Loan vehicle - when car in for service.

castr10

Need some viewpoints - recently I organised to have a loan car whilst my vehicle went in for service at a high profile Toyota Dealer in Sydney. Unfortunately my work is nowhere near an accessible public transport route. I was advised of this service (decent price of $38 per day) when I took on a service plan with this Dealer at time of purchase. Never needed to use until recently since I made use of a friends vehicle. When I went to drop off the vehicle and collect the loaner I was advised of an excess charge of $2000 if I was in an accident deemed to be my fault. (btw they had never advised me of this detail when I took on the service plan nor when I organised for the loan vehicle). I immediately told them that they have to be kidding, I am a mature driver with an excellent driving record and even with my own personal insurance I am not liable for such a ridiculous excess charge. My 19 year old daughter on P's is not liable for that sort of excess on her vehicle. But accidents do happen and murphy's may apply so i will not take that chance - what sort of insurance are they offering? I retrieved my vehicle and told them to forget the service - I will make other arrangements.

So buyers beware it seems - the loan car service is not that good a deal from a risk point of view.

Have you hired out a car before from one of your everyday hire car companies? Toyota is no different in terms of this accident excess when you compare them to other major companies. If anything, that excess is better than other companies without the purchase of additional driver protection.

For example, if you read the terms and conditions for Hertz:

Damage to the rented vehicle and other vehicles or property

When you rent a vehicle from Hertz, you are responsible for returning that vehicle to hertz in the same condition it was in at the start of the rental, with the exception of fair wear and tear.

If you return the vehicle in a damaged state, generally speaking, you will be liable for the cost of repair of the damage (plus the cost of repairing damage to any other vehicle or property with which the rental vehicle collided) up to the amount of the Accident Damages Excess (ADE), which is a maximum of AUD$3300.00 (inclusive of GST).

Where it appears to Hertz that the cost of repairing the damage (plus the cost of repairing damage to any other vehicle or property with which the rental vehicle collided) may approach or exceed the amount of the ADE, Hertz will charge your credit, charge or debit card with the full amount of the ADE. If it later transpires that the actual cost of repairs are less than the ADE, Hertz will promptly credit the difference to your card.

Single Vehicle Accident

If the rental vehicle is damaged in a Single Vehicle Accident (an accident not involving a collision between the rental vehicle and another vehicle, other than a parked vehicle), you are liable for the cost of repair up to the amount of the ADE plus AUD$2,200 (inclusive of GST). This currently applies to all vehicles at all locations and can be waived with the purchase of Maximum Cover at participating locations.

Think about it, your insurance is just for you, this insurance is for 100's of people. The insurance on a rental or loan vehicle is going to be way more. $2000 isn't that bad, if you read the post by DJKOR and is definitely not something to go rage off about, just one them 'facts o life'.

Why would you worry about it anyways, its not like your going to crash it is it ;)

precisely as Mole said, the excess is so high to cater for all risk profiles (high and low) who hire the car. thats the only way those companies can get insurance on their hire cars, is to agree to imply a ridiculous excess. at least that way they can get their premiums for slightly less

Ok, thanks for the replies. You have made it very clear. Its obvious that I have very little experience in hiring cars these days and convinces me that cabbing is my best option next time.

Have you hired out a car before from one of your everyday hire car companies? Toyota is no different in terms of this accident excess when you compare them to other major companies. If anything, that excess is better than other companies without the purchase of additional driver protection.

For example, if you read the terms and conditions for Hertz:

When I'd get the mine spec 4wds on site vists for work the excess was something stupid like $5000, even then I wasn't technically covered as I was 'off road' and under 25 :lol: But I had it in writing from work that they would pay any excess.

Got a loan car once from my dealer and never paid to 'hire' it. Basiclly they gave me the keys and off I went.