Low km Camry Oil Change??

mulla

Hi All,

Originally purchased my Camry brand new in early 2005 (Gen 5.5) and have had dealer service every 7,500km since then. I've always supplied my own oil using Castrol Edge 5w-30, always ran on 98 and occassionally 95 octane fuel (not that it matters here?!).

Now since getting a new job 2 years back I'm lucky enough to be able to walk to work each day thus the Camry only get a work out every weekend when I go do the shopping / going out etc. It was Feb 2008 when I had my last service and now the odo is sitting on 35,xxx and my next interval is at 37,500 if I go by the 7,500km interval.

I was wondering if it's safe to wait until I hit that km interval before I go and have my service done? Or should I stick with the 12month service interval for a low km car?

Doesn't make much sense to me that oil could breakdown just sitting in a sealed engine when it's not running? I did some googling and there's some patchy information that seemed to agree that "time interval" can be ignored and stick to the "km interval".

Just to be safe I thought I'd ask ppl's opinions here which had been extremely helpful!!

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I have a 2001 V6 Camry and a 2005 Corolla both of which are relatively low mileage cars, more so the Camry and I change the oil and filters in both every 6 months(Castrol GTX3), regardless...It's not that expensive really, around $30 a car...