Installing Aftermarket Reverse Sensors

Guys,

I'll be doing an install for a mate in a few weeks, just have a couple of questions (well, actually, just one)

I poked around the search function and found nothing of real help. Mate has a 2008 Corolla Ascent (Sedan, Auto) that the sensors are going to be installed into. Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of finding the ideal place to get power from the reverse sensor on the box? Only want to have this thing powered up while in reverse.

Any help on the matter is most appreciated.

Without owning a Corolla, based on the information you have provided, the easiest place to obtain +12v only when the car is in reverse is from either of the reverse lights themselves.

You can either tap into it directly from the light itself at the boot lid then just run the wire from the boot lid to the bumper, or you can find which wires go to the reverse lights and tap into them at any point along the loom (such as in the boot area itself).

Without owning a Corolla, based on the information you have provided, the easiest place to obtain +12v only when the car is in reverse is from either of the reverse lights themselves.

You can either tap into it directly from the light itself at the boot lid then just run the wire from the boot lid to the bumper, or you can find which wires go to the reverse lights and tap into them at any point along the loom (such as in the boot area itself).

Thats what I was thinking initially and probably will do that. I'm under the impression that there is a factory option for the reverse sensors for his model, so I was thinking there may be a point already on the loom that provides the required power somewhere...

I'm under the impression that there is a factory option for the reverse sensors for his model, so I was thinking there may be a point already on the loom that provides the required power somewhere...

That is true as well. Best bet is to look at the wiring harness that goes into the boot. It should be hiding behind all the boot trim. You may find a connector with more wires on one side than the other. I believe it was like that with my Aurion. If you have a multimeter, you can just test these wires for power when in reverse. Without a service manual, you'd need someone who has already attempted this themselves, or someone willing to try it out for you. otherwise you can be the first to take note of it all.

the best thing to do is get a multimeter and test EVERY wire in one of the tail lights until u get 12volts when it is in reverse. being an 08 model the car maybe can bus. DON NOT USE A TEST LIGHT!!!!! no matter what. and earth the system directly to bare metal inside the tail light area.