Head Unit / Console Removal

Azza

I have noticed many occasions of people wanting instructions on how to remove the console in their Sportivo's/Corolla's for installing of new Head Units, so I have taken some shots of how to do it....

Step 1:

Look At Console (this takes at least one beer :))

post-421-1109630128_thumb.jpg

Step 2:

Look At Ashtray

post-421-1109630255_thumb.jpg

Step 3:

Grasp Ashtray

post-421-1109630358_thumb.jpg

Step 4:

Remove Ashtray

post-421-1109630687_thumb.jpg

Step 5:

Grap insert around Gear Stick

post-421-1109630960_thumb.jpg

Step 6:

Remove this panel by lifting up the reaer of it (closest to the cupholders) and tilt forward. Then remove the front clip section of this panel.

post-421-1109631626_thumb.jpg

Step 7:

Grasp Air-Con vents on either side of the head unit. Pull the whole surrounding vent out.

NB: The first time you do this, it may be a little tight so be gentle, but use gentle force.

post-421-1109631891_thumb.jpg

post-421-1109632043_thumb.jpg

Step 8:

Assess where your at and have another stubby. (B)

post-421-1109632122_thumb.jpg

Step 9:

Remove centre console. To do this, iopen the little trap door and hold with one hand, and lever out. Use your other hand to assist with the removal of the top of this console panel.

post-421-1109632184_thumb.jpg

post-421-1109632253_thumb.jpg

Step 10:

If required, unplug the three plugs from behind this panel. They are 3 separate sized plugs so you can't stuff up the removal and reconnection.

NB: When unplugging these plugs, you will be resetting any clock and Climate Control settings.

post-421-1109632332_thumb.jpg

Step 11:

Locate the four screws underneath the Head Unit which hold it in place. There should be 4 holding the bracket in place. Be careful with when removing these screws, cause they can (and will) fall down the cracks into the ether and are a mongrel to find and retrieve.

The Head Unit is actually attached to the bracket and you will need to remove this bracket first.

post-421-1109632409_thumb.jpg

Step 12:

Using a 10mm socket, remove these four screws. When removed, pull the Head Unit forward.

When the Head Unit is forward, there are three plugs un the rear of it as well as the aerial connection. Remove these plugs and remove the head unit.

NB: Removal of these plugs will reset all radio presets. When you reconnect these plugs, you will hear the CD changer going nuts re-assessing the discs that are loaded in it (if you are re-installing the same Head Unit).

post-421-1109633324_thumb.jpg

Step 13:

When re-installing this bracket, a trick I use on the socket to keep the screws in place, is to place a small square of electrical tape over the end of the screw.

post-421-1109633449_thumb.jpg

post-421-1109633515_thumb.jpg

Step 14:

Re-install all panels in the reverse order to when you removed them.

NB: When reinstalling the airvents around the Head Unit, there are a couple of little clips that are on the vent itself as well as the Head Unit Bracket. You'll need to make sure that you install these correctly, otherwise the dash will look like it has been propped up.

The picture is not too clear, but I have tried to show how to do it. The clip on the vent needs to go UNDER the clip on the bracket.

post-421-1109633669_thumb.jpg

Hope all goes well.

Cheers

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...
I have noticed many occasions of people wanting instructions on how to remove the console in their Sportivo's/Corolla's for installing of new Head Units, so I have taken some shots of how to do it....

Step 1:

Look At Console (this takes at least one beer :))

post-421-1109630128_thumb.jpg

Step 2:

Look At Ashtray

post-421-1109630255_thumb.jpg

Step 3:

Grasp Ashtray

post-421-1109630358_thumb.jpg

Step 4:

Remove Ashtray

post-421-1109630687_thumb.jpg

Step 5:

Grap insert around Gear Stick

post-421-1109630960_thumb.jpg

Step 6:

Remove this panel by lifting up the reaer of it (closest to the cupholders) and tilt forward.  Then remove the front clip section of this panel.

post-421-1109631626_thumb.jpg

Step 7:

Grasp Air-Con vents on either side of the head unit.  Pull the whole surrounding vent out. 

NB:  The first time you do this, it may be a little tight so be gentle, but use gentle force.

post-421-1109631891_thumb.jpg

post-421-1109632043_thumb.jpg

Step 8:

Assess where your at and have another stubby. (B)

post-421-1109632122_thumb.jpg

Step 9:

Remove centre console.  To do this, iopen the little trap door and hold with one hand, and lever out.  Use your other hand to assist with the removal of the top of this console panel.

post-421-1109632184_thumb.jpg

post-421-1109632253_thumb.jpg

Step 10:

If required, unplug the three plugs from behind this panel.  They are 3 separate sized plugs so you can't stuff up the removal and reconnection.

NB: When unplugging these plugs, you will be resetting any clock and Climate Control settings.

post-421-1109632332_thumb.jpg

Step 11:

Locate the four screws underneath the Head Unit which hold it in place.  There should be 4 holding the bracket in place.  Be careful with when removing these screws, cause they can (and will) fall down the cracks into the ether and are a mongrel to find and retrieve.

The Head Unit is actually attached to the bracket and you will need to remove this bracket first.

post-421-1109632409_thumb.jpg

Step 12:

Using a 10mm socket, remove these four screws.  When removed, pull the Head Unit forward. 

When the Head Unit is forward, there are three plugs un the rear of it as well as the aerial connection.  Remove these plugs and remove the head unit.

NB:  Removal of these plugs will reset all radio presets.  When you reconnect these plugs, you will hear the CD changer going nuts re-assessing the discs that are loaded in it (if you are re-installing the same Head Unit).

post-421-1109633324_thumb.jpg

Step 13:

When re-installing this bracket, a trick I use on the socket to keep the screws in place, is to place a small square of electrical tape over the end of the screw.

post-421-1109633449_thumb.jpg

post-421-1109633515_thumb.jpg

Step 14:

Re-install all panels in the reverse order to when you removed them.

NB:  When reinstalling the airvents around the Head Unit, there are a couple of little clips that are on the vent itself as well as the Head Unit Bracket.  You'll need to make sure that you install these correctly, otherwise the dash will look like it has been propped up.

The picture is not too clear, but I have tried to show how to do it.  The clip on the vent needs to go UNDER the clip on the bracket.

post-421-1109633669_thumb.jpg

Hope all goes well.

Cheers

Aaron

I luv the fact that this site exsists ... you my friend ... are also a star !! B)

• 1 year later...

do i need to do all those steps if i just wanna replace the deck?

Or can I just remove the aircon vents and rip out the deck (im looking to replace my stock CD player deck with the stock 6cd Sportivo mp3 cd deck).

Great work Arron!!!! :P

been meaning to install my deck, i got as far and removing the vents, didnt have the balls to go any further incase i cracked/broke anything else...

but after reading your ste by step instructions i feel more confident. thanks very much!!

p.s.

"Be careful with when removing these screws, cause they can (and will) fall down the cracks into the ether and are a mongrel to find and retrieve."

how many beers did it take to get those lil suckers out! ! :lol::lol: :P :P :P

im sure it didnt happen!

cheers

mario

do i need to do all those steps if i just wanna replace the deck?

Or can I just remove the aircon vents and rip out the deck (im looking to replace my stock CD player deck with the stock 6cd Sportivo mp3 cd deck).

you have to go through all the steps to replace your headunit

been meaning to install my deck, i got as far and removing the vents, didnt have the balls to go any further incase i cracked/broke anything else...

but after reading your ste by step instructions i feel more confident. thanks very much!!

Hey Mario,

When are you changing your deck? Maybe you can help me out with changing the deck too.

Just waiting on 76ACC to change his deck across and ill be buying his stock mp3 deck.

Hey Northy, is the deck straight plug and play with the cable connections if its changing from one stock console to another? And seeing my car is auto, is there a different way to pry open the gear box?

Hey Mario,

When are you changing your deck? Maybe you can help me out with changing the deck too.

Just waiting on 76ACC to change his deck across and ill be buying his stock mp3 deck.

Hey Northy, is the deck straight plug and play with the cable connections if its changing from one stock console to another? And seeing my car is auto, is there a different way to pry open the gear box?

the stock units both have the same plugs as i put a stock sportivo deck in my old 1zz, the auto box cover should come off in the same way mate.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know in manual 1ZZ's it is the same (only different knobs on the climate control)

Auto's will prolly have a different console section around the shifter, although I have never looked to pull one away...

PM BigBum, I think his 1ZZ is auto....

i never grasp mine from the back (and im constantly removing mine)...instead i remove the ashtray, and then grasp the shifter surround by the front, sticking my fingers in frmo where the ashtray was and lifting...

it comes out very easily for me..

I have an auto ascent sedan, the console looks a bit different to your's. I can't seem to grasp the bit right under the shifter. Is it a different process for standard corollas?

i pulled out the coin/cigarette tray first then i was able to get my fingers around the plastic where the shifter was and pulled it out from there.

• 6 months later...

Gday Aaron,

I'd like to first thank you for your guide, just by having a quick read of it i've been able to fit my new unit in about 20 minutes.

Just one point i'd like to add about your comment on the air vent surround.

I found that on my sportivo, the 'male' metal tab on the stereo mount actual slides 'into' the plastic 'female' tab on the air vent surround. You've mentioned that for your surround to fit 'best' you've had to put the plastic tab underneath the metal tab.

Probably much of a muchness, i also found that these metal tabs on the stereo mount are fairly flexible, i bent mine back a tiny bit to get the plastic air vent surround to fit correctly.

Thanks again,

Snippy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This week I'll be doing the same as Azza, but Im gonna do it on the new 07 Corolla just in case someone else out there wants to know, so when me and my Boss are installing it I'll take plenty of happy snaps for yas, and hopefully someone will find it helpful.

P.S This will also include a useful adapter that will make a single din CD player + single din storage pocket fit into the existing mould around the factory headunit.

The Hammer

post-4631-1189255983_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Hammer

This week I'll be doing the same as Azza, but Im gonna do it on the new 07 Corolla just in case someone else out there wants to know, so when me and my Boss are installing it I'll take plenty of happy snaps for yas, and hopefully someone will find it helpful.

P.S This will also include a useful adapter that will make a single din CD player + single din storage pocket fit into the existing mould around the factory headunit.

The Hammer

Please do and start a new thread for it too. It will definitely come in handy in the future :)

Yeah thats what I hope to acheive, and Im guessing that people will find it useful as I believe from Wheels Magazine the new Corolla is beating Comodores in sales, so Im guessing some people will wont to change their head units

The Hammer

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys, (Toyota Corolla 2006, Facelift)

first time poster, long time reader.

I have followed all instructions and everything has been spot on, only trouble i am having is with the wiring. I am connecting a single DIN SONY head unit. I have connected the Red to Red, Yellow to Yellow and Black to Black and the Radio antenna as well but cannot get it to power on.

does anyone know what the White wire is from the stock Corolla 2006 Head unit? I assume it is the dimmer/dash lights connector. i thought this may affect it but it shouldnt. I have tried everything and cant get any life out of it. Do i need to connect speakers for it to power on?

i have installed aftermarket head units before and usually you only need, Power(yellow), Accessories(Red), Black(Ground) and Radio Antenna for it to work.

first time i have had this problem. I have checked all fuses (those tiny annoying ones) and none are blown.

Any help would be much appreciated. I can post pics if it makes it easier. Maybe someone could tell me what each colour wire means on the toyota side?

PS. Can i also mention if you are looking for a dash fascia kit for a 2006 corolla DO NOT get the following:

Toyota Corolla Multikit Facia 2003-2008

Product Code: FP998204

It does not fit, i will need a Dremel and patience to get this thing to fit.

This is the link to the one i bought. it must be for the US model corollas cause it certainly doesnt fit mine.

Corolla 2006 Dash Fascia Kit - WRONG ONE for AUSSIES

Cheers

rolla2006

• 1 month later...
i add that with 1zz's without climate control you pull the center dial/switch out and there is a single screw behind it. undo that then you can continue.

I'm having issues getting center console out. (03 `Levin). Everything else loose / removed but center console (A/C, clock, etc) refuses to budge, bottom and top pop out but center suggests held back. ...now .you mention a screw behind the center dial ? meaning the center A/C dial ? cause i cannot for the life of me get even that off!!! hints or suggestions ? thanks in advance....

i add that with 1zz's without climate control you pull the center dial/switch out and there is a single screw behind it. undo that then you can continue.

I'm having issues getting center console out. (03 `Levin). Everything else loose / removed but center console (A/C, clock, etc) refuses to budge, bottom and top pop out but center suggests held back. ...now .you mention a screw behind the center dial ? meaning the center A/C dial ? cause i cannot for the life of me get even that off!!! hints or suggestions ? thanks in advance....

that centre dial (controls fan speed) should easily come out by pulling it.

that centre dial (controls fan speed) should easily come out by pulling it.

Sweet, read your post last night ! Tried as soon as got in car 5 hours later ! Man that dial was a firm fit (nod to Toyota build quality etc ;) ). But gave it a firm direct tug and it came off exposing the screw !

If Ok, when I do my CD player swap to DVD player and screen i'll take a photo of the exposed screw for 1ZZ referance if deemed helpful/suitable.

Thanks again dudes.