Smelly air conditioner

I've sprayed half a can of glen 20 into the air intake (under the wipers), whilst having the heat on full blast.

The filter was taken out before spraying ...

After leaving the heat on for 10 mins, I then turned off the heat and let it sit there for the night. The next day I took it for a drive and to my amazement, there was no mushroomy smell ...... however!!! Yesterday driving home from Canberra, I noticed a slight hint of the moldy smell coming back.

Was there anything I did wrong? Or is there anything else I should do to my routine?

Try using outside air instead of cabin air circulations mode.

I remember when I first got the Celica, it had smelly air-con. My Corolla never had smelly air-con, and I always leave the vent to draw in outside air instead of cabin circulations mode. So I did that the same to the Celica, and it's not long until the bad odour from the air-con dissapeared permanently.

Each time you drive, there will always be fresh air coming in through the vents (of course you switch to cabin circulations when there's polution), and maybe that cleans up the bad germ in the vents, I don't know. But it work.

• 1 month later...
Try using outside air instead of cabin air circulations mode.

I remember when I first got the Celica, it had smelly air-con. My Corolla never had smelly air-con, and I always leave the vent to draw in outside air instead of cabin circulations mode. So I did that the same to the Celica, and it's not long until the bad odour from the air-con dissapeared permanently.

Each time you drive, there will always be fresh air coming in through the vents (of course you switch to cabin circulations when there's polution), and maybe that cleans up the bad germ in the vents, I don't know. But it work.

Hi All,

It's been a while and rather than creating a new thread, I thought I'd bring this one back to the top of the heap.

The mushroomy smell is still there. And I've noticed, that the smell is only there when I turn on the cool. I don't seem to be able to smell it when I've got the HEAT on.

So this is really driving me nuts ...

If I take it to the garage, what are they likely to do? Is there something they can do to fully get rid of it?

Have you tried driving around with the vent set to draw in outside air?

Yep I've been driving around for the past few weeks with the vent set to draw air from outside. But as soon as I turn it to recycle air, the stench comes back instantly.

Ahahaha, my friend's civic was left for the whole year while he was studying overseas. When he came back and start the car it had a hard time starting, then something pop out from his exhaust (must be a big exhaust) and it was a family of mouse. Medium rare.

Anyway back to air-con.

Well, the last resort would be to bring it to servicing and get it cleaned up. What ever it is that needs cleaning. Not to discouraged you, but long ago I remember my x gf IS200 got its aircon serviced to get rid of the smelly odour, and after awhile it came back! Best to ask how to keep the bad odour away when and if you go for air con service.

• 2 weeks later...
I did a little more research, and it appears that replacing the pollen filter (behind the glove box) may help me with this problem.

I called up the Toyota dealer (just to get an indication on how much the part costs). He said that the 2006 Corolla models did not come pollen filters as standard. So I'm not sure if my car has a pollen filter installed.

When I get home tonight, I'm going to have a look at pollen filter (if there is one). Either way, I'm going to replace/purchase a new air filter. Does anyone know where I could purchase one from? The bloke at Toyota quoted me $50-100 for it ... seems a little steep if you ask me.

I own a Toyota Azura which I traded in a Sportivo for , and both cars had the same problem!!! if you want to rid the car of the bacteria from the car you

have to use an antibacterial

solution such as Glen 20!!!! what you do is lift your bonnet turn car ignition on and run your aircon ,with out starting your car,, while it is running you apply short bursts down the air intake which you will hear where it is coming from by the noise of air from the fan until you can smell the glen 20 inside you car .. close the bonnet turn ignition OFF close doors leave for about an hour (and Bobs your uncle) you may have to repeat some times in the future but that is all Toyota do on their services only they dont use glen 20 which in my book is much more effective anyway , try it

Dave Scully oh by the way remember to turn off your air con 5 or 6 minutes before arriving home to dry out the condensor :clap:

Edited by david scully