vibration problem toyota corolla 1993

stewy

Hi everyone. I have a:

Toyota ae92 corolla CSi LTD HATCHBACK 1993 automatic

Everytime I put my foot on the brake at the lights (car still in Drive), I feel and hear this loud shuddering vibration from the engine. The shaking permeates through the steering wheel, pedals and dashboard; and quite often the shaking is so bad that even the drivers seat shudders as well. However, the vibrations reduce to a minimum when i put the car in Neutral or Park.

The vibration do not occur during driving but sometimes during take off.

I have heard that the issue could be related to the engine mountings, but I have personally checked (not that Im an expert) by stepping on the brake and accelerator at the same time to see if the engine shakes violently - and it does not. Is there another method of checking the engine mounts?

I have also heard that the problem could be caused by the distributor and leads. I have just replaced the distributor rotor and cap and leads, but the car still vibrates. As a result I have put my old distributor cap and leads back in, but kept the new rotor (returned the new cap and leads i bought). The spark plugs were only recently changed.

The engine idles at around 900rpm so I don't think its a tuning problem.

Any ideas anyone?

The car has done about 140 000 kms.

Thanks heaps ;)

Hey

Have a look at your exhaust.... are any parts touching the body?

There is no way in hell that an exhaust touching the body could produce vibrations like that

Engine/transmission mounts would be the first thing I check, if they're fine then it could be that the transmission itself has troubles (evident that it occurs in drive when stopped but not neutral or park). If so, I'd take it to an auto tranny expert, most likely not something you can diagnose or fix yourself.

Hi thanks for replying.

Would stepping on the brake and accelerator simultaneously be adequate in checking the engine mounts? I was told by a friend to do this and to look at the engine to see if it vibrates vigorously.

Where would the transmission mounts be on my corolla would you know?

Appreciate your reply.

Hi thanks for replying.

Would stepping on the brake and accelerator simultaneously be adequate in checking the engine mounts? I was told by a friend to do this and to look at the engine to see if it vibrates vigorously.

Where would the transmission mounts be on my corolla would you know?

Appreciate your reply.

Engine/transmission mounts on a FWD Corolla go something like this:

Drivers-side end of the engine, where all the belts are, to just in front of the driver-side strut tower

From the exhaust-side of the bellhousing just where it bolts to the engine, to the gearbox crossmember under the engine/gearbox (ie to below the radiator)

Passenger-side end of the gearbox, on top, to the passenger-side of the engine bay just in front of the passenger's side strut tower (most likely under the airbox if you have EFI)

Intake side of the gearbox, from the diff to the rear of the engine/gearbox crossmember (I think)

So basically, 1 engine mount and 3 gearbox mounts, if you're looking down on top and imagine the engine and gearbox as one rectangle then there is one mount on the middle of each side, pretty simple to find but slightly harder to reach.

• 1 month later...

The wife had one also auto, had a two problems,

One, engine and transmission jerked when selected. Found mecanic had not replaced the engine mount bolt, sits up on top of the front wheel arch.

Two, Constant velocity joint failure, not broken altogether but enough to growl when moving off or stopping, soon after when slowing or moving off it felt like the front wheels were walking tather than rolling, turned out to be problem with the tyres out of round.

The vibration you're experiencing would most likely be caused by the engine mounts...

Foot on the brake and accelerator won't make the engine shake or vibrate, it will only show you how far the engine is moving and you'll need someone to look at the mounts while you're doing this to check for cracks in the mount...

Also, you can use a screwdriver or lever bar inside the mounts and lever the mount in all directions and check it that way...