Camry cosmetic questions

Lisa M. Stewart

I own a 98 Camry LE, 4 cyl automatic and had a few questions regarding modifications. Basically they deal with the feasibility of installing the parts yourself. Overall, i would like to install a new aftermarket muffler, 17" wheels, lower it with new springs, and possibly a body kit. My questions are, can i install a universal muffler myself? For the wheels, what kind of measurements and offsets are the rims? And is it possible to install lowering springs and a body kit without taking it to a shop as to avoid the horrendous rate for shop costs? Any input would be great.

I'm sorry but I can't help you out with the sizes and offsets, but to answer your other questions; yes you can install all those by yourself, but it all comes down to the tools that you have. Most universal mufflers (if not made specifically for your car) will come with bare pipes at the back and no mounting brackets attached. You can attach all this though if you have a welder and can weld decently. However, if you require some modification of the pipework from the rear of the muffler to where it connects to the existing pipe work, you can't really do much yourself there unless you have access to a radius bender (mandrel bends are out of the question for most DIY).

Fitting the lowering springs is easy provided you can get your hands on a set of spring compressors. They are a pretty simple device and will get the job done for you. As for fitting the body kit, you can easily do that yourself if you have the tools to remove the existing trim (if required). As long as there are no alignment issues, you would be fine.

EDIT: Shame on you spambot. What a waste of my time.

Wtf about spam bots? Is this Lisa character a Bot??

After I posted my reply, then I noticed the link in the signature. There has been a few bots running loose around here with the same link/s in the signature. This new Lisa one appears to have better english now. Another giveaway with this one are the posts in different car threads that are similar.

I seem think this bot is copying posts from this forum, or one similar and posting them up. If you have a look at all the threads its started via the profile, you will see what I mean.

But then who knows. :wacko:

Edited by mbruce