Steering Knocking Sound (2008 Rav4 CV Auto)

Azza

I have a 01/08 Rav4 CV Auto, and done around 28,000kms and the past few weeks have started to notice a knocking sound on left turns.

To date, the sound only appears when making a left.

Not regular, rather often.

Can be felt through the steering wheel as well as heard audibly.

Does not matter how much of a turn is being made.

I am normally pretty good at finding these problems, but have not come up with anything yet. Will be taking it in to Toyota one day next week after Easter, just thought I would ask if anyone could think of anything else to look for...

I'm no mechanic but have had enough mechanically impaired vehicles to know that sound.

Generally that noise is the CV joints, especially as the Ravs run as front wheel drives.

The mechanics should find that issue pretty quickly and generally its not a very time consuming exercise to replace as once its up on the stands access is easy to replace them.

You shouldn't be out of pocket too severely for its repair.

• 5 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
This is a known problem with the "Steering Intermediate Shaft" in 2006-2008 models and a TSB has been issued by Toyota in the USA:

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2008/T-SB-0318-08.pdf

got our 06 cruise L a month ago and have picked up on this noise... wonder if toyota still cover it as its just out of warranty

• 2 years later...

Have just joined up due to this very problem! Have a 2007 Rav 4 Cruiser bought new and driven primarily by my wife in the suburbs and a yearly trip down the cost. Never been off road. At 38,000 noticed the knocking noise in the steering, either direction. Got on the net and found that TSB referred to - issued February 8 2008 - which starts "some customers may hear a clunk, pop or knock type noise when turning the steering wheel left or right etc etc" Goes on to state that a new No.1 Steering Intermediate Shaft has been prepared and then how to change same. No recall as it is considered nuisance value and not a safety issue!!! Couldn't get an appointment with the local dealer for a week or so - so I took it to a suspension steering place (who I trust more anyway) and they confirmed the diagnosis! It is now booked in to be replaced - $480. Of course I am well out of warranty but as Mr. Toyota knew about this problem in 2008 it would have been nice to let people know. I had a similiar issue with the steering in my old International Scout but that was after about 250,000 kms of off road/towing and generally much harder k's. So much for the vaunted Toyoya build quality!!!! If anyone wants that TSB I have a hard copy that I printed out from the UK Rav owners Club site - or with instructions from my daughter I can put it onto this site. Regards Scoutoz

• 4 years later...

Hi all, Tim here joining to get some advice on clunking noise from my car steering (I think).  It's a 2006 Rav4 cruiser L that has been with me since new.....it's been doing well until 2 months ago when I started to hear intermittent minor clunking noise from below the front of the car.  The noise started to get worst in the last 2 weeks and I brought it for an inspection at Pedders last week...results indicated front shocks are soft (recommended to replace) and steering gear left hand side joint worn.  The other items ie springs, strut mounting plate, lower ball joints, lower control arm & inner bushes, outer tie rod ends, sway bar & bushes, sway bar links, power steering line/belts/filter/oil, CV joints, engine mounts are all in good condition (passed).   I recorded the noise (attached) when the car was still while moving the steering wheel from left to right (from about 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock position back and forth) - sound was recorded just below the steering wheel - hopefully you can hear them. The noise seems to be related to the TSB on the issue with intermediate steering shaft mentioned in the posts above, but I was wondering how this is related to Pedders' finding of worn left hand side joint on the steering gear ?   Contacted a Toyota dealer this morning and informed them of Pedders' findings but was asked to come in for another inspection for $160....I was hoping to get the defect fixed once and for all as information from the websites suggested repetition of noise despite rectification work including replacing the whole rack / pinion.  Would I be looking for a intermediate shaft replacement or something else for the worn left hand side joint ?  Please help......Thanks, Tim 

New Recording 13.m4a