an interesting job.

I don't think you'll find someone who can tell you each and every single step on how to install one of these... they always have their own manual.

I know it’s not the same, but the corolla has basically the same HU, so after removing the facia like laterals said, this corolla DIY should help.

I think I have seen when people change this HU out with a standard double din, it leaves a small gap each side, as it is extra wide I believe. So you may need to get some little side facia things, if that makes sense. Have a search around the forum; even the corolla stuff should be applicable.

I like that GPS unit, I would like to put something like that in my Camry one day.

It wasnt that expensive. Auctioned and got it for $480. Sold my TomTom to cover the cost. Ah well it looks like I need a proffesional to have it installed. Can anyone reccomend someone.

Edited by czaja74

Just a quick update. I had unit installed in my car. It des pretty good job. The only thing is that I can hear (well how to say it?) a feedback from the engine through a speakers while I drive. It is not much but really annoying. It sounds like fan speeds up with engine rave. I’m not sure why it does it. It was too late when I noticed it and I could go back and ask installer.

I’ll take photo tomorrow.

I've heard of this problem before... but we found that a bearing in the Alternator went...

Considering this happened just after you got the HU installed, it could be a connection issue and maybe passing some kind of current/feedback from the Alternator? Not too sure...

You need a ground loop isolator. Classic interference caused by bad grouds, rca cables with powercables, faulty/cheap h/u internals. If it is caused by the latter, then nothing will really help it. This is a bandaid approach, it doesnt fix the problem, just covers it up for you.

Edited by STYLSH

I talked to installer (at Autobarn) and he blamed the DVD unit. I will get a second opinion from other installer. Can anyone reccomend someone. I hope it can be fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to see a second installer and it he find out that unit wasnt properly earthed. 10 min and all was good. However I took it out and installed smaller Pioneer unit that blended in my dashboard perfectly.