Gearbox clunk!

mayhewga

A couple of times now I have started up from cold and tried to select reverse, but there is a delay then a loud metalic clang as it finaly falls into reverse.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Automatic I would assume. Have you payed attention to the revs the engine is at when you do this? Are you selecting reverse within 10 seconds of a complete cold start? If so, wait about 20-30 seconds until the revs drop down to 1000RPM (or very close to) and then try selecting reverse. See if it does it much smoother then.

FYI The new Kluger only comes in Auto

Ours is coming up for its 2nd birthday and I must say have never heard a clang from the box

Do you park on a hill?

Edited by PC XT

FYI The new Kluger only comes in Auto

Thanks. So Toyota's even spoiling the fun for the off-roader as well.

That's where 80% of the market is today in Japan you only really need a manual for 5% of the time today any way.

Automatic I would assume. Have you payed attention to the revs the engine is at when you do this? Are you selecting reverse within 10 seconds of a complete cold start? If so, wait about 20-30 seconds until the revs drop down to 1000RPM (or very close to) and then try selecting reverse. See if it does it much smoother then.

Thanks for that thought DJKOR, yes it does rev highly for the first little while after starting so that could be it!

• 2 weeks later...

Further to the clunking, I asked the service guy at Toyota and he said to release the (hand) brake when I select reverse so that if the gears were not quite lined up, then allowing the car to move a bit will allow the gears to mesh.

Sounds feasible, so a combination of letting the revs drop and letting off the park brake will probably do it.

Thanks for that thought DJKOR, yes it does rev highly for the first little while after starting so that could be it!

another thing i do to avoid clunking into reverse is to put car into neutral,foot on the brake,apply handbrake,release foot brake,let car roll to stop,then select park,try this and see how you go,the old falcon's and magna's always do this as they get older(clunking) and i found by doing this the clunking is a lot smoother or non existent

another thing i do as well is first thing in morning let engine run till revs drop below 1500,then quickly select neutral with foot on brake of course,handbrake activated too,then select reverse,let us know how you go.

this is just what i do and as said have done for many years,the missus's old magna was synonymous for this and it seem to help a lot

cheers

it only clunks as the handbrake probably doesnt hold it properly(most dont on hills) and hence the cars weight is held by P, or park. If you follow the previous instructions re neutral it can help, only if the handbrake holds, which mine doesnt and my driveway is on a slope...if you are on a slope, try parking in the opposite direction, hence reverse in instead of driving straight in, mine holds better with the boot uphill.

It shouldnt matter about the revs from my experience