Cold idle speed

My 2002 Corolla Levin idles at about 1600rpm (till it warms up) when it's first started on a cold morning (-1 to 4 deg)

Once the car has warmed up (midway on the gauge) it idles at about 700-800rpm

Is this nomal to idle so high when cold?

Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by Greenlevin

My 2002 Corolla Levin idles at about 1600rpm (till it warms up) when it's first started on a cold morning (-1 to 4 deg)

Once the car has warmed up (midway on the gauge) it idles at about 700-800rpm

Is this nomal to idle so high when cold?

Thanks for any feedback.

No its nothing to worry about... i dont get as cold as mornings as you, but when the car is first started, the revs jump straight up to around 1500-2000rpm. Then the revs will slowly come down, until the car is warm enough, which is around 1,100-1,200. Then i just gently drive it until completely warmed to operating temperature. I have a 1zz :yahoo::toast:

Evo

normal...

but if u got a CAI, you can barely drive it when cold anyways lol, i usually let it warm up 5-10 mins before driving, i start her up in the morning, put the heater on 25.5 degrees, go back inside and get ready for work, get in the car, nice n warm !!! wonder if anyone will jump the fence n steal my car one morning :unsure:

normal...

but if u got a CAI, you can barely drive it when cold anyways lol, i usually let it warm up 5-10 mins before driving, i start her up in the morning, put the heater on 25.5 degrees, go back inside and get ready for work, get in the car, nice n warm !!! wonder if anyone will jump the fence n steal my car one morning :unsure:

I've heard thats not a good idea, that it would actually do more damage to the engine than you would by driving it carefully when its cold, the reason being that if you let it idle, it ends up running for longer while its cold.

normal...

I've heard thats not a good idea, that it would actually do more damage to the engine than you would by driving it carefully when its cold, the reason being that if you let it idle, it ends up running for longer while its cold.

yeah..... well from what i know pistons arn't exactly circle aswell, reason being the piston expands due to more metal around the gudgeon pin, so its slightly oval, then goes more circle when hot... id imagine its better to let it warm up at low rpm instead of burnin oil rather than 3 or 4,000rpm..????? yes or no or am i wrong or what???? :unsure: 5-10 mins at idle isnt exactly operating tempretures anyway... its just past the 2nd little line in the temp guage...

normal...

yeah..... well from what i know pistons arn't exactly circle aswell, reason being the piston expands due to more metal around the gudgeon pin, so its slightly oval, then goes more circle when hot... id imagine its better to let it warm up at low rpm instead of burnin oil rather than 3 or 4,000rpm..????? yes or no or am i wrong or what???? :unsure: 5-10 mins at idle isnt exactly operating tempretures anyway... its just past the 2nd little line in the temp guage...

There is a compromise though, driving around in the low-rev range :P

Did my apprenticeship with Renault...so I know a little about this.

Firstly, make sure you are using the very best quality oil you can, and also make sure the grade (viscosity) is exactly correct, in winter it is crucial that the oil gets up to the vvti ( or vvtli) valve gear in the head as quickly as possible so the thinner the oil (as recommended) the better, such as synthetic 5w30 .

Idle for no longer than one minute, otherwise oil dilution (with rich mixture petrol) may occur , and then drive gently ( under 3000 revs ) until normal temperature is acheived.

I've forgotten the exact figures now but I remember that gentle driving warms the engine up around five times quicker than fast idling alone.

Hope this helps...

I'm not sure is this is of relevance, just from what I've heard here and there, but it's less wearing on the engine to be revving under load vs when under no load.

Possibly this has some effect here such as instead of idling at 1000RPM under no load, it will be under load but a little bit higher in revs, which in turn would be better for the engine?

I dunno, just a theory.

normal...

So Whats ur address? :whistling:

-Azza

normal...

So Whats ur address? :whistling:

-Azza

x2 :whistling:

That's what a remote starter is for. That way you car is locked while you start it and if it is opened without you unlocking it, the engine will stop. Most useful thing I had on my old Camry. I was a night filler at the time so when I left work at 6am in the morning, the car would be nice and toasty.

I own a 1zz with Short ram intake, revs jump to 2000 when start up in the morning, drops to around 1400 after 1 min, then I drive slowly coz i'm told not to warm up the car idle for too long...correct me if i'm wrong.

I told you that. So you are right.

B)