Tuning an engine for 98 Octane Fuel?!

mulla

But Shan, you drive like a grandma :P hehehe

I'd be lucky to get 500 without the blower and extremely lucky to reach 400 with it if there were no highway driving!

Well, after trying to catch you up in the Sunshine Coast Hinterland yesterday, I'd suggest that I don't drive like a GRANDMA, but you moreso driving like a LUNATIC hahahahaha

• 2 weeks later...

i've heard differently regarding the fuel debate.

apparently the knock sensors in the engine will detect the higher octane fuel and send signals to the ecu, which in turn will advance the timing automatically.....

can someone shed some light into this?

i've heard differently regarding the fuel debate.

apparently the knock sensors in the engine will detect the higher octane fuel and send signals to the ecu, which in turn will advance the timing automatically.....

can someone shed some light into this?

Knock sensors can't "detect" the octane rating of the fuel. Generally what they do is advance the timing (within a certain range, which is why you still have to set base timing separately) until knock occurs, and then retard it slightly until knock goes away - rinse and repeat. They're a dumb sensor, in that all they do is just output a voltage when excited in a particular way, the ECU does all the calculations and control.

So generally you should up your base timing slightly (with the diagnostic terminals bridged to stop auto-advance) to account for the higher octane fuel (which burns slower, hence you want spark earlier), even though the knock sensor and ECU will cause the advance to automatically move depending on knock.