Moody Gearbox

About 2 weeks after the clutch adjustment, the clutch dropped back to a lower than before level, so i took the car in, as the clutch pedal was taking a while to come back up after changing gears while in lift, literally staying on the floor and i had to use my foot to push it back up from underneath making driving a bit dangerous, not to mention tight gear changes. Anyway, i take the car in, and the dealer offered a mechanic to drive it for me. The bl@@dy thing was fine that day wasnt it ;) so the mechanic said its all sweet. He tried to land in lift but couldnt manage 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, dropped out everytime. The guy was an ex integra type R owner now a WRX owner. He believes the gearing is wrong for the stivo and that toyota deliberatly made it so that we dont stay in lift every gear for fuel consumption and reliability reasons, where as honda geared the car differently and stayed in V-tech all the time but was hard on fuel when driven hard. He also pointed that toyota detunes their cars by up tp 30% to maintain strong reliability. Anyway he ended with the clutch and gearbox to be fine and stated that "if there are gearbox issues with the synchros, you can tell when you downshift if it's hard to get in, as the car will increase in revs, not upshift where the revs drop". When upshifting, if it's hard to engage its most likely human error. I think thats crap, as a few days later the clutch pedal played up again. Now im thinking of taking it in to another dealer to see what they have to say about it.

About 2 weeks after the clutch adjustment, the clutch dropped back to a lower than before level, so i took the car in, as the clutch pedal was taking a while to come back up after changing gears while in lift, literally staying on the floor and i had to use my foot to push it back up from underneath making driving a bit dangerous, not to mention tight gear changes. Anyway, i take the car in, and the dealer offered a mechanic to drive it for me. The bl@@dy thing was fine that day wasnt it  ;) so the mechanic said its all sweet. He tried to land in lift but couldnt manage 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, dropped out everytime. The guy was an ex integra type R owner now a WRX owner. He believes the gearing is wrong for the stivo and that toyota deliberatly made it so that we dont stay in lift every gear for fuel consumption and reliability reasons, where as honda geared the car differently and stayed in V-tech all the time but was hard on fuel when driven hard. He also pointed that toyota detunes their cars by up tp 30% to maintain strong reliability. Anyway he ended with the clutch and gearbox to be fine and stated that "if there are gearbox issues with the synchros, you can tell when you downshift if it's hard to get in, as the car will increase in revs, not upshift where the revs drop". When upshifting, if it's hard to engage its most likely human error. I think thats crap, as a few days later the clutch pedal played up again. Now im thinking of taking it in to another dealer to see what they have to say about it.

I know a guy that also drives a TypeR before and swapped it for a WRX. He worked for a Honda dealership in Wollongong, maybe its the same guy? I nearly bought his TypeR but bcos it was modded and i wanted a new car.

You should be able to land LIFT with very quick shifting, provided your shifter is okay and not stuck in gear for a split second like some of our Stivos do. My trick is always the same, brush the rev-limiter and it usually frees up the shifter and i can land LIFT 9 out of 10 times, every gear. I am certain this problem is not gearbox related, its most likely clutch and flywheel related. A problem called clutch drag also exibits this symptom - "Reluctant gear shifter". I think Toyota either used different clutch facing material or flywheel in the Stivos hence this problem. But a good thing is my clutch is still pretty good even after the abuse it has been given for the past 25,000kms.

corect me if im wrong but isnt it true that ppl have replaced the cluch and pressure plate to TRD ones and gotten rid of the gears sticking prob???

A few people with Stivos have the TRD clutch and pressure plate plus TRD or TOM's flywheel and they all say the shifting feel/quality improved. But how serious their gear shifting problem was prior to getting the clutch and flywheel installed is unknown and very subjective. I personally am getting Exedy clutch and TOM's flywheel fitted. Don't know if that will solve the problem hence i am waiting till my clutch drops before proceeding.

Zee

corect me if im wrong but isnt it true that ppl have replaced the cluch and pressure plate to TRD ones and gotten rid of the gears sticking prob???

A few people with Stivos have the TRD clutch and pressure plate plus TRD or TOM's flywheel and they all say the shifting feel/quality improved. But how serious their gear shifting problem was prior to getting the clutch and flywheel installed is unknown and very subjective. I personally am getting Exedy clutch and TOM's flywheel fitted. Don't know if that will solve the problem hence i am waiting till my clutch drops before proceeding.

Zee

wat is so subjective about it? past about 7000rpm, the shifter seizes in gear. full stop.