dash lights

im sure many of you have looked up youtube for speedo runs and lift etc.. im sure most of you's have come accross this youtube vid

atm i got a single din blue JVC deck, im thinking if i change the dash lights to blue, with the a/c controls blue, ill have a blue setup, and when lift kicks in it goes back to red... you's think its possible and will it look alright??

atm i have yellow a/c controls, blue radio and red dash..

A long time ago I looked into doing something like this aswell. At the time Northy and Silverbullit offered lots of info to me.

The Red that is in your dash is coming from a layer of red within laminates of your instrument cluster. Behind that there is a PCB with surface ounted LEDS on it.

To achieve the change of colour, you would have to get a custom instrument cluster made up with a clear layer instead of red, unsolder the surface mount LEDs, wire in a few shift lights to turn one set of LEDs off at a certain RPM and turn another set on at a certain RPM. You would also have to use a diffuser or something to get an even spread of light across the dash.

I would have loved to have blue dash that turns red at 6200rpm, I have blue door sills, changed centre consol to blue a while ago, have a blue stereo. Unfortunately, things get very costly if you make a mistake and need a new cluster.

I actually e-mailed the guy making the ones on Youtube asking him about making one for the Corolla/Stivo. He had/has no plans of doing one, but if he got sent an instrument cluster he could try to engineer one. Cost? Well...he couldn't say for sure, of course, but anywhere from a couple of hundred dollars up to a thousand for the job....and you still gotta supply the cluster!

Not sure what the cost of the cluster down there in Oz, but up here in the cold north they run around $1200 AUD.

So..let us know when you have shipped off your testcluster! :whistling:

If it could be done without spending a stupid amount of money it would be cool! :D

If i had a stivo, i would do it :P

and then you can all be envious of me haha :yahoo:

Evo

Not sure what the cost of the cluster down there in Oz, but up here in the cold north they run around $1200 AUD.

I'm pretty sure thats around the cost I came across about 2 years ago when I looked at it.

It probebly wouldn't be too expensive to do, but to get it to look good would be difficult (not haveing some spots brighter than othe spots) and the risk of needing a new cluster is too high.