Cooling/heat issue/s :/

Lisa M. Stewart

i have a 90 all-trac replaced the thrmostat 3 times and just replaced the radiator and the cap (cap twice)...haven't done a flush yet but the coolant was very nasty coming out of the car when I drained it from the radiator...The car used to stay at normal op temps when idling but when hit the highway speed creap up and go back down (like the thermo was stuck)...anyways I yanked the thermostat for troubleshooting and she does alot better now, less issues when its warmer out (its been really cold here in wisconisn)....

Another question while Im at this point...if the heater core is clogged will it cause temp issues with the water temp?

Im hoping is just a clog somewhere and not a head issue!

Anyway to tell other than just getting it flused and finding out that way??? Or anyone have any better ideas?? I'm frustrated!

Also, just to point out...it likes to smoke out the radiator cap, i kept the cap off and ran it at idle for a bit just to get the air out and it was smoking, if I run the car around town for a bit (like I said shes doing better now with the new radiator cap and no thermostat but) she smokes a bit more but the temp is staying down...i drove it for about 10 miles she was fine, hoped on the interstate for about 3 miles and she started getting hot again, soon as I got to an idle she started coming back down....???

Thanks

Lisa M. Stewart

i have a 90 all-trac replaced the thrmostat 3 times and just replaced the radiator and the cap (cap twice)...haven't done a flush yet but the coolant was very nasty coming out of the car when I drained it from the radiator...The car used to stay at normal op temps when idling but when hit the highway speed creap up and go back down (like the thermo was stuck)...anyways I yanked the thermostat for troubleshooting and she does alot better now, less issues when its warmer out (its been really cold here in wisconisn)....

Another question while Im at this point...if the heater core is clogged will it cause temp issues with the water temp?

Im hoping is just a clog somewhere and not a head issue!

Anyway to tell other than just getting it flused and finding out that way??? Or anyone have any better ideas?? I'm frustrated!

Also, just to point out...it likes to smoke out the radiator cap, i kept the cap off and ran it at idle for a bit just to get the air out and it was smoking, if I run the car around town for a bit (like I said shes doing better now with the new radiator cap and no thermostat but) she smokes a bit more but the temp is staying down...i drove it for about 10 miles she was fine, hoped on the interstate for about 3 miles and she started getting hot again, soon as I got to an idle she started coming back down....???

Thanks

Lisa M. Stewart

Heater core is clogged with spam. Common problem.

try flushing it all first... also it might pay to get your head checked... same sort of things where happeing to my ST184 when the head went on it.

Heater core is clogged with spam. Common problem.

You've just made my day.

Man, I thought that this bot was banned after the period of lacking posts. I guess it came back for more.

when the temps down and she SMOKES a bit i used put a couple of nicotine patches in strategic places in the engine bay and she would give up SMOKING by the time i got to where ever it was we were going.hope this helps :blink:

when the temps down and she SMOKES a bit i used put a couple of nicotine patches in strategic places in the engine bay and she would give up SMOKING by the time i got to where ever it was we were going.hope this helps :blink:

I also use those "No Smoking" stickers along with cutting the sides of ciggy cartons and placing them around the place. Did the job for my car.