presara with aftermarket GPS

rui

got my brand new presara last friday..yay :toast:

the car is very nice, 1 thing really bothers me is that the factory GPS unit SUCKS!!!

the so called DVD sat nav doesnt even play dvd video, no AUX input=no ipod and other mp3 players, even though the head unit does play mp3 files, i just cant be bothered to download all my mp3s to my PC then burn into a cd...

iam thinking about getting a aftermarket gps unit.

now the question is, will it compatible with my factory reverse camera? where does the AUX in and ipod connection cable going to(stick out of the wooden dash?), steering wheel remote compatible? and sound quality compare to OEM unit.

thank you

If you get an aftermarket head unit which has composite video-in (the yellow RCA socket, preferably with a reversing camera mode), your stock reversing camera can be wired into it. As for maintaining steering wheel controls, most units that are made to be en exact OEM looking replacement (such as the Auspack unit mentioned here) will have the connections so that you may keep your steering wheel controls. Otherwise, if you choose to get an alternative aftermarket double DIN head unit, the only one that has been reported here to work with the steering wheel controls is the Eclipse AVN6000.

For the aux-in and iPod cables, you can easily route them to where ever you want. I chose to run mine into the glove box where it is out of the way.

Sound quality wise, the Auspack unit sounds just about equal to the stock unit and I'm sure other OEM looking replacements will be the same. Getting a double DIN unit such as the Eclipse however would more than likely give you a better sound quality than stock, especially when paired with some new speakers.

If you get an aftermarket head unit which has composite video-in (the yellow RCA socket, preferably with a reversing camera mode), your stock reversing camera can be wired into it. As for maintaining steering wheel controls, most units that are made to be en exact OEM looking replacement (such as the Auspack unit mentioned here) will have the connections so that you may keep your steering wheel controls. Otherwise, if you choose to get an alternative aftermarket double DIN head unit, the only one that has been reported here to work with the steering wheel controls is the Eclipse AVN6000.

For the aux-in and iPod cables, you can easily route them to where ever you want. I chose to run mine into the glove box where it is out of the way.

Sound quality wise, the Auspack unit sounds just about equal to the stock unit and I'm sure other OEM looking replacements will be the same. Getting a double DIN unit such as the Eclipse however would more than likely give you a better sound quality than stock, especially when paired with some new speakers.

thank you, i'll have a look