Smelly air conditioner

I'm not sure if this has been posted up before, but here I go:

I drive a 2006 corolla Conquest.

For the past few months, I've noticed that when I turn on the air con, a moldy, mushroom smells gets emitted from the air con vents.

I've done a bit of research ion the internet and this smell is created by the build-up of bacteria/mold with the air-con inlet.

Does anyone know of where I can purchase something I can put into the air con or suggest something I could do (without taking it to the garage)?

I mentioned it to the garage last time (when I took it in for a service) and they charged with $30 to "clean" it up, a few weeks alter the smell came back.

It's rather embarrassing when I've got friends in the car with me because of the smell.

I did a little more research, and it appears that replacing the pollen filter (behind the glove box) may help me with this problem.

I called up the Toyota dealer (just to get an indication on how much the part costs). He said that the 2006 Corolla models did not come pollen filters as standard. So I'm not sure if my car has a pollen filter installed.

When I get home tonight, I'm going to have a look at pollen filter (if there is one). Either way, I'm going to replace/purchase a new air filter. Does anyone know where I could purchase one from? The bloke at Toyota quoted me $50-100 for it ... seems a little steep if you ask me.

hey mate...yeah im pretty sure the sportivos dont have a pollen filter as standard and maybe post 2006 models may be the same ?

maybe PM a person on here "GUNI" as i know he has purchased one for his car....other guys i think have made them with basic materials from bunnings....i myself havent done anything about mine...doesnt smell bad though.....a filter to alleviate the smell when travelling in heavy traffic would be nice though ill be interested to see how you go

cheers

I have the blitz filter. A/C Hybrid Filter HA104. It's a cabin filter for ZZE122 and ZZE123.

it is washable and helps stop odours.

Had it a while now paid $45 very easy to install.

To get to the filter you need to pull out your glovebox.

ryco also supplies the cabin filter.Ryco only makes particle for ZZE12# therefore it doesn't absorb gases or odours

try autobarn for that one

Filter life expectancy is between 15,000 to 25,000 miles depending on the concentration of contaminants and the filter surface area

to install

Just push in on both sides and the glovebox should slide out. The filter is located behind there.

the filter is behind the glovebox, push in the clips at the side & slide it out. From what i have read the tray for the filter is there but the filter itself isnt you must add it yourself. from what i have gathered toyota in aus does not supply it with their zze122/123 corollas.

Also have seen the filters available at Toyota

Also you can try 3m cabin filter but dont know if it is available in aus.You can call 3M Product Information Centre on 136136 if you want to find out more.

Others may be able to help more.

I have the blitz filter. A/C Hybrid Filter HA104. It's a cabin filter for ZZE122 and ZZE123.

it is washable and helps stop odours.

Had it a while now paid $45 very easy to install.

To get to the filter you need to pull out your glovebox.

ryco also supplies the cabin filter.Ryco only makes particle for ZZE12# therefore it doesn't absorb gases or odours

try autobarn for that one

Filter life expectancy is between 15,000 to 25,000 miles depending on the concentration of contaminants and the filter surface area

to install

Just push in on both sides and the glovebox should slide out. The filter is located behind there.

the filter is behind the glovebox, push in the clips at the side & slide it out. From what i have read the tray for the filter is there but the filter itself isnt you must add it yourself. from what i have gathered toyota in aus does not supply it with their zze122/123 corollas.

Also have seen the filters available at Toyota

Also you can try 3m cabin filter but dont know if it is available in aus.You can call 3M Product Information Centre on 136136 if you want to find out more.

Others may be able to help more.

Thanks Champ!!!

woot woot!!!

Whereabouts did you get your A/C hybrid filter from?

thanks Jared :D :D

i bought mine from a group buy.

I have rang a company in Vic and will see if they can get them. will let you know. They will also give me a price

could be expensive due to aussie dollar

.here is some info on the blitz

http://www.blitz.co.jp/products/a_c-filter/a_c-filter.htm

Fantastic!!! Love ya work!!!!

I dont mind paying for the product as long as it fixes it.

Thanks for the links. If I was able to pick from the 2, I'd be going for the Blitz one.

Simply because of the carbob activator .. but I have since found out that there are other brands that have the carbon activator too ... so i'm in a little dilemma right now ...

Edited by corolla.au

I opened up the cabin filter box, and to my surprise it was bloody empty .. rofl!!!! No point me spraying stuff into the inlets now right? or do I still spray it?

Just quickly .. is this the one with the carbon activator? I want the filter to minimise as much smell also.

And just confirming, this will fit my Corolla 2006 1.8 car?

i had a smelly smell coming out of my camry vents. i just thought it was the gas and was considering getting it drained and re-gassed.....

i drove with the windows down and aircon on for a while and the smell went...... :huh:

thats my 2c

good luck

i had a smelly smell coming out of my camry vents. i just thought it was the gas and was considering getting it drained and re-gassed.....

i drove with the windows down and aircon on for a while and the smell went...... :huh:

thats my 2c

good luck

For me the smell comes everytime I turn the a/c back on. It lingers around for a minute and then goes away. But the very next time I turn on the air ... it happens again.

thats my 2c

good luck

For me the smell comes everytime I turn the a/c back on. It lingers around for a minute and then goes away. But the very next time I turn on the air ... it happens again.

can't help u there, maybe u need to consider buying the filter that the others were talking about previously....goodluck

thats my 2c

good luck

can't help u there, maybe u need to consider buying the filter that the others were talking about previously....goodluck

Thanks anyway.

I've ordered a carbon activated cabin filter to see if it helps. Otherwise I'll have to take the car in and get them to pull apart the air con.

thats my 2c

good luck

Thanks anyway.

I've ordered a carbon activated cabin filter to see if it helps. Otherwise I'll have to take the car in and get them to pull apart the air con.

off topic i know, but ur in sydney right? coming to the Sydney cruise this friday?

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...=21704&st=0

thats my 2c

good luck

Thanks anyway.

off topic i know, but ur in sydney right? coming to the Sydney cruise this friday?

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...=21704&st=0

Thanks for the invite.

Unfortunately I'll be leaving Sydney that evening and I'll be out of town that weekend.

Unfortunately, replacing the pollen filter will only be masking your smelly problem. The cause is bacteria growing on your A/c evaporator. You need to buy a disinfectant spray and pull one of your air ducts off under the dash and spray as close to the evaporator/heater core area as possible. Replacing the filter will help but only by covering the smell. Leaving the air control set to fresh air instead of re-circ will help also. If you do replace the filter, drop a few drops of vanilla essence on it before you stick it in. Our customers love it when we do that.

Oh and if you take your filter tray to your local dealership, they will def. have a filter there that will fit. Most of them are interchangeable between other models

~Josh

I smoke in my car and i noticed that a good spray of glen 20 into the airvents (from the outside) and the fan on so it sucks the spray in usually keeps the car smelling nice for a while.

Unfortunately, replacing the pollen filter will only be masking your smelly problem. The cause is bacteria growing on your A/c evaporator. You need to buy a disinfectant spray and pull one of your air ducts off under the dash and spray as close to the evaporator/heater core area as possible. Replacing the filter will help but only by covering the smell. Leaving the air control set to fresh air instead of re-circ will help also. If you do replace the filter, drop a few drops of vanilla essence on it before you stick it in. Our customers love it when we do that.

Oh and if you take your filter tray to your local dealership, they will def. have a filter there that will fit. Most of them are interchangeable between other models

~Josh

Where abouts is this air duct? Is it the air intake valve under the windscreen wipers? or is it another thing you're talking about?

Also, whereabouts is the evaporator?