i need more speed from my ke55

i have a toyota corolla 1980 ke55 sedan four speed with front disc and drum rear and 13in rims which i would like to upsize to about 15x7 if possible. four stud design. iwould also like to upgrade the 1.3 motor to about 2.2 and 5 speed. any and all fairdinkum ideas gratefully appreciated. any pics you may have to this approuch please post. Thank you

Regards

22RG?

No such thing, and I'm pretty sure you can't make one with a 22R block and 18RG heads...

Best bet would be a 4AGE, been done plenty of times and gives a lot of poke for a car that only weighs 800kg or so. Other options include 3SGE (but that takes a bit of effort to make RWD), 2TG, or straying outside of the Toyota family you'll get CA18s, SR20s etc aplenty.

As for wheels, I personally love the MA61 14x7 wheels on a KE55, they bolt straight on with the right tyres and make the car look 100% tougher (they're what I had on mine before I sold it)

you're right, i am an idiot.

i *meant* 22RE, not G

also, 18RG would be a better choice than the 22R.

but a 4A-GE would be better again, or a 3SGTE...

Edited by mick.wheelz

you're right, i am an idiot.

i *meant* 22RE, not G

also, 18RG would be a better choice than the 22R.

but a 4A-GE would be better again, or a 3SGTE...

Pain in the ***** to do 3SGTE conversion. I know a bloke doing prefabbed mounts for a 4AGE + T50 box into a KE55 (manual only, mounts need modifying to fit auto boxes models). Best choice IMO is a 2TG as you should be able to grab a T50 out of the same donor car. Need to grab a T series rear diff which should come with some bigger drums.

IMO, finding an old 4K and building it NA shouldn't set you back more a grand if you can do some of the work yourself. know the right people and look for secondhand bits, about 120hp is the limit out of them. Main thing is to get all tolerances checked, little bump in compression (no higher than 10:1), good carbies and get absolutely everything as balanced as possible.