Question for those who lowered their Aurion

DKzr6

Hi Guys,

I have a question for anyone who fitted lowered springs to their Aurion. I installed pedders springs on mine back in 2007. Shortly after, the front left shock started to make a knocking sound over sharp bumps on the road. I got toyota to replace the shock.

The knock has returned. I have been told that this is because the factory shock is not designed to run on a lowered spring. (does anyone else have this problem????)

I've asked about pedders shocks to fit the lowered springs... they don't have any. Did anyone manage to find a manufacturer who makes a lowered shock for the aurion?

Second issue i've noticed is that since i lowered the car i have a rubber squeak/creak when going over small bumps slowly (like driveways etc). It sounds like the spring in the pad/seat that it sits in. has anyone else experienced this?

I think i was one of the first/early people to lower an aurion, and maybe these noises are all long term side effects that may come up fo other people in the future.

I've take the car to my local Midas who checked and tightened everything, but still cant get rid of the noises. I don't want to replace the shock with another toyota shock if the same thing will happen.

Any fedback from anyone who has lowered their aurion would be great.

Hmm intrested and going to follow this thread.

also did they cut the bump stop rubber when lowered?

when you replaced the spring with lowered ones how many km did you do before noticed this noise?

Azza

Hmm intrested and going to follow this thread.

also did they cut the bump stop rubber when lowered?

when you replaced the spring with lowered ones how many km did you do before noticed this noise?

Azza

Both noises started with about a month about 2000km. I don't think they cut the bump stop rubber.

The creaky noise comes and goes with the weather. Happens more when its about to rain. Moisture content in the air must affect the rubber.

My TRD gets a squeak in the passenger front strut when the weather is wet like it is now, nothing to worry about.

KYB have a listing for the SX6 & ZR6. They are ok to use with lowered springs.

Bit of a worry if car shocks getting squeek shouldn't could be a common defect thats starting to surface on the cars

hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Azza

My TRD gets a squeak in the passenger front strut when the weather is wet like it is now, nothing to worry about.

KYB have a listing for the SX6 & ZR6. They are ok to use with lowered springs.

Bit of a worry if car shocks getting squeek shouldn't could be a common defect thats starting to surface on the cars

hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Azza

I didnt say the shock squeaked! I said the strut squeaked which is the whole assembly. It is caused by the water getting around the spring seat in wet weather, which allows the steel and rubber to make a squeaking sound. As I said nothing to worry about. Even DKzr6 mentioned his squeak was weather related.

My car is lowed been a few years now. Toyota just replaced my CV's and now i have this same noise i was thinking they didnt do somthing up but at the same time thinking its the shocks. Im looking and coilovers... Or ill just go a nice koni adj sport shocks.

It sounds like springs to me..

Have you tried bumpstop or something? to mae the springs fit tighter.

Don't count me in for this one cos I was just told from someone else.

My car is lowed been a few years now. Toyota just replaced my CV's and now i have this same noise i was thinking they didnt do somthing up but at the same time thinking its the shocks. Im looking and coilovers... Or ill just go a nice koni adj sport shocks.

hey man do you have this sound on full lock turning in 1st gear? i got that sound when i do that and when i take off like a nocking sound

would that be CV's

i bought my aurion with 4000km's on it as demo its now down 38,000km's and is ova a yr old, its down atleast 8000km's on hard gravel rds here in the nt in the wet season and dry season.

i havent had a problem at all with my lowered pedders springs mated with the standard shocks also fitted with the pedders caster eccentric bolts.

the only thing that does annoy me a bit about mine is it started out as 42mm lower than standard and is now 50mm lower and is a pain in the butt with speed humps and every other tiny bump id say atleast 80% of the time i drive it in shopping centre carparks it scraps maccas drive thru it scraps, and the front bar and large exhaust tips are looking worst for wear as well as the chassis rails.

as far as a creaking noise or squeak i have had none and have like i say driven it in both wet season and dry seasons.

all my shocks all round are still workin perfectly fine and atleast 2 times a fortnight have a large trailer or boat attached.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

New to the forum but I wanted to get your ideas on lowered suspension for my about to be delivered Aurion Touring. I know its not a ZR6 but with a few upgrades, could be close. I want my car to look good and handle really well but don't want to go over the top. Insurance is the big concern. It seems you guys have done the hard work already and you would probably be the best source for advice. I'm still not sure what will be the best option. Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

Hi Guys,

New to the forum but I wanted to get your ideas on lowered suspension for my about to be delivered Aurion Touring. I know its not a ZR6 but with a few upgrades, could be close. I want my car to look good and handle really well but don't want to go over the top. Insurance is the big concern. It seems you guys have done the hard work already and you would probably be the best source for advice. I'm still not sure what will be the best option. Any thoughts would really be appreciated.

Welcome mate,great to see another Aurion :D

check out Pedders & King springs there is heaps of info on this site about both and maybe ya can look at the front strut brace & rear sway bar from Ultra Racing and tyres will play a big part in the whole ride/comfort/noise set up. B)

Thanks for the welcome, Kill. Can't wait to get it. Yeah, I forgot to mention the large wheels and better tyres. They're on the wish-list too. Is yours lowered? Did you go for Pedders or Kings?

The questions you need to ask are:

- how much you are willing to give up on ride comfort and do you favour looks over handling

- how much you want to lower it

- how much are you willing to spend

In my opinion, by far the best and most simple handling mods you can do to your Aurion are the front strut brace and rear sway bar.

I forgot to mention the large wheels and better tyres

How large were you planning on going. I would suggest 19 inch maximum if you are after good handling. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. You can have good style and great performance, but it won't come cheap.

Thanks for the welcome, Kill. Can't wait to get it. Yeah, I forgot to mention the large wheels and better tyres. They're on the wish-list too. Is yours lowered? Did you go for Pedders or Kings?

yeah got Pedders lowered springs,i chose em because they sit a little higher on the rear than Kings and i've got a bit of audio weight in the boot so works for me ;)

Wheels are undecided at this stage though budgeted for. The aim is for 18's or 19's. Handling is the goal. Once she is delivered, I'll take it to a tyre shop shop and discuss my options on rims and tyres.

So Pedders or Kings and strut braces? I know of a pedders store close to where I am. Don't know where to get kings though. I'll do more research before I take delivery.

Worried about some of the comments about noises after lowering, though. Any advice?

Edited by AndreToy

Wheels are undecided at this stage though budgeted for. The aim is for 18's or 19's. Handling is the goal. Once she is delivered, I'll take it to a tyre shop shop and discuss my options on rims and tyres.

So Pedders or Kings and strut braces? I know of a pedders store close to where I am. Don't know where to get kings though. I'll do more research before I take delivery.

Worried about some of the comments about noises after lowering, though. Any advice?

19'' are prolly the go with the lowered springs (i got 20'' and i think they are one size to big but the look ohhh the look its killer) and the tyres ya choose will make a huge difference in comfort/noise.i just fitted the frt brace & rear sway with the camber kit and the rides has tidy itself up heaps,it is noticable.and if ya get 18''or 19'' try if can NOT to cheap out on ya rubber. B)

check out Tempe Tyres website they have a nice selection of rims and source ya own tyres in WA,i purchased my wheels from them and got my tyres in Melbourne worked out well.

19'' are prolly the go with the lowered springs (i got 20'' and i think they are one size to big but the look ohhh the look its killer) and the tyres ya choose will make a huge difference in comfort/noise.i just fitted the frt brace & rear sway with the camber kit and the rides has tidy itself up heaps,it is noticable.and if ya get 18''or 19'' try if can NOT to cheap out on ya rubber. B)

check out Tempe Tyres websilte they have a nice selection of rims and source ya own tyres in WA,i purchased my wheels from them and got my tyres in Melbourne worked out well.

Thanks for the wheel advice, Kill. Have looked at the wheels. Tyre choice is still up for consideration as far as brand, size etc. Got onto the Pedders website too to look at their springs. Saw their racing suspension there called the extreme. Anyone know about this suspension?

Andre?

WA suspension in Balcatta i think maybe (osborne park) supply and fit King springs. Got a quote from there a few weeks ago for my car and was about $600.00. they do a 35mm drop. I've got 18'' ROh wheels on mine and while still happy with them wish i'd gone for 19''s.

I will also be getting strut and sway bars shortly (once in stock) and if your interested we can share postage. I'm in dunsborough but travel to Perth regularly.

cheers, Nate

Andre?

WA suspension in Balcatta i think maybe (osborne park) supply and fit King springs. Got a quote from there a few weeks ago for my car and was about $600.00. they do a 35mm drop. I've got 18'' ROh wheels on mine and while still happy with them wish i'd gone for 19''s.

I will also be getting strut and sway bars shortly (once in stock) and if your interested we can share postage. I'm in dunsborough but travel to Perth regularly.

cheers, Nate

Thanks Nate. Still doing investigations and I've just found out that delivery of the car has been delayed for an additional week. If I decide on Kings (though it seems that everyone here likes Pedders) I'll check out WA Suspension.

Can anyone shed light light on the noise mentioned at the start of this thread. The reports about noise after lowering is my only concern. Any advice will really help. Thanks

Hey,

Took my car in to get looked at and had the sway bar links, and bushes replaced. This didn't really help much, (maybe a little), but the knock and the creak is still there.

Took the car back and it was determined that the shock is causing the knock, and the springs are causing the creak where they sit in the seats.

The repairer has been helpful in finding and offering solutions.

Car is going back to have some further repairs/modifications next week. Will let you know how it goes once its done.

Hey,

Took my car in to get looked at and had the sway bar links, and bushes replaced. This didn't really help much, (maybe a little), but the knock and the creak is still there.

Took the car back and it was determined that the shock is causing the knock, and the springs are causing the creak where they sit in the seats.

The repairer has been helpful in finding and offering solutions.

Car is going back to have some further repairs/modifications next week. Will let you know how it goes once its done.

Thanks DKzr6,

Feedback would be awesome. I want to get the lowering without any hassles and I now (thanks to the delivery delay) have about 4 weeks to decide.

Thanks for your help.

• 3 weeks later...

One more week to go and then I get her into the driveway. Can't wait. Has anyone got any more info on problems (Hello DKzr6.....I'm still waiting for your advice :D lol) or more advice on noises and stuff after lowering their Aurions?

Thanks for any assistance I get.

Edited by AndreToy

OK, so an update.

After replacing the links and bushes there was no improvement.

Pedders suggested i replace the shocks. Pedders shocks will be out around August. I didn't want to wait, and i also didn't want to pay for another Toyota shock.

I decided to contact pedders head office to enquire about availability of parts and what i could do to resolve my problem. In the end they offered me a solution which i was willing to try.

Pedders have a coilover setup which which was not yet test fitted for the Aurion. ( I assume it comes from the Camry). They offered to install the coil overs at a reduced price for the opportunity to test fit them to my car and help resolve my issues.

I figured why not. I took the car in and Terry at Pedders Campbelltown had everything fitted. He installed a set of Pedders Extreme XA adjustable coil overs front and rear and a set of adjustable camber plates. This allows adjustment for ride height, damping and camber.

The result.......

We'll what can i say WOW absolutely amazing. The ride quality and handling is outstanding. Its totally transformed the car.

The damping allows me to set the ride from soft (much softer than stock) to hard - really hard.

For everyday roads i couldn't live with the hardest setting - it would be great if Sydney roads were not so crap. The softest setting is great for everyday driving - Must be my old age setting in.

I currently have it set at 1/3 of the way up from the softest setting, its a good compromise. The ride and handling is much much better than just with the lowered springs.

If anyone is considering lowering their car - seriously look at coilovers - its worth it.

Since i had the first Aurion done, i don't know if all the Pedders stores will do them yet, But if you give Terry at campbelltown a call, and mention that you are interested in coilovers like Daniel (me) with the white Aurion had installed, i'm sure he can help you.

I won't tell you the price, as i don't really know what they are worth at retail prices.(i think arounf $2500 approx). I paid less becasue it was test fitted to my car.

Anyway i'm stoked at the results, and amazed at the difference.

Big thumbs up to Pedders customer service, they were great in sorting out the problem.

BTW - The knock was caused by a spring modification (not done by pedders).

Edited by DKzr6