Marks, like tree sap

first topic in this thread.. Kool :D

anyways i've had to park my car under alot of gum trees over the years and i found it really annoying when the sap and other marks just wouldn't come off with a wash. i tried buying tough shampoos, wax, waterless thingys. none of them worked, until i tried using methylated spirits. works like a charm, just be carefull not to get it on any rubber, or the plasticy chrome like the badges.

I'm not responsible if anything goes wrong if u try this. do it first in an unnoticable place like engine bay or sumthing

Edited by 0-100

....im preety sure 0-100 is right. Methylated spirits would be stripping off the tree sap for sure along.. with your paint without a doubt. :o

BIG NO.. NO.. to methylated spirits

use the maguires clay man...alot safer and made for cars

Edited by Armstrong

And then for future reference... don't park under trees for that reason.

i wish i could park it in the garage, but with 4 other cars to compete, i'm usually left out....

as for the metho removing my paint, it doesn't, however i will take the advice into consideration, and stop using to prevent any future damage.

thanks guys

*late entry into thread*

Meguires Scratch-X got rid of the scary *****-off sap from my company skid machine. Wouldn't know how to "use" clay if my life depended on it.

Microfibre cloth soaked in hot water. Leave to sit on stain for a few minutes then simply wipe off. this will soften the sap and if it doesn't remove it all then put some turps on a terry toweling cloth and soak the remains. then simply using no pressure wipe off.

Turps doesn't harm paint. I use it all the time as a professional detailer to remove things such as tar, road grime and as above.

• 1 month later...
Use clay to get rid of tree sap. Methylated spirits isn't such a good idea.

Clay ftw!

I mainly park in a garage, but from time to time, I park under the under tree. I get the occasional tree sap on the paint. I have tried all sorts of shampoo ... but to no avail.

Not until I tried using a clay bar. It rip the sap off right away. I was amazed at to what it could do.

As for the metho ... I'll have to say no to that.

• 1 month later...

Go down to your auto paint shop and ask for Prepsol, Its a prep solvent used to remove and clean paint work....

But do it when it happens not 6 months later while 2 pack paint is amazing stuff tree sap and bird poo is acidic and will etch this paint..

• 1 month later...
first topic in this thread.. Kool :D

anyways i've had to park my car under alot of gum trees over the years and i found it really annoying when the sap and other marks just wouldn't come off with a wash. i tried buying tough shampoos, wax, waterless thingys. none of them worked, until i tried using methylated spirits. works like a charm, just be carefull not to get it on any rubber, or the plasticy chrome like the badges.

I'm not responsible if anything goes wrong if u try this. do it first in an unnoticable place like engine bay or sumthing

HI as far as I'm aware methylated spirits does not affect most plastics (it comes in a plastic bottle) Ive used it to remove glue from door plastic-rubber door seals double sided tape residue from the back of plastic emblems etc with no ill affects however chromed plastic etc is a different matter as the chrome coating is probably attached with a glue that can be dissolved by the metho. If metho wont move residual glue, try petrol. one or the other usually works. By the way bird crap if left on paint sometimes for a relatively short time can leave a mark.Happened to me and I tried everything from polishing it off etc to no avail. Rang panel beater and was told to pour boiling water on it, do anything else before and forget it. So next time I tried it and it worked.