2007 KLUGER GRANDE AWD TYRE NOISE

EVO_LOVER

hey guys,

just joined the forum hope this serves as an introduction for me as well as a resourse for help :D .....please bear with me i dont usually use forums lol :unsure:

Introduction:

HIIIIII GUYS!!!!! I'm a sydney sider and i live in the st george suburb area (like 10 mins from M5 lol)

Own a Toyta Kluger Grande AWD which got delivered to me on 29th of feb 2008......love this car heaps!!!! huge improvement over my first car which was a 1997/8 mitsubishi verada Ei :yahoo:......in black with cream/tan/beige (not sure what its really called) Leather :D.....it's done 23200Kms..i'll take some pics later and upload

well thats the intro done with....now down to my question/problem at hand :help:

I've had the kluger since last year and it's fabulous, has never put a foot wrong! really quick, comfortable and very economical (i usually get an average of 10.5 ltr/100km on my display)....

Usually it's very quiet and hused with little or no wind/road noise BUT ever since i bought this car there is a lot of tyre roar/noise that gets transmitted into the cabin...even compared to my old mistubishi verada....

however the tyre noise is gone when i get on smooth/new road surfaces like some bits of the M5 but any other "normal" roads (not nessearsily bumpy or undulated) dishes out alot of tyre noise....

I especially noticed this when i took it down to melbourne last year to visit family using the hume highway and the road roar from the tyres got to a point where it was very anoying and tyring... i think this was amplified by the fact that there were a lot of roadworks along the hume highway at the time and roads were upto usual standard...... I can drone it out by turing the music up (volume level past "15")

This tyre noise thing became even more aparent when i went out with a couple of my mates and i got a chance to drive a Honda MDX (the last model they sold before discontinuing it) and an Aurion Pressara...It was a lot more quiter inside the cabin both those cars....

I usually run my tyre pressures at 32psi all round, i think thats the recomended one (not sure), it's been the same since i got it....

Is there any solution other than changing to a different brand/type of tyres??? If it's the only way then whats a good brand??? I'm one of those 99% city/higway and 1% (even less) offroad kind of person.

Thanks i advance guys.....i think i wrote an essay lol..... either way my first ever forum post :yahoo:

Edited by EVO_LOVER

I usually run my tyre pressures at 32psi all round, i think thats the recomended one (not sure), it's been the same since i got it....

Welcome to the forum.

General recommendations I've ssen on the forum are to run the tyres at around 38-40psi as this gives better fuel economy, reduced tread wear and lower tyre noise. There are a number of threads discussing this issue:

Rice Racing's Kluger Performance Thread

03 Kluger grande tyre pressure, optimum tyre pressure

Tyre Wear

There is also some good information that is well worth reading on tyre pressure and tyres in general at The Wheel and Tyre Bible. The information in relation to tyre pressure is about half way down the second page.

These links should answer most of your questions.

Edited by Kesawi