camber kit

h3ctic

gday guys,

i was looking at the tyres on my wide body cam today and realised that there was some serious uneven wear going on. the inside of both front tyres are wearing out a lot faster than the outside. im assuming this means that i have an excessive negative camber problem going on. these camry's don't come with camber kits yea? how much do they cost to install? is it an easy job that can be done at home? if so, does anyone have instructions on how to do this? i hear its not such a hard job.

thanks for the contribution.

Edited by h3ctic

I think you will find that your alignment is out. Take it for a front end wheel alignment and rotate your wheels and that should fix your issue.

Yeah, this can happen quite easily...

I had to get a castor kit put on the front wheels... easy as. I got one of the local fulcrum dealers to install on here... do an alignment, came up fine. Can't remember the cost though.

oh d00d, you'll have to get an alignment once it's done.

the castor kit doesn't just help with how flat the tyre sits on the road, but if you have a "toe-in" or "toe-out" issue with the wheel not sitting straight... weird on how to describe it.

ah yea i kno ill hafta get an alignment, but im also looking to what will fix the problem. i don't think castor angle will affect the fact that im getting an uneven wear. its more to do with the camber was my initial idea. im more wondering (mbruce) if the alignment is really all thats the problem. it seems a bit much that its wearing down like so just because of a little misalignment.

Well its possible that the problem may be more serious, but if you alignment is out and you have too much toe out it will wear the inner of you tyres quicker that you might imagine. I had the same issue not long ago, I got an alignment and it all seems ok now. If it really is the camber, and not an adjustment problem, it would have to be a pretty big problem I should think.

When was you last alignment any way?

Negative camber is good for turning corners :spiteful:

You can adjust camber a little bit with the 2 king pin bolts (where the brakes at bolted onto the struts. Loosen them and there is a few degrees that you can play with it. Push the top in more and you'll get -ve or let it hang down and you get +ve camber.

From personal experience, I found that to make the tyres wear our evenly, it needs about -0.5-1o camber due to our roads.

Edited by STYLSH

hmm

it was about 6 months ago i think.

the alignment seemed pretty perfect until recently when i nipped a curb. now its only a lil off. i think its been a lil off for a few months now. ive done a lil long distance travel on it.

i guess i should go for a realign n ask em what they think. ill rotate the tyres as well. see how the back ones wear afta the realign.

• 1 month later...
Negative camber is good for turning corners :spiteful:

You can adjust camber a little bit with the 2 king pin bolts (where the brakes at bolted onto the struts. Loosen them and there is a few degrees that you can play with it. Push the top in more and you'll get -ve or let it hang down and you get +ve camber.

From personal experience, I found that to make the tyres wear our evenly, it needs about -0.5-1o camber due to our roads.

can you do that with the pin bolts? i mean if i loosen the top one and let it hang, wont it wobble about wen i drive?

No I didnt mean that.

ksporta.th.jpg

Ok the the 2 bolts that goes through those holes circled in green holds your hub to the suspension. (I know yours dont look like that but it'll do for this). First loosen both of those bolts a little bit. Now you will be able to move the hub a bit. In your case, you'd want to pull the top of the hub outwards. Then tighten all those bolts up again.

NOTE: This is only if you actually have a negative camber problem and not a toe problem.

AND if thats too hard, go to an alignment shop and ask them to look at that for you. They will actually do it on the machine and adjust it for you.

Edited by STYLSH

im pretty sure.

ive had the tyres rotated and realigned. so the two front ones were in pretty sweet condition. been driving a bit and already noticed the inside wearing out again and ive been driving carefully to not knock the alignment out again.

im pretty sure.

ive had the tyres rotated and realigned. so the two front ones were in pretty sweet condition. been driving a bit and already noticed the inside wearing out again and ive been driving carefully to not knock the alignment out again.

Camber wear takes ages, unless it is like 5*+ which you wont get on a stock car (rear of Commodore wagon excluded), toe wear can happen pretty quickly. I'd say they did a lazy realignmnet and set the cross toe as zero and not actual toe as zero.

Looking front on do the front wheels look like this? / \