Toyota Camries with vinyl roofs in Florida...

It might seem strange to an Aussie, but vinyl roofs continue to live on here in the US. When you think vinyl you think Cadillac or Lincoln, but actually they're just as common here (with the elderly, of course), on Camries, Avalons, Accords, Sonatas, and Nissan Altimas. You even see them on Lexus ES350s and LS460s.

While here I took a photo of 3 generations of Camry with vinyl roofs, plus 1 Accord:

A 97-99 model with a tan roof, photographed in a 55+ apartment complex:

post-13248-1240371629_thumb.jpg

A current model Camry, with a black roof and fake chrome B-pillars on the door (again very common here):

post-13248-1240371607_thumb.jpg

Here's an 02-04 Camry what looks like a dark navy blue or maybe black top, and chrome rims! This one was taken at an expensive country club, where the residents are mostly over 60. Apologies for the image quality - it was in an undercover car park.

post-13248-1240371638_thumb.jpg

And, lastly, an 03-05 Accord, at a local shopping centre:

post-13248-1240371684_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Z

they dont look too bad. Looks like the soft top convertibles :yahoo:

Now what would the corolla look like with the vinyl top <_<

It just gives it a more elegant appearance, I suppose. It's also useful in Florida because of the intense sun, which causes paint to fade quicker (and roads as well - about a year after a road is paved, the black asphalt quickly fades to light grey). You see 10 year old cars here with paint that's already starting to crack/fade, and the roof has the largest surface area that's getting sun on it, so I suppose the vinyl would give it some protection. Cheaper to replace a worn vinyl top than to respray a roof, i reckon.

Edited by David Z

LOL :lol: Those cars look stupid to put it mildly. To say they are for protection, that’s why you park your car undercover and keep to paint in good condition by waxing etc. Or at worse, get your roof resprayed, because vinyl would crack and split after 10 years of sun anyway.

I never understood why it was done back in the day. The first book on panel beating I ever borrowed was from teh '70's and it had instructions on how to install one - I laughed hard!

.....and now in Sunny Florida.......

Umm, extra insulation from the Florida sun?

If that was the case, why black??

Also, if they are going for the convertible look, well, with the advent of metal folding roofs, it is a thing of the past......here are manufacturers spending millions to give us a convertibles that don't look like convertibles, and here we have pensioners paying to make a non-convertible look like one......

(after that rant, the jobs don't seem too badly done, and it is definetly different. Whose first? LOL)

Also, if they are going for the convertible look, well, with the advent of metal folding roofs, it is a thing of the past......here are manufacturers spending millions to give us a convertibles that don't look like convertibles, and here we have pensioners paying to make a non-convertible look like one......

America's always been backwards in that regard.

America's always been backwards in that regard.

Actually I doubt it's for protective reasons because you don't see anyone other than seniors with them. That said, the Florida sun is HARSH. I took a photo of this 1990s Corolla to illustrate my point:

post-13248-1240550709_thumb.jpg

Anyway, here are a few more vinyls I captured: A Lexus ES350, LS460, and a Chrysler 300C:

post-13248-1240550833_thumb.jpg

post-13248-1240550966_thumb.jpg

post-13248-1240550977_thumb.jpg

I would say it would have to be for looks rather than any sun protection otherwise they would be getting it done up north or in WA, wouldn't they??

Back in the day a vinyl roof was only for look anyway (weren't they??) I'll check with Dad tomorrow he had one on his XP Falcon (some time in the late 60's)