2 things: Thudd when taking off and Tyre Change

Hey gang,

Just wondering if any of the AT-X owners (not sure if sportivo owners get this) get a "thudd" sound when taking off. I spoke to a guy from Toyota and he said it was the traction control turning on? The sound doesnt seemt to a damaging one so I'm taking his word for it just thought I'd ask you guys.

Also -I'd be gettin new tyres in (sportivo Rims :D) and would it be better if I took it to a wheel shop and get them to fit it and do some wheel alignment and balancing or just fit them myself?

What do you guys think.

Thanks

Hey gang,

Just wondering if any of the AT-X owners (not sure if sportivo owners get this) get a "thudd" sound when taking off. I spoke to a guy from Toyota and he said it was the traction control turning on? The sound doesnt seemt to a damaging one so I'm taking his word for it just thought I'd ask you guys.

Also -I'd be gettin new tyres in (sportivo Rims :D) and would it be better if I took it to a wheel shop and get them to fit it and do some wheel alignment and balancing or just fit them myself?

What do you guys think.

Thanks

They're right! It is the Traction Control "kicking in"

I have had lots of trouble with wheel balancing my bigger wheels and tyres.

I have now found out why. Toyota wheels apparently need to be balanced - fixed by the wheel stubs not the hub as most garages or tyre places do.

As soon as I found a tyre place that uses the wheels nuts to centre the wheel the balancing was perfect.

I can't remember the phrase - something like Hubcentric" or something,

and yes your tyres will most likely need balancing but not necessarily alignment.

Are you referring to the sound you get when you take off for the first time after starting your car, and it does not occur afterwards when you get your car rolling?

If so, this is to do with the ABS. Every time you start your engine and then drive off the ABS performs a self-check. The service manual best describes this:

When the vehicle speed first becomes approximately 4 mph (6 km/h) or more after the ignition switch is turned on (IG), each solenoid valve and motor of the brake actuator is sequentially activated to perform an electrical check. During the initial check, the operating sound of solenoid valve and motor can be heard from the engine compartment, but this is not a malfunction.

Oh wow.... I was about to post the same question.

Thanks guys!!! I too have that same noise, but it only seems to happen when I first hop into the car, and it does sometimes after I have been sitting at the lights for ages (though this does not happen very often)

Hey gang,

What do you guys think.

Thanks

I have now found out why. Toyota wheels apparently need to be balanced - fixed by the wheel stubs not the hub as most garages or tyre places do.

As soon as I found a tyre place that uses the wheels nuts to centre the wheel the balancing was perfect.

and yes your tyres will most likely need balancing but not necessarily alignment.

yeah toyota are LUG - CENTRIC i started a thread on it the other day :)

Lug - Centric

Are you referring to the sound you get when you take off for the first time after starting your car, and it does not occur afterwards when you get your car rolling?

If so, this is to do with the ABS. Every time you start your engine and then drive off the ABS performs a self-check. The service manual best describes this:

When the vehicle speed first becomes approximately 4 mph (6 km/h) or more after the ignition switch is turned on (IG), each solenoid valve and motor of the brake actuator is sequentially activated to perform an electrical check. During the initial check, the operating sound of solenoid valve and motor can be heard from the engine compartment, but this is not a malfunction.

Well, I feel kinda silly now, been trying to piece out what that noise was for a while!

Well, I feel kinda silly now, been trying to piece out what that noise was for a while!

Naaah! Join the club, I new what it was; but when I replied I said it was the Traction Control and I meant ABS - honest :whistling:

Hey gang,

What do you guys think.

Thanks

yeah toyota are LUG - CENTRIC i started a thread on it the other day :)

Lug - Centric

hmmmmm I should have read that before getting the guys at Buearepaires to fit and balance my toyota wheels! We'll see how I go or if I experience any vibration...

Once upon a time when I was new to the forum, that sound kind of puzzled me as well.

Weird Sound in the back

I have the same nois in my car, the service manual says this is normal as the Abs system is doing a check.

Yeah the ABS test happens just after taking off but only for the first time. It tests the system once and you hear a clunk or dull tap from all four points.

Not sure if this is the noise though. Does it happen everytime you stop and then start or just the first time once you've just started the car ?