NSW number plates..New styles

Hi all, ive had my premium plates almost 10 years now and had them made pre annual fee,used to be a one off payment and thats it.. Recently i contacted RTA to get them remade silver on black to blend in with my front end,and that is $30 plus $100 annual fee.Told them its unfair seeing as the plate already exists and just want it remade,they pretty much said sorry but thats how it is. So anyway today i went to pay my rego and asked the guy at the counter the same question and he told me wait till around 8th April and its changing.I can remake them to whatever colour available and pay $220ish and thats it,no annual fee..Better that than $100 a year on top i think.. So i hope he is right.Not sure what other changes if any are coming..... biggrin.gif

Edited by juvenile

are you for real? i just got my rego papers today. their charging me 90 a yr on my personal gold on black plates!! does that mean its a once off fee now?? rego's due end of apirl!

are you for real? i just got my rego papers today. their charging me 90 a yr on my personal gold on black plates!! does that mean its a once off fee now?? rego's due end of apirl!

I dont think so cos when they introduced those plates in black,silver,blue,red etc and you wanted your own content, they had an annual fee of $90 and more if you didnt use a current sequence.. Where as back when i got them they had no fees for your own content as long as it was used in a standard sequence such as AAA55A or AA 5555 etc.. Iam just lucky i got them back then,but like i said iam not sure what changes are coming yet..Hopefully good ones cos NSW motorists get taken for a ride for pretty much everything..

like mentioned by someone else on this forum, we're paying a ridiculous amount of money per year just to own two pieces of metal that we hardly ever see since we're in the car.

like mentioned by someone else on this forum, we're paying a ridiculous amount of money per year just to own two pieces of metal that we hardly ever see since we're in the car.

We dont even own them,RTA still own them.All we own is the right to display them.

exactly, theyre making so much money off car enthusiasts who just want to make their car unique/stand out. some prices they have on the site are ridiculous where it ranges from 90 dollars anually to 500+ annually.

i have contemplated for a very long while whether i should remake my plates into the silver on black, but it comes with a 100 dollar annual fee. why pay annually when the content isnt customised ??

they should take the annual fee off most plates but even if they did their prices are still crazy and we pay more here in sydneyt hen other other state.

we bought a new car ( it's a secret btw :D hehe) pick it up tomorrow.......rta charging me $50 to place them on hold (which is the one year storage fee) + i have to pay an additional annual fee of $93 on top of the freaking $50 just for them to hold them for 1 day!!!! mind you i already paid for this years annual fee in advance on rego - august last year !!!

sorry had to vent....it's crazy 1 day and none of the one year i will pay in advance i will get back they keep it all even once it's on the new car.......then i still have to pay $18 for them to reprint the damn sticker with the new plate number on it!!! geeze!! money money money thats all they want......and they say on their website all revenue from plates goes back into our roads ...........then why do we have the worse roads in sydney compared to all the other states!!!! oh and did i mention the transfer cost to get the new car into our name is $1239 ouch!!!!

end vent.

I got caught out a few years back I had a set of plates on the once of fee arrangement I had sold my car so put them into storage at $50 per year for one year and then got a company car which I couldn't transfer the plates to so I did the sums it would be 3 years before I would be able to use the plates again so I thought 3 years at 50 per year equals 150 which from memory at the time was more expensive than the one off fee so I let them expire and planned to get new ones when I got a new car, but low an behold they decide to bring in an annual fee

I doubt they would dump the annual fee for personalised number plates, there making too much money from it theres no reason to dump it.

I doubt they would dump the annual fee for personalised number plates, there making too much money from it theres no reason to dump it.

its just not the rta, any business will rarely let go of a big revenue maker, i think the whole cost of living now is so high its shocking every one is out to get your hard urned, if u look at wages they havent changed that much since 1980 yet the cost of living has gone 3, 4 times over

Had a quick look at RTA website and changes coming April 8th.. Not sure what changes yet in fees but introducing a heap of new colours, including pink for the Mcgrath foundation.

its just not the rta, any business will rarely let go of a big revenue maker, i think the whole cost of living now is so high its shocking every one is out to get your hard urned, if u look at wages they havent changed that much since 1980 yet the cost of living has gone 3, 4 times over

Wrong - go to the ABS; from 2005-2007, the Wage Price Index actually increased more than the Consumer Price Index.

Back on topic - that's why I get the standard black on white plates... but for a one off fee (I think it was 90 bucks??) I got them in the slim format.

Well that didn't go as planned.Because i dont have an annual fee i can remake my plates with a one off remake fee which i was hoping for, BUT, i can have any new colour for $220,but the one i want which is silver on black will be $400 one off :angry::angry::angry:

I'm a tad confused..

The new RTA MyPlates website: www.myplates.com.au, says something like:

"If you pay an Annual Fee on your current content" to restyle you pay a one-off $--- fee."

However in the older MyPlates website when I go to restyle they're charging the new remake fee + the previous annual fee..

Is the older website not updated properly yet, or is it meant to be like that?

Say for e.g.

My current plate is a white bordered plate (was $30 one-off and $90 annual), according to the new site if I restyle it in a premium type (premium black with white), says a one-off $200 restyle fee (I'm assuming that means it's just $200 with no more annual fee).

But seeing the older RTA MyPlates site to remake my plate, it says $200 one-off and $90 annual..

Edited by KEN33F

I'm a tad confused..

The new RTA MyPlates website: www.myplates.com.au, says something like:

"If you pay an Annual Fee on your current content" to restyle you pay a one-off $--- fee."

However in the older MyPlates website when I go to restyle they're charging the new remake fee + the previous annual fee..

Is the older website not updated properly yet, or is it meant to be like that?

Say for e.g.

My current plate is a white bordered plate (was $30 one-off and $90 annual), according to the new site if I restyle it in a premium type (premium black with white), says a one-off $200 restyle fee (I'm assuming that means it's just $200 with no more annual fee).

But seeing the older RTA MyPlates site to remake my plate, it says $200 one-off and $90 annual..

Nothing wrong with that, the one-off fee is to cover the making of the plate itself. The annual fee refers to the content. Since you are keeping the same content, you will keep the same annual fee ($90), which is what the site says.

Why should the annual fee go away when you change the style? It's like leasing a car, but halfway through you decide to change to an equivalent model from a different brand. You might pay a one-off "transfer" fee, but you'll continue to pay the lease payments as usual from then on.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Just gave them a call to confirm the website,and for me its $400 one off payment cos metallic plates(black) cost more for some reason..

Still deciding :help:

Wrong - go to the ABS; from 2005-2007, the Wage Price Index actually increased more than the Consumer Price Index.

Back on topic - that's why I get the standard black on white plates... but for a one off fee (I think it was 90 bucks??) I got them in the slim format.

your talking about a peroid of 2years and possiblly a couple percent increase, which would make little inpact overall. im talking more about in genarel the past 20 odd years.

quick eg wage of a construction worker in 1980 - $850 - 2009 -$1100

price of bread in 1980 -60c - 2009 - $2.50

price of a brand new VB commodore SL/E in 1980 - $10500 - price of a brand new ve commodore SS 2009 - $47000+

price of house in inner west sydney 1980 - $70000 - 2009 - $550000+